Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Replacing name brand ESC with HW >

Replacing name brand ESC with HW

Replacing name brand ESC with HW

Old 11-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

the HW 1/10th stuff is very good and probably the most robust for the price. It works well in everything from stock buggy to 4x4 sct. HW is getting ready to make the new reedy esc as well. nothing wrong with HW. they have the most under rated esc's on the market.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If you don't already have the program card get the combo for $84bucks:

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...combo-for-1-10

Comes with the extreme stock esc, program unit AND motor...so basically the motor is free.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockin G View Post
Not going to publicly flame my name brand EAC woes, but if I was to replace, or at least have a backup for said ESC with a Hobbywing.Which amp ESC would I need? I am running a 13.5 on a. t4.2....
You have PM
Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Been using the kinda expensive stuff & have a failure & replacing after less then a year .
Unfortunately expensive doesn't always mean quality in today's day and age.

The Viper units seem like tanks though and have been solid for me so far. Granted it's only been a couple months since I re-entered the RC scene but I'm hoping the good start continues.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Barge View Post
Unfortunately expensive doesn't always mean quality in today's day and age.

The Viper units seem like tanks though and have been solid for me so far. Granted it's only been a couple months since I re-entered the RC scene but I'm hoping the good start continues.
Not intending to flame Viper , but seen plenty of those go too .

Not sure if any of these brands are close to the reliability they claim ..

Been researching HobbyWings for more product knowledge , and comparing as its getting expensive for me ..LoL
Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have lost 4 of the "green" ones and 1 "T" brand . I know it would look like the green is the looser in this deal , but the "T" went in just a few (3)packs in a track buggy. More dissapointing to me considering what I paid for it .The "green " ones went through hell before they popped. My sct pro has been impressing me since i bought it . I went mmpro , then viper , then monster , then sct pro and every one was an improvement over the last . I dont feel like any 1 is on top anymore ...
Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Have been using HW xeruns for 2 plus years. Zero failures and programming card is awesome. Software thru the computer is difficult but doable.

I have a 120 amp HW running in my 2s 1/8 scale and working great. No heat issues. I use a 60 amp in my 1/10 4wd with no heat issues on an indoor track.
5.5 turn motor

I prefer to spend the money I save on entry fees and use cheap electrics to beat the expensive stuff- I take pride in that

I also have 3 viper systems that have been bulletproof as well and their programmer card is also great.

They both function well although I have never been happy with the brake power on one of the Viper esc.

just my .02
Old 11-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I agree and disagree on the braking power. HW v2.1 508 blinky has terrible brakes. Not with the mod or stock firmware sure, it has massive brakes. But then again, I only run like 50% brake on my vipers and like 60-70 on the HW. I never had a need for full brake in racing.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

it's all very simple, if you buy a speed control from Hobby Wing you get a six month warranty. If you buy from Hobby King what kind of warranty are you going to get for saving 25 30 dollars?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

I dig HW ESC's and motors. Simply put, they work. As for if they are the same as a HobbyKing, who really cares. Ultimately you either buy the HW for the warranty and excellent customer service or you head to the WalMart of electronics and get HobbyKing and have the opposite of the HobbyWing.

The Xerun series ESC's are a great product and work extremely well. I regularly am super competitive against many Tekin and Orion's on the track. To me that's good enough. If you feel like you can't do as much as the higher end brand names, save your money and go with that. Also, there's no way the quality of some cheap ESC is going to match that of Tekin, Novak, Orion, etc. The quality control of these brands is what ultimately sets them apart, plus just the sheer amount of R&D they have done over the many years of being in business.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
it's all very simple, if you buy a speed control from Hobby Wing you get a six month warranty. If you buy from Hobby King what kind of warranty are you going to get for saving 25 30 dollars?
You get a one year warranty with Hobbyking. I have 7 x-car 120's in different cars. I've had one fail and Hobbyking shipped me a new one without even returning the broken one. IMO, that's a better warranty than the name brand stuff.
If I could afford it, I would buy Hobbywing ESCs, but I save more like $70 each with the X-car ESCs.