Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Losi SCTE (not 2.0) still a good race truck to learn with? >

Losi SCTE (not 2.0) still a good race truck to learn with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi SCTE (not 2.0) still a good race truck to learn with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Cool Losi SCTE (not 2.0) still a good race truck to learn with?

For a rookie driver beginning to have some reasonable skills, is the Losi SCTE still considered a capable / durable / serviceable short course truck to break into the 4X4 SCT Sportsman's class?

Seems like the version 1.0 is a dime a dozen now that the 2.0 is out and parts support is still good?

Pros / cons / points of view? Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the biggest difference between the 2.0 and the 1.0 is the fact that the layout of the electronics have been changed. So its just a shifting of the weight around the chassis. The 1.0 is a great truck and is still competitive. As far as maintenance goes they're equal, all he new diff cases for the 2.0 are transferable to the 1.0.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just got back into the sport in may of this year. did 10-ish races in a BLITZ and picked up a used SCTE 1.0 with a flex tuned chassis and the tunning kit on a great deal and built it up. its a serious blast to drive. I'm currently picking up the parts (one at a time lol) to convert to a 2.0... every serivced part gets upgraded (diffs, hardend balls, etc). All of this is my opinion after racing against and driving my closest competators 2.0

1.0 Pros:
-Dime a dozen cheap
-TLR tuning kit is even on sale most places
-can compete in local A mains (for sure)
-easy to learn basic tuning on (both trucks though)

1.0 Cons:
-harder to learn to jump with (its a nose down flyer for sure)
-Always looking for more rear traction (while doing anything you can to take front traction away)
-until its setup, you really want to muscle the truck around (once you dial it in "close" the truck feels more comforatable to drive smoothly)

2.0 Pros:
-Latest and greatest... lots of bling if you are into it
-easier to jump (the layout helps keep the nose up a little)
-everything is beefed up
-easier to clean between races
-Corners flatter and more consistently

2.0 Cons:
-$$$

The only draw back i see is that the 2.0 costs more money. but if you are like me, and get a really good deal on the 1.0/TLR... it might be worth it to just slowly build the 2.0. once you upgrade the diffs and wear items its $140ish to finish up (say a between seasons tear down and rebuild).

my buddy and closest competitions truck is a 2.0 and set up almost identical to my 1.0 (same tires, motor, gearing, esc, rear suspension, etc). the biggest difference is he doesnt need to run a stiff front spring (i run the stiffest front spring and he runs the middle spring) to aid in jumping and to take steering out (yet his corners more level according to all the people watching the races)... last week we ran the same everything (but front springs) and we were within .06 seconds on our 20 lap average.

driving his truck; he just has more traction over all and it easier to "find a line" and stay consistent. the 1.0, i feel, has less room for error because of the chassis ballance and the way it likes to jump. It forces you to be consistent lap after lap and i think that is helping me learn. its a little trickier to pass in because going "off line" is more of a challenge.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by HandyRacing
For a rookie driver beginning to have some reasonable skills, is the Losi SCTE still considered a capable / durable / serviceable short course truck to break into the 4X4 SCT Sportsman's class?

Seems like the version 1.0 is a dime a dozen now that the 2.0 is out and parts support is still good?

Pros / cons / points of view? Thanks
+1

Great truck to take out and bash or hit your local track for some laps. Plenty of adjustability and power. Go up a few teeth on the pinion and the truck hauls A$$.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

most of the parts #s are the same, so availability won't be an issue.

With the 2.0, it seems easier to get a setup with consistent steering and neutral handling. But, if you can get a 1.0 on the cheap I would go for it.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you want to change the layout to be more like the 2.0 later you can buy the MIP Pro4mance kit for it. This moves things around for better balance and sheds weight. But the 1.0 is still an outstanding truck they way it comes.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HandyRacing
Thanks everyone for the input.
I had both. The 1.0 is a good choice for a rookie. Very durable and stable. I would highly recommend the TLR upgrade kit for it. The only thing about the truck that can be difficult is its tendency to seriously nose down on jumps. It wouldn't consider it a deal breaker though and it is fixable. The 2.0 is definitely superior, but I would never talk someone out of buying a 1.0.