Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Schumacher Cougar KF!!! >

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have been running the car box stock except for the shorty conversion. Here are a few observations so far. At both the carpet courses I have run at, the car just works. I tried to add a little bit of camber up front but the car seems to like one degrees. Also, I am running the shorty conversion. Make sure the battery is snug in the holders cause if there is play/movement, you could snap them. Of the three battery positions, I have been running with the battery the most rearward. When I tried moving the battery to the middle position, too much steering was lost. The weight balance of this car is fantastically centralized. It jumps straight and flies level. Also, this car attracted a lot of attention and admiration where I was running. It was the only one there, which I thought was odd because the KF was developed for the exact conditions found at the indoor, carpet, off-road track. So far, I've had a very positive experience. I did strip the splines on the stock servo horn. I was wondering what would be a good replacement. Is there a servo saver that fits this car? Thank you for your time fellows; enjoy the car and the races!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b_recliner View Post
I have been running the car box stock except for the shorty conversion. Here are a few observations so far. At both the carpet courses I have run at, the car just works. I tried to add a little bit of camber up front but the car seems to like one degrees. Also, I am running the shorty conversion. Make sure the battery is snug in the holders cause if there is play/movement, you could snap them. Of the three battery positions, I have been running with the battery the most rearward. When I tried moving the battery to the middle position, too much steering was lost. The weight balance of this car is fantastically centralized. It jumps straight and flies level. Also, this car attracted a lot of attention and admiration where I was running. It was the only one there, which I thought was odd because the KF was developed for the exact conditions found at the indoor, carpet, off-road track. So far, I've had a very positive experience. I did strip the splines on the stock servo horn. I was wondering what would be a good replacement. Is there a servo saver that fits this car? Thank you for your time fellows; enjoy the car and the races!
Core or Racers Edge servo horns are the best fitting. The stock Schumacher servo horns are hot garbage. The KF gets a lot of attention in the pits because it is so different looking, and has one of the best bodies out there in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The B4 knuckles dont fit without sleeving the hinge pin hole. The V2 knuckles are stronger than the originals. I havent broken one in months.

Most people are scared to try anything new..... but that is changing slowly
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Good to go, I'll stay running the V2's. In honesty, the blast of a beating I put on that knuckle would have snapped most any. As for trying new stuff, I am certainly glad I did. I am new to 1/10 2wd and the transition is going along very smoothly with the KF. Question for you fellows; when I enter the straight, if I come on the throttle quickly my buggy loses straight line tracking and meanders back and forth but if I get on the throttle slower it stays straight even at full speed. Is this the general nature of these cars or is there something I can do to controllably get on the throttle more rapidly? I am running the Tom Cockerill medium grip carpet setup found in the manual.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

Setup changes can certainly help that... take a look at his motorama setup on petitrc... that was a med grip track
Old 03-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Ok, here are some pics of axle. First pics show bearings are in and flush. Second show everything together but the catch is the screw isn't even threaded into axle (its to short). Several others show the gap between the axles that I am holding in and outer bearing. Going to try using a .5 washer to fill the gap and see if that helps mesh everything together.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0015.jpg   Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0016.jpg   Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0017.jpg   Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0019.jpg   Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0024.jpg  

Old 03-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0020.jpg   Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-pict0023.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

I see whats going on.... the bearing goes on the axle on the rh side of the flange (in your pics)... right next to the hex.

Take the hex off, put the bearing on the axle then slide it into the knuckle, insert the small inner bearing then tighten the screw...you put the hex on alittle early
Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

This is how it looks assembled... flange in on the inside of the knuckle
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-cam00465.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

The manual is wrong for the KF... I just took a alook and they show it going together just like your trying.

Check out the KR manual step 15a

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh.../KR_manual.pdf
Old 03-16-2014, 05:10 PM
zpg
Tech Adept

Enjoying my build of my first Schumacher kit. Sadly though, it appears I have a missed manufactured part. On Step 33, bag t6-0295, one of the rear shock bodies has not been milled out to accept the orange o-rings and spacers. I have attached a picture that shows the defect. I am wanting to know whom would be the best person to contact in getting this rectified at Schumacher? Any help to point me in the proper direction would be much appreciated. Other then this issue I am looking forward to completing and running my new KF.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Ill send you one... PM your address it'll go out tomorrow
Old 03-16-2014, 05:22 PM
zpg
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
Ill send you one... PM your address it'll go out tomorrow
Thanks Tony, PM Sent.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

No problem at all.... its already packed and ready to go tomorrow
Old 03-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
I see whats going on.... the bearing goes on the axle on the rh side of the flange (in your pics)... right next to the hex.

Take the hex off, put the bearing on the axle then slide it into the knuckle, insert the small inner bearing then tighten the screw...you put the hex on alittle early
I was out in the garage when you posted this but yes I figured it out. I still had to grind the outer part of axle to fit into the inner bearing where you attach small screw. I thought the plastic on the knuckle wasn't deep enough for bearing to seat. I grinded it down to countersink bearing in farther. Now I have a wobble and had to shim the bearing on inside of knuckle. Know if I am reading right in the last few post these break and people are using Associated knuckles?????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.