Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Schumacher Cougar KF!!! >

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Schumacher Cougar KF!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by poochy View Post
the guys running the rear shocks behind the rr arms-did you notice the wing touching up against the shock mount post?
Originally Posted by nhraman View Post
I notched mine out with a dremel tool.
Ditto.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cokemaster View Post
I cannot get the ride height lower than 21mm in the rear. The front is no problem. I am using Tom's carpet setup, but even with the spring collar all the way up, it is 21mm. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
You may not have the rod ends screwed all the way down.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

what is the weight difference between the alloy and kit rr suspension blocks?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I built the KF on Sunday and Monday and decided to run it last night for the club race instead of my super dialed SV2. My initial impression of the KF is that it has incredible potential. The car is very stable and jumps amazingly well. The smoothness and efficiency of the belt drive was immediately noticeable and the car was very quick. I built the car to kit specs other than the shock setup which I carried over from my SV2 setup. I unfortunately only had a couple of laps in with the car before the race and was also on brand new tires, so traction was lacking. I will not blame the lack of rear grip on the gear diff until I can run the car on properly broken in tires. I made slight changes to rear shock location, but other than that the car was ran the way I built it. I expect to see this car outperforming my SV2 with some more tweaking, but the traditional mid motor layout is still the faster car for now.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Yup looking forward to mine arriving once they are back in stock
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

I found the best way for rear traction on our Clay track is with rear arms all the way back, 1 mm shim for more rear toe-in. Arms set for the most anti-squat. Once I moved the rear arms fully back it came alive on our clay track. (Side bite under power and forward traction) I also added (3) 5oz weights inside the rear diff housing. 2 on the sides and 1 on top. Belt runs between with 0 contact. I also used the Ball diff as I could not keep oil in the gear diff.

Setup

Front
25w (Full rebound)
Top - 2nd hole in from the outside
Bottom - Outside
Stock Arm

Rear (Tower mounted on back side)
20w (Full rebound)
Top - 2nd hole out from the inside
Bottom - Outside
Med Flex Arm

Using Saddle packs.
Camber links are all stock locations. **Edit: rear inner camber link spacer taken out**
1 degree camber on all 4.

Also there is now about 1-2 degrees of toe-in on the front. ***Edit: Front Toe at 0***

Belt set loose as I run 17.5.

Converted over to B4 steering knuckles as I have broken 3 stock ones in 3 weeks. Even with all the slop from the B4 Knuckles it powers through turns like they are not there. I was about to sell the KF until I moved the arms fully back and added more toe-in. It then showed promised so started to tweak.

Also using Drag brake set at 32 on the Tekin Gen 2 which helps the weight move to the front but with this setup the back end stays put. I'm able to put some power down during the turn instead of just have to coast. It's no full throttle LOL but able to power in and out of a corner.

I let a friend of mine drive it that drives a hooked up Centro and was surprised at how much steering it had and speed it carried through the corners compared to his Centro.

First 3 weeks this was a Donut King on our high bite clay anytime I give it power it wanted to show off by doing Donuts in the corners/beginning of the straight.

Now will just have to see how well it does on the outdoor tracks this summer

Edit: As of 1-11 set TQ in Stock buggy class. Went from coming pretty much in last place to the front in about 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by s14det; 01-12-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

I see that many of the team drivers are running with quite a lot of rear camber, 3 degrees neg. It seems that this really helps with rear traction but no adverse side effects, I'll test mine this weekend and a few other set up changes with drilling the rear shock pistons to reduce pack. Loving this car though.

Has anyone tried the option side gears to give high inertia? I saw Tom Cockerill tried it at our track and he TQ'd and won when normal mid motor cars should have been better as the track was low traction.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

[QUOTE Converted over to B4 steering knuckles as I have broken 3 stock ones in 3 weeks. Even with all the slop from the B4 Knuckles it powers through turns like they are not there. I was about to sell this until I moved the arms fully back and added more toe-in. It then showed promised so started to tweak. [/QUOTE]

Did you sleeve the AE steering knuckles with brass?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rhett McNair View Post
[QUOTE Converted over to B4 steering knuckles as I have broken 3 stock ones in 3 weeks. Even with all the slop from the B4 Knuckles it powers through turns like they are not there. I was about to sell this until I moved the arms fully back and added more toe-in. It then showed promised so started to tweak.
Did you sleeve the AE steering knuckles with brass?[/QUOTE]

All I did was use the B4 hinge pins and dril out the caster blocks. Then used a small screw and drilled a hole right in the middle of the knuckles to hold the pin in. This is the same screw that is used on the bottom of the B4 caster block. I found this on the SVR thread here on rctech. Just completed this last night and works awesome with 0 slop. I also installed the Jconcepts axles as it does not need the stuipd C clip's like the stock B4 setup.

I race at Adams Creek in Tulsa, Ok. If I remember correctly I think you have come up to Adams a few times from Dallas. Not sure you remember but I had the SVR with the British flag painted on it.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

whn mountng the shocks rr of the rr arms (more exposed), check shock shafts for slight bends from crashes.

im gonna put it back to the frnt for more protection.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s14det View Post
Did you sleeve the AE steering knuckles with brass?

All I did was use the B4 hinge pins and dril out the caster blocks. Then used a small screw and drilled a hole right in the middle of the knuckles to hold the pin in. This is the same screw that is used on the bottom of the B4 caster block. I found this on the SVR thread here on rctech. Just completed this last night and works awesome with 0 slop. I also installed the Jconcepts axles as it does not need the stuipd C clip's like the stock B4 setup.

I race at Adams Creek in Tulsa, Ok. If I remember correctly I think you have come up to Adams a few times from Dallas. Not sure you remember but I had the SVR with the British flag painted on it.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I remember! We are planning another trip in the next two months or so.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rhett McNair View Post

Oh yeah, I remember! We are planning another trip in the next two months or so.

The new Layout is really awesome, alot of elavation changes. Should still be around if you make it up here in a few months.

Anyway back on topic for the awesome KF
Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Finally ready
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-rsz_ok2_020.jpg   Schumacher Cougar KF!!!-rsz_ok2_021.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badger5 View Post
I see that many of the team drivers are running with quite a lot of rear camber, 3 degrees neg. It seems that this really helps with rear traction but no adverse side effects, I'll test mine this weekend and a few other set up changes with drilling the rear shock pistons to reduce pack. Loving this car though.

Has anyone tried the option side gears to give high inertia? I saw Tom Cockerill tried it at our track and he TQ'd and won when normal mid motor cars should have been better as the track was low traction.
I did some testing today and tried running 3 degrees neg camber...it did seem to help. I was able to run enough laps to get my tires broken in to a much more usable state and I saw lap times as good as I had been running with my SV2 begin to come around by the end of the session. I also added weight on top of the rear camber link plate as much as 1.5 oz and settled on .5 oz I am still running the gear diff with the 12,500 oil and plan to try some other weights soon, but I like the way it drives right now. This car jumps extremely well and is very stable. Corner speed through long sweeping sections is superb.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

On properly broken in tires and with a few more laps on the KF, I manged a tie for 1st in mod buggy and with the tie breaker a 2nd overall. My fastest lap was a 16.9 which was my previous best with the SV2, so I am definitely seeing the potential to get even better with more time on the KF. Keep in mind that I am running the car nearly box stock other than 25 wt oil in the shocks and a 1.8 rear spring. Rear shocks all the way inside on tower and 1/2 oz on the rear camber plate....that's it, the rest is kit setup!!! This car is DIALED guys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.