Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which aluminium alloy for 2WD Buggy >

Which aluminium alloy for 2WD Buggy

Which aluminium alloy for 2WD Buggy

Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

1.& 2.
Hmm, I think you got something wrong, I'm only making a mm-conversion for the B4.2, not a whole car. Only the developement of good composite plastic parts like a-arms would cost thousands of dollars. So buying all the mm-cars currently available is neither needed nor affordable for me.

3.& 4.
I think I will have to test a lot to get a good starting setup, chassis length, weight distribution and upper mounting positions of the rear shocks. Flex will not be tested much since I'm pretty limited by the design of the braces. The front end will ideally have very less flex, since that physically makes the most sense and I also liked less flex in my SC, when i tried it. It makes the car much more predictible.
@testing all the other cars: now that I think about it, testing them actually wouldn't make any sense at all since my car is so extremely different. I am always thinking out of the box, my car has much less weight transfer, completely different weight distribution, materials, flex and front suspension. But what bothers my all the time is, that the DEX210 has so much more steering and I don't know why.

5. There are only so many ways to make a mm-conversion for the B4.1 especially when using aluminium chassis. If centro thinks I copied their design of the turnbuckle-rear-brace, well then I don't give a f*ck.

6. Maybe i'll post some pictures later. A few of my parts from towerhobbies have arrived and I have to assemble them first.

I will most likely not sell the car commercially, it's only for me in the first place. Maybe i'll sell a few at my local track to get the money back that i spend for R&D, but to sell them I have to make them work first (and very cheap)

Maybe a thread for the development would be useful, not to show off, but to take advice from other members how I can make things better.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cody227 View Post
1.& 2.
Hmm, I think you got something wrong, I'm only making a mm-conversion for the B4.2, not a whole car. Only the developement of good composite plastic parts like a-arms would cost thousands of dollars. So buying all the mm-cars currently available is neither needed nor affordable for me.
No, I'm not saying to make your own car from scratch. You might learn something by measuring and examining what others are doing. Since you are doing a conversion, just buy a used Centro and X6 when they come up on the for sale forum.

3.& 4.
I think I will have to test a lot to get a good starting setup, chassis length, weight distribution and upper mounting positions of the rear shocks. Flex will not be tested much since I'm pretty limited by the design of the braces. The front end will ideally have very less flex, since that physically makes the most sense and I also liked less flex in my SC, when i tried it. It makes the car much more predictible.
Again, by examining what other's are doing, may speed up your rear suspension design.

@testing all the other cars: now that I think about it, testing them actually wouldn't make any sense at all since my car is so extremely different. I am always thinking out of the box, my car has much less weight transfer, completely different weight distribution, materials, flex and front suspension. But what bothers my all the time is, that the DEX210 has so much more steering and I don't know why.
True, but by testing and studying what others are doing, you can find ideas/designs that you like and incorporate them into your design.

5. There are only so many ways to make a mm-conversion for the B4.1 especially when using aluminium chassis. If centro thinks I copied their design of the turnbuckle-rear-brace, well then I don't give a f*ck.
If you think I implied you're copying them, then you're wrong. Tone back the attitude.

6. Maybe i'll post some pictures later. A few of my parts from towerhobbies have arrived and I have to assemble them first.
Post or don't post. Up to you.

Maybe a thread for the development would be useful, not to show off, but to take advice from other members how I can make things better.
Go for it. Be ready for constructive criticism.

TBH, I was trying to give you some generic advice. You seem to be a long way off, and I was trying to point you in a direction that might help. That said, I will offer no further advice if you're not willing to be open to it.

Good luck,

Jiu Ha

Ninja edit:

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I don't see what the issue with this layout is. It looks fine to me. I personally see no reason whatsoever to criticize it. You don't need to buy or even drive every other MM car out there to understand what they drive like. They are all pretty similar when tuned well. I'm on my 3rd.
You don't seem to know much do you? I sincerely doubt you know how to engineer for manufacturing. You don't think it's necessary to drive the other cars to see what the differences are? Really? You seem very narrow-minded. Not much of a "big picture" kind of guy.

Last edited by JiuHaWong; 12-21-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

I am always open to new ideas, it's just that I don't have the money to buy all the cars just to measure them. I am even using a donated C4.1 body atm xD
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cody, I suggest 7075-T0 2.5mm thick, that should allow your bends to be made without any issues. However, 6061 or 7075 if you buy it in T0 condition or anneal it yourself will both require to be heat treated back to T6 condition or they will bend during use.

Keep at it, and good luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't see what the issue with this layout is. It looks fine to me. I personally see no reason whatsoever to criticize it. You don't need to buy or even drive every other MM car out there to understand what they drive like. They are all pretty similar when tuned well. I'm on my 3rd.