Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
!/8 e buggy question >

!/8 e buggy question

!/8 e buggy question

Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Red face !/8 e buggy question

Hey guys I am asking a question on 1/8e buggys. Everyone I know is constantly saying how the rc8 is not as durable as the mugen mbx 7 eco.I have always ran everything associated have no problem with running a mugen.But what are hte pro's and cons of both kits.Which is more easy to set up??? After the whole scamble I just want to know which one I should invest in when I get a 1/8e buggy for outdoor racing next year in the summer???
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I had a RC8BE that I ran a couple of times. I will say it was beefy. I crashed that buggy a few times and never had a problem. Everything on it is pretty stout
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Between those choices, I would choose the Mugen 7 ECO. A recent long time AE guy at our track just switched over to the Mugen and he says it's unreal how much better the Mugen is over the AE. I've gotten to drive the Mugen and it's definately nice. If I already didn't have the Tekno EB48.2 I would own a Mugen. I love my Tekno though and we've been have some great battles over the past few weeks.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

The Mugen tends to crack arms if you don't boil them. But the rest of the car is pure beef.

It's really easy to shred the caster uprights on the RC8. The RC8 eats drive shafts and has plastic and metal that wears as fast as Losi's. If the car works for you: Hey, that's great, But the AE ate up my budget quick in replacement parts.

My Durability pick goes towards the Xray. I haven't been able to break the Serpent either. Techno also looks tough.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheRcworld101 View Post
Hey guys I am asking a question on 1/8e buggys. Everyone I know is constantly saying how the rc8 is not as durable as the mugen mbx 7 eco.I have always ran everything associated have no problem with running a mugen.But what are hte pro's and cons of both kits.Which is more easy to set up??? After the whole scamble I just want to know which one I should invest in when I get a 1/8e buggy for outdoor racing next year in the summer???
I used to run the original RC8Be. I thought it was pretty fragile myself. The biggest problem was bent CVA's. That was a deal breaker for me. Steering was great though and it really works well on high grip tracks.

I run an MBX6 ECO and I love it. Superior components across the board. Some people complain about broken a-arms, but it's way overblown. After a year I have broken exactly ONE a-arm. That was with the original crap shock springs (version 1 of the kit) and a ton of chassis slapping. Some people hammer their cars then complain that the parts are weak. If you constantly trash your car, something has gotta give.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
The Mugen tends to crack arms if you don't boil them. But the rest of the car is pure beef.
My Durability pick goes towards the Xray. I haven't been able to break the Serpent either. Techno also looks tough.
Interesting cause I've seen a couple hit the wall (concrete) at full bore and kart wheeling down a straight and keep on racing as well
Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, my Techno is taking a pounding. Doesn't feel like the stongest plastic ever. It's not rubbery like the Xray arms. But it's hanging in there.

I followed another RC8B down the straight right into a Chicane. Literally. We both bounced off the same spot at WOT. Broken arm and caster block on the RC8, nothing broken on the Xray. Then I proceded to nail that Chicane at WOT 3 more times during that practice run.

C-hub style caster blocks just can't handle the abuse that the zero kingpin Losi/Xray/Serpent setups use.

I'll "joust" against an RC8 on pit lane any day, and twice on Sunday. Even though my ride is spoting them a pound, at least!

Everyone's scared to Joust against my Xray!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Well I have two ae cars with over 100 hours on each one, never broken a single part or dnf'd in a year's racing and practice. The aluminium outdrives wear fairly quickly-I switched to the steel ones from the rc8 issue solved-using kyosho center shafts so now those are bulletproof. Other than the upper arms getting shaped like a banana after a month or two (they don't break just need to check your camber) these cars have been solid. If you get a kit do yourself a favor and get some good bearings right from the start as the stockers don't last long.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
I'll Preface this with, "the feel of the car is very personal. What works for 1 driver may not work for another."

I have owned a Mugen & an Agama. I have driven Techno, Losi, AE, & serpent. The Agama is the most bullet proof vehicle I have ever seen! In 2 years of running the only part that broke was the front top shock screw (several of those). My son bent the front tower trying to do a back flip & landing on the tower. The same crash bent a front hinge pin & boogered up an arm. The bushings for the ackerman bar are only good for about 2-3 race days, but that can now be solved by using Losi steering blocks & bearing mounted ackerman bar (straight drop in). Other than that, the plastics were good for 1.5 years & the f/r out drives about a year (still on the same centers). I did things with this buggy that would have broken lesser buggies in half! If your looking for durability & like sliding the rear around corners, the Agama is hands down the car for you.

In the 2 months I've owned my mbx7 eco I have broken 2 front arms (1 my fault for setting the droop wrong & pulling a pillow ball out), & bent a drive shaft (same accident that broke the other arm. The bent shaft is VERY minor, I'm still running it. The handling on this buggy is PERFECT for my style. It has just enough turn in so it gets there quick with out being twitchy & has GOBS of on power steering. The Agama would slide around a corner till the REAR wheels are pointed where I want to go, then nail the throttle & launch in that direction. The mugen rolls through the corner, then roll on the throttle & it pulls the rest of the buggy to whereever the front wheels are pointed. I'm not terribly impressed with the durability, but it FAR from fragile. The wear, so far, is extremely minimal.

The Losi is similar to the Agama in design, but the plastic seems to wear faster. I haven't been as impressed with the handling of the Losi's I've driven as the Agama.

AE Makes a GREAT handling buggy, after you spend about $200 on hop ups to get the verticle caster blocks & a few other things. From what I have seen, the problems with the driveshafts stem from the use of aluminum stub axles. They wear out VERY FAST (as they will on any vehicle). Once they wear they cause the drive shafts to bend & break. The 2 haven't seen with that problem have used the steel stubs from either the older rc8b or the rs version. After all that is done & watched closely, the AE is a very good buggy.

With out having seen a brand new xray in person I have to say the Serpent looks to have the best plastic, & build quality out of the box I have seen (Mugen is a very close 2nd though ). The 2 I'm familiar with seemed to be very durable & had very minimal wear. The 2 guys that raced them locally could never get them to handle the way they liked. They both ended up selling them & getting faster with their new buggies (1 Mugen & 1 AE). I found the 1 I drove to handle similarly to the Agama, but not as much tail out & launch.

There have been several Technos at the track. They seem to have good build quality & wear, but the front end seems VERY fragile compared to other 1/8 buggies (make sure you have several front arms in your box for race day). I saw a total of 5 arms broken in 1 race day over 3 eb48's. I have driven 3 different buggies & they all drive exactly like my Agama does, except they seem to be nose heavy over jumps. Must buggies if you roll off the throttle the nose comes down to make a nice arc. All 3 technos I drove, if I rolled off to no throttle they would lawn dart & would not bring the nose back up. It doesn't jump bad, just differnt.

There are also several Kyosho's at the track. I haven't spent more than a few laps driving them, so I won't discuss that. They seem well made & durable. They are just too expensive for my budget, so I never really looked at them.

The most important thing in looking for a buggy is what fits your style of driving. Try to borrow drive from as many as you can & decide what works best for you & live with it's quirks. In a perfect world my buggy would have the out of the box quality if the serpent, the durability of the Agama, & the handling of the Mugen. I opted for the handling of the Mugen.