Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Schumacher Cougar KF!!! >

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

As the KF is mainly a high grip car, you would at least need to add the low grip conversion as well as the shock flip bulkhead to move weight even further back. Of course your buddies mid motor cars have more weight on the rear, that is the design differences between the cars. They are running more of a SV2 car than yours. Swapping the LG chassis and flipping the shocks will add about 5-8% more weight to the rear. That is a big change.

If that doesnt work, throw down an SV2 and leave them in your dust
Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you for the information.

I ordered the c/f top plates and the belt. The low grip kit is not in stock which in fact was a good thing for me as I realised the LG chassis is the standard one plus 4 holes and the clearance holes extended for the spur gear and the motor C clamp... as matter of less than an hour on my miller.

I'm still waiting for the parts but I'm not getting 59.4% Rear and 40.6% front which is a good weight shift.

The idea of flipping the shocks is really good thanks.
I tried to put it more or less where the flipping puts the shocks but only managed to add less than 10g on the rear and -6 to the front staticly. Perhaps the biggest change from this is the wing leverage at higher speed which would push the rear a lot more.

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Just a thought... could the shock oil help me ?
My first setup was the stock at 350cst front and rear with stock springs (4.0front 2.0rear) and stock pistons.

At the moment I still have stock pistons and springs but 450cst at the front and 350 rear. It might be too much ?

Here's a typical track layout that I go to:

Mostly carpet but sometimes there's a corner or two without carpet and it's super slippery... also the track being a little narrow if I happen to step out it's a disaster with the kf... (like the bend at the end of the long straight to make it gentle rather than a tight 90 bend)

thank you very much again

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

I find the ball diff helps in low traction, stops the fish tailing out of corners on wet astro.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Tried the ball diff (from my sx3) but couldn't make it work where I tried.
Actually my problem isn't so much out of corner but going in the corner.
At higher speed I found the car tougher on straights, she's very sensitive then.
But I'll try the ball diff again with the Low grip chassis and see what's happens thank you.

Big advantage of the kf is the accessibility of it's rear diff . 4 screws and out!
Quite different from my 22 2.0 or almost any 2wd car (apart from the xb4 and tm2) where it's quite a job to get to it !

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

I agree the ball diff will add more rear grip....

that is pretty thick for stock undrilled pistons... I run 25 losi with 1.6 drilled pistons. It it were me I would keep going up in front shock oil and springs.... eventually you will hit a point where it wont transfer so much weight off throttle and under steer will start
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

If you post your entire best setup we could surely tweak a few things to mellow it out
Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

is the only way to get the shocks on the rear of the tower by adding this
Schumacher U4616 - Alloy Upper Rear Trans Housing V2 - KF/K1/Aero ? Im in the process of converting to the low grip chassis.

thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you very much for your time.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing... I've filled a pdf file and put it here:

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/07/0...onathan-kf.pdf

I hope it's okay

Thank you

Jonathan

Ps: One thing that bugs me a little as well is that the car's steering is very very sensitive around neutral and very gentle after I've passe neutral. I tried removing/adding ackermann without much success... Any idea?

Last edited by shannow; 07-07-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Trying to get the pdf file to work, sorry.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Jay rb5 View Post
Schumacher U4616 - Alloy Upper Rear Trans Housing V2 - KF/K1/Aero ? Im in the process of converting to the low grip chassis.

thanks
Yup.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

ok, thx. I ordered them
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by shannow View Post
Thank you very much for your time.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing... I've filled a pdf file and put it here:

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/07/0...onathan-kf.pdf

I hope it's okay

Thank you

Jonathan

Ps: One thing that bugs me a little as well is that the car's steering is very very sensitive around neutral and very gentle after I've passe neutral. I tried removing/adding ackermann without much success... Any idea?
There's no shock mounting positions of camber link positions marked... can you mark those? going from a high grip surface to polished floor in the same lap is going to be a compromise of handling to say the least. get it to feel the best you can through some setup changes.. but dont expect it to handle phenomenal on both surfaces
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jay rb5 View Post

thanks
Not necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry I forgot to mark the rear arm shock position it's on the outside hole.

Everything is marked but for some reason if you look at the file through the website it shows no markings . When I download the file everything (apart the rear arm shock position) is marked.

Anyway basically apart from the oil everything is stock as I'm trying to feel the car first and adapt my driving skills to it. I'm trying to drive the car without touching the brakes at all following the advice's of my mates at the club. If I do brake it is set very low at around 20-30%ATL max.

I'm afraid that you are right, it will be a big compromise. To be honest I love the kf when I'm on the carpet she's very fast and really efficient but I loose everything on the slippery bits because of the almost instant fishtailing...

Thank you for your help.

Jonathan
Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

The ball diff from the SX3 won't fit properly as the pulley will force the belt to run in the centre when it wants to be offset, this will cause the belt to fail. The ball diff from the K1 will work, all you have to do is change the diff pulley as the out drives etc are the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.