Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Schumacher Cougar KF!!! >

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Tech Regular

Josh, with the side gears do you feel a rough part of the mesh when turning them with a slight increase in resistance or do they go really tight?
You could check each gear and look for any bruising on the teeth, and if found dress with a needle file.
My side gears were a bit notchy which gave a slight increase in resistance when turning by hand from new but they soon bedded in nicely. A small amount of grease quitens them down nicely as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The gears will break in. Apply grease as directed by the instructions. They will break in smooth after a couple packs.

I believe they are 2.5mm Mo. What caster blocks are you looking at using?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badger5 View Post
Josh, with the side gears do you feel a rough part of the mesh when turning them with a slight increase in resistance or do they go really tight?
You could check each gear and look for any bruising on the teeth, and if found dress with a needle file.
My side gears were a bit notchy which gave a slight increase in resistance when turning by hand from new but they soon bedded in nicely. A small amount of grease quitens them down nicely as well.
Yes they slightly bind in one area only. A small file sounds good though.

Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
The gears will break in. Apply grease as directed by the instructions. They will break in smooth after a couple packs.

I was actually thinking that they would probably break in but good to know. Don't know on the caster blocks yet. thx
Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use B4 steering knuckles and stock caster blocks. Broke 3 knuckles in 3 weeks so switched to B4 and have not broken anything since.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Tony. I want to use them on the Yokomo Bmax 2. I believe they are 2.5mm also. Hopefully will have my car today to check it out.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Thanks, Just got here today. Wow that was fast shipping and free. Kit has 12500 rear diff lube. Should I go thinner on high grip track?
I run 5k in my gear diff. The car will drive much differently with the gear diff as opposed to the ball diff option. I think most guys are running the ball diff, but the gear diff works for me on high bite clay and is definitely better on carpet.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Ok another issue. Step 30 installing front axles. The supplied m3x4 screw is to short. I tried a m3x6 and it works but the issue is if tightened the axle will lock. If left loose and then using thread lock then that is all your relying on to keep front axle together. One jump from me and tire will be flying off. Thought when installing bearings that they weren't seated all the way but they are. help!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Ok another issue. Step 30 installing front axles. The supplied m3x4 screw is to short. I tried a m3x6 and it works but the issue is if tightened the axle will lock. If left loose and then using thread lock then that is all your relying on to keep front axle together. One jump from me and tire will be flying off. Thought when installing bearings that they weren't seated all the way but they are. help!
Do you have the right size bearings fitted in each side of the hub? I can't understand how 4mm will be too short but 6mm is too long, if with 4mm screws the thread won't engage with the axle but just 2mm is too long really does say that something isn't built right.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Post a pic of your assembly, giving us a good visual might help.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

The axles can be alittle tricky the first time... double check its going together correctly
Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

What was Carson running at Cactus Classis? SV2 or KF?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

KF
Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

I will post pics tomorrow when I get back in town. Bearings are seated correctly and are flush on both sides of the steering block. When sliding axle through it sits about 1mm away from coming contact with other side bearing. So when installing screw it will pinch the bearings. Anyways its probably something simple, but will post up pic tomorrow eve.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

KF
Pity he din get the bump up in B main.
Got into the As for 4wd though.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s14det View Post
I use B4 steering knuckles and stock caster blocks. Broke 3 knuckles in 3 weeks so switched to B4 and have not broken anything since.
do the knuckles drop right in with no modding? I broke both the original knuckles on the car and noticed the replacement pack I bought is labeled v2 so maybe they are stronger now. haven't broken one of those yet but if they start going, I might switch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.