Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
db01 rr vs bmax 3 >

db01 rr vs bmax 3

db01 rr vs bmax 3

Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Default db01 rr vs bmax 3

Hello guys,

Christmas is coming up and since I have been a good boy this year, my wife has told me that I can get a new toy

My main interest is rallying, but I thought I would try a proper off-roader for a change.

I have narrowed it down to the db01rr and the bmax 3.

The bmax is arguably the better car, but also 350us$ vs the db01's 270us$.
Aslo the bmax uses saddle packs of which I don't have any...

The db01rr is the newest rendering of the venerable db01 and should be a very good piece of kit.

I only race at club level and not that often and I'm not afraid of admitting that my driving skills could be improved

So, which car would you guys choose?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Having a good time ? Like running something different ?
The db01rr is a nice car, go for it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you'll be much better off getting a B Max 4 version II, the price is similar to the Tamiya and the plastic will be more durable.

Or pick up a used BMax 4 II world used since new one is coming so lots of people will be selling theirs cheap
Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I owned and loved a DB01R with big bores & gear diffs, so it was essentially a DB01RR, but to compare it to a Yokomo BMax III is not a competition! The Yok is a more serious machine and is certainly the better racer of the two. If you have parts support for it where you are, get the Yok, hands down! If you want to save a few bucks, go with a used BMax II Worlds kit over the III like ZZZ said.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

AFAIK, the DB01RR does not comes with body, and the body is an additional cost to it.

the Bmax 4-3 is competitive OOB, and dun nd any hopups to make it race ready, cept for electronics.

for club racing, both shd suits u. most important is what brands of parts does ur local LHS stock up more, then go for it. no point having a car that your local LHS don't really have parts for.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
I owned and loved a DB01R with big bores & gear diffs, so it was essentially a DB01RR, but to compare it to a Yokomo BMax III is not a competition! The Yok is a more serious machine and is certainly the better racer of the two. If you have parts support for it where you are, get the Yok, hands down! If you want to save a few bucks, go with a used BMax II Worlds kit over the III like ZZZ said.
Yep agree with this.

These tamiya "R" and "RR" cars are not true race cars. they are just tamiya buggies with all the racey hop ups. That doesn't mean they can't be raced successfully though, they just won't do as well as a true from the ground up racing machine.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you've never owned a Yoke, you're in for a treat. Incredible parts fit and quality.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viking252200
Hello guys,

Christmas is coming up and since I have been a good boy this year, my wife has told me that I can get a new toy

My main interest is rallying, but I thought I would try a proper off-roader for a change.

I have narrowed it down to the db01rr and the bmax 3.

The bmax is arguably the better car, but also 350us$ vs the db01's 270us$.
Aslo the bmax uses saddle packs of which I don't have any...

The db01rr is the newest rendering of the venerable db01 and should be a very good piece of kit.

I only race at club level and not that often and I'm not afraid of admitting that my driving skills could be improved

So, which car would you guys choose?
The DB01 platform is a great club racer. I have recently knocked the dust of my 501x WE and put my 502x on the shelf. The TRF 501x, 511, and DB01RR share a common layout with the acception of battery placement and the suspension geometry is the same. Granted the the DB01RR is not equipped with a carbon fiber chassis, this does not take allot away from its handling characteristics. I think you will be pleased if you buy either a DB01RR or a BMAX. Good luck with what ever you choose.