R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to KevinO1211
Talking Nitro Reciever Help

Hi, just a general nitro question. I know that it generally isn't "recommended" to use rechargable AA batteries for the reciever, due to the fact that they lose voltage very quickly. I am just wondering if it would be fine as long as I just charged them up again after about every 2 runs on them. This isn't a problem because I don't do any official racing, just bashing, and I have about a gazillion rechargable AA batteries. Thanks! Oh, wait, one more question, how much money could I expect to spend adding a reverse to my cheapo truck?
KevinO1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd get an ofna failsafe for 26 bux. The rechargeabale aa batts should do you ok as long as you keep em charged. Just a 6 volt reciever pack will help your servos out and give you longer run time.

As for adding reverse what vehicle do you have? A tmaxx?
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Talking

It's a super cheap Acme(haha, even the name is cheap) Conquistador. And thanks for the help on the batteries, that's good to hear, I only need to use rechargables for a while until I get some money to buy a reciever pack and charger.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:38 AM   #4
Tech Addict

The problem with rechargeables is that nimh cells are 1.2 volts, alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts. Add that up and with nimh cells you only have 4.8 volts and with alkaline cells you have 6 volts. Most servos are designed to run on 6 volts, and regardless of this, ypur servos will have slower speeds at 4.8 volts than at 6 volts. You are also starting out at a lower voltage, so as you use them the voltagee will drop possibly to a point where the car stops responding before they are even really dead. And this is very bad because it results in "runaways." If you have a failsafe, it shouldnt be a problem except for the slower speeds. I think nicads have higher voltage than nimh, but Im pretty sure that its still not the same as alkalines. Ypu could make your own 6 volt reciever pack by soldering 5 nimh AA cells together, but that will probably put you at a weight disadvantage.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You won't be able to use a failsafe until you get a 6 volt rx pack. I fogot their cutoff voltage is near where an aa pack starts. GOod luck to ya.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Talking

Making my own pack with the 5 rechargables sounds like a good idea, I might try that, and the weight thing doesn't really matter that much, I just drive for fun. No racing, my truck isn't modified to a poin of being competitive and I'm not exactly up to par with other drivers.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Talking

I think I'll use a 4 AA holder and a 1 AA holder and then hook them up and wire them to the reciever. That way I can take them out and recharge them, but still have the full 6 volts.