R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadJabba
in sydney the 3 major brands where you will be able to get parts for at the track are

Mugen
Xray and
Kyosho

So you prob should buy one of those three, otherwise you will need to stock up on parts and have to start from scratch with setup advice.
yeah i am leaning to xray or mugen. i like the xray motor mount, but i have also noticed mugen have a aftermarket brand that makes a similar one. does the prospec come with the front and rear alloy supports?

also what is this motor you guys are mentioning? is it a OS? if so i can get these cheap
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:20 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
yeah i am leaning to xray or mugen. i like the xray motor mount, but i have also noticed mugen have a aftermarket brand that makes a similar one. does the prospec come with the front and rear alloy supports?

also what is this motor you guys are mentioning? is it a OS? if so i can get these cheap

prospec comes with 1 peice engine mount, but doesnt have the removable top plate though. RVM makes a true 1 peice with the removable top plate for the mugen. prospec comes with rear aluminium hubs.

p.s i dont think xrays 1 peice engine mount is standard, its an optional part.

and no one use alumium arms for the front - those hop ups are usually restricted to MT's

they are refering to the novarossi 421b.... i highly doubt they can get over 12.5minute run time with it at normal race tune and throttle usage... possiible with maybe 60% throttle and 6mm carb restrictor.... but why lose a second a lap over 15laps when you can pit which take an extra 7 seconds over 10 minutes.
BigBadJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
prospec comes with 1 peice engine mount, but doesnt have the removable top plate though. RVM makes a true 1 peice with the removable top plate for the mugen. prospec comes with rear aluminium hubs.

p.s i dont think xrays 1 peice engine mount is standard, its an optional part.

and no one use alumium arms for the front - those hop ups are usually restricted to MT's

they are refering to the novarossi 421b.... i highly doubt they can get over 12.5minute run time with it at normal race tune and throttle usage... possiible with maybe 60% throttle and 6mm carb restrictor.... but why lose a second a lap over 15laps when you can pit which take an extra 7 seconds over 10 minutes.

nah i mean the alloy braces that spread from the chassis up to the deck.

yeah i know the xray has the motor mounts as a option.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #19
Tech Adept

yes prospec have full alumium chacis braces - for less flex

standard has the ones with plastic ball ends - for more flex

which is better?? neither, just different tuning options
Old 07-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

I would stay with the Mugen or maybe the Xray. For engines you might look for the new 3 port Novarossi. It is fairly fast and quite a bit cheaper than the 421b.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

either Mugen or the Xray are both very capable 1/8 scale buggies. You have to ask yourself just how much you want to spend. I am not sure if it is available yet but Xray has added the XB8R to thier line which is 499.99. It is kinda like the ready to run version of thier top of the line XB8 which sells for 699.99. Also the Mugen MBX5 is available in 2 versions the MBX5 Prospec which is 699.99 or the MBX5 which I believe is around 500.00. All of these are very capable buggies with differences that the weekend joe racer isnt going to tell the difference. As far as engines go.....here again how much do you want to spend??? and dont forget about the tuned pipe??? how much do you want to spend and where do you need your power band at? I am running a Crono RS7 mated to an O.S. 2050 pipe, which this combo retails around 475.00. You can get an O.S. RG for 110.00 from tower. I have seen one of these with a Jammin' JP1 do very good, roughly a 200.00 combo. But If I were going to try to build a budget buggy I would probably go with the XB8R, Nova BS21-SB (219.00 5 port) with either a Jammin JP1 or even the JP2. top end or bottom end. just my .02 cents.
mmotox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mika
Hi ADZY...

Wow you managed to get 12.5 mins from your Rex 421B Turbo... Is it with the smalllest carb restrictor which i think is 6mm ?

I had the Nova 421B and have to agree this motor's power is fantastic... though not so great when my buggy topples upside down...

Thanks for sharing !

Yeah it was with the smallest carb restrictor, yeah it is the 6mm one, and i have never restricted the travel on my end point adjustment to achieve this time, i used 30% nitro, mielke short pipe and header set, and a lot of smooth driving, over here in australia a lot of people blip the throttle to get there car around the track which just throws there fuel economy out the window, or as soon as there car straightens up they just go straight to full throttle, if you just use only the amount of throttle you need to get the car out of the corner the fastest while having as little wheel spin as possible this is where the economy came into it for me, i know its hard when you have all of that power just itching to be used, but if you have good throttle control this fuel economy comes realitively easy.

Thanks,
Adam
ADZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #23
Tech Regular

I have a mayhem pro. It is great! i am running a picco omega motor.It is weird that you never see them in the nats -a main
brad shearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:54 AM   #24
Tech Elite

I'VE DECIDED! i am going to go with the GS storm CL-1 pro! can't wait! i have just seen pics and it is exactly what i wanted. pivot ball front end. light design and competitive with carbon bits. i can get it pritty cheap also cuz i work for the shop that distributes them in oz. GO GS!

what engines would you get out of these listed only?:

-any JP 21
-any os 21
-any collari 21?

i am leaning to a JP, what pipe do you think is good?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by better
The new GS storm CL-1 is coming out soon. The team drivers have used it the last three months, and did very well. They used some parts from the avenger and made new A arms that brings the car back to the old storm pro base platform. the avenger was a flop!!!!

(CL) Claude Lachat helped design this car. The car seems to have a similar design to the old storm pro, but its mostly new so parts will not interchange, but some parts will with the avenger.
so when do you think the CL1 will be out? i have read on the net about it and it seems to be out but haven't seen it in the shops yet?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
I'VE DECIDED! i am going to go with the GS storm CL-1 pro! can't wait! i have just seen pics and it is exactly what i wanted. pivot ball front end. light design and competitive with carbon bits. i can get it pritty cheap also cuz i work for the shop that distributes them in oz. GO GS!

what engines would you get out of these listed only?:

-any JP 21
-any os 21
-any collari 21?

i am leaning to a JP, what pipe do you think is good?
I beleive it is still in prototype form, they are racing it now but only to team drivers (i think)

If you want to go full GS, then get the JP Medial Pro M3k engine. GS distributes the M3k Engine

A good pipe is the Jammin JP2, works great with pretty much any engine and is indistructable (well almost)
Old 07-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
I beleive it is still in prototype form, they are racing it now but only to team drivers (i think)

If you want to go full GS, then get the JP Medial Pro M3k engine. GS distributes the M3k Engine

A good pipe is the Jammin JP2, works great with pretty much any engine and is indistructable (well almost)
yep seen those motors. i think the GS site says the CL-1 is ready for release...but you know how it is soemtimes with those "announcements" companies do
Old 07-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

If you go GS dont buy the old Storm Pro I used to have one. They handle reasonably well but are very fragile on the track. The Avenger in most of the reviews I've read been so so in the jumping and steering department. So if you go GS wait for the CL-1. The one thing about GS is their parts are very nice and they give you alot if you get the pro kit. If you want some more help these guys are the buggy authority.

http://www.twf8.ws/new/home.htm
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the xb8's are extremely nice.ive seen 3 run and they all were like rockets and glued to the track
associatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:15 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by associatedguy
the xb8's are extremely nice
but the price is extremely a pain.. so go for jammin x1cr, this is truely marvelous top level competition car but very cheap in price
arghh is offline   Reply With Quote