Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New AeroModel Lipo line! >

New AeroModel Lipo line!

New AeroModel Lipo line!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default New AeroModel Lipo line!

FYI thread on a new product from a great, but lesser known company.
This year AeroModel Inc. based out of Tempe Az, started carrying their own line of Lipo's. They went through the process of getting ROAR approved, and now they can barely keep them on the shelves! I know small companies with outstanding products exist across the USA, but without word of mouth from actual racers, we may not know they exist. So here is some helpful info and personal experience with their product.

Here is some of the Competition Racing product line that applies to offroad.
(They also carry 1-cell)

The Competition Racing 4600mah 80c Shorty

Dimensions (L x W x H) : 96mm x 47mm x 25mm
Weight: 216 grams
Capacity: 4600
Cells: 2
Voltage: 7.4
Connector: 4mm Bullets
Continuous Discharge: 80C
Burst Discharge: 0
Continuous Current: 0
Max Current: 0.00
Max Charge: 5C (23A)

The Competition Racing 6000mah 80c saddle packs

Dimensions (L x W x H) : 67mm x 46mm x 25mm
Weight: 286 grams
Capacity: 6000
Continuous Discharge: 80C
Continuous Current: 0.00
Max Charge: 5C (30A)

The Competition Racing 7200mah 80c

Dimensions (L x W x H) :137mm x 47mm x 25mm
Weight: 329 grams
Capacity: 7200
Connector: 5mm Bullets
Continuous Discharge: 80
Burst Discharge: 160
Continuous Current: 576
Max Current: ILS 1152
Max Charge: 5C (36A)

And last is the Sport Car Racing Series 5000mah 20c

Dimensions (L x W x H) : 137mm x 47mm x 23mm
Weight: 260 grams
Capacity: 5000
Continuous Discharge: 20C
Continuous Current: 0.00
Max Charge: 3C (15A)

Okay now that you are familiar with the product line, I will tell you my personal experience with these lipo's.
I will start with the 4600 80c shorty. I bought one of these from the very first batch AeroModel received. The majority of the time I run stock buggy and we all know its a huge advantage having a great lipo with zero fade. First thing I noticed was its weight. It weighed the EXACT same as the 3800mah I had been using. So it was like a free 800mah with no weight gain. The specs on the AeroModel site say 216grams, but my scale said 207. Anyway, I had been using a 65c shorty prior to the AeroModel, and I doubted I would feel the punch difference. But I definately did. I normally buy a new pack every 2 months. Stock racing in Az is ultra competitive and fresh equipment is mandatory to keep up. Just to paint a picture for you, we have stock buggy F-mains regularly on club nights. Half of the Cactus Classic stock buggy Amain drivers are always present. However, the additional 15c was very noticable! But the main highlight that I (and many others) noticed, was zero fade throughout a 10 minute main! It was unbelievable! I run a Durango Dex210 and its fairly heavy compaired to others. I had never found a lipo that didn't show some signs of fade through those 10 minutes. I have a ton of cycles on my shorties and they still feel excellent! Within a few months, everyone who I consider very fast and commited, is now running the AeroModel shorty. People have said, "it feels like cheating" to "it feels like I'm running timing". I know that may sound funny, but I'm a racer, and I am being candid with my experience. I think we will see those drivers also comment on their experience as well.

The second lipo I can comment on is the 7200mah 80c. I occasionally run Pro4, and making an 8-10 main can be a little tricky if the track is dusty and wheelspin is draining my lipo. I picked up the lipo and it came with one set of 5mm bullets for the esc leads, and also came with a charging lead with 5mm bullets. Very high quality here also, solid bullets not caged. Apparantly the reason for the 5mm bullets is because lipo technology has crept up and began exceeding the capability of 4mm bullets. Something we may see standard in the future it sounds like. I have had nothing but good cycles out of this big lipo. Others who had issues with other brands puffing, have switched to the AeroModel.

Some other info
I am NOT recommending or Endorsing this behavior but....
I race with a friend who has an ICharger. And he discharges at 20 amps then immediatly goes into a 40 amp fast charge, which has its advantages and disadvantages. (lowers internal resistance) None the less, he has had zero puffing or failures. His lipo's are holding up perfect and I know many others are also using this regimen. Its a testament to the outstanding quality of the cells.

Any questions, info, or experiences you have, feel free to post.
You can also visit the AeroModel website for more info.
https://www.aero-model.com/

Last edited by nismomike; 10-17-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well said Mike!

On a side note, if you are experiencing any problems with the Aero-Model batteries, the customer service is second to none. Great people and great products based out of Arizona.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The Pricing is not bad either. Kinda in the middle.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was just told they are getting in more mid next week. Anyone local can also find them at Hobby Action in Tempe.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
The Pricing is not bad either. Kinda in the middle.
I guess it's not bad but pretty high to me!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Its cheaper than maxamps at least, those are some pricey lipos.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The price is fair for the quality of the product. Can you find better sure are there worse sure, but for me I feel it's priced right and my lipos don't fade towards the end of my run. These run strong until cutoff I feel! The worse feeling for me is running down someone and having your lipo start to fade.....
Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I run the 80c packs for touring car and they run great. Lot's of power through the whole 6 minutes. The other nice part is whats included in the box. You get bullets and you also get a bullet to deans adapter.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Look pretty good, may try a shorty for stock buggy
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Honestly, these are very fairly priced. You get what you pay for and these are no exception, except you get more than you paid for
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

great lipo's and gets the job done. haven't had any issues with them or puffing which in most cases most lipo's do when charged at a higher rates. performance is similar to my fantom 100c shorty and my revtech 100c shorty except half the price lol
Old 10-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Tomorrow I will get some pictures to post here showing the internal resistance numbers and comparisons.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Adept

I have been running these batteries since they came out. They are by far the best battery for the price and they are working on a new shorty that will be even better. I was checking the IR of shorty packs this weekend at the track. I had just about every major battery company to compare thanks to the racers wanting me to see how there battery stacked up. These batteries are in a whole other ballpark. The IR was a lot lower than anyother battery I tested but each cell was matched almost perfectly. Im not going to call out companies but one battery had a IR of 5.6moh on cell 1 and 7.9moh on cell 2. Those are average numbers for most packs I tested on my iCharger. My AeroModel packs run around 1.7 to 2.0 each cell. Im not a electronics wiz but I know the lower IR and better matched cells make for more punch and less fade on the track when running stock class. Im sure you can find batteries with better numbers but cost more. I know that every AeroModel battery I have ever got has ran just as well as the last one.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

New batch just arrived today! Interested in what other people think as well!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Honest question. What makes these better than smc? Not trying to start a bunch of stuff. I just can't see any more value in these batteries. I'm currently looking for 2s shorty packs and I don't see how aero packs at 80 dollars are a better deal than smc shorties at 50 dollars, both have similar c rating and mah ratings.

Do the aeros comes with a no questions asked warranty?
Does aero have a entry level lipo I can get for cheap to try?
Im honestly curious about the punch, I know my smcs have the same punch you start with until cutoff. The biggest draw for the smc's for me was the cheap entry price, much like I would never try maxamps because no battery is worth that.

Any kind of honest information would be appreciated. My plan for the shorty pacs is to mod my rc8be to take two 2s shorty packs laid down like the dex408, so I need some packs that are good. I'm just trying to do this cheaply since its an experiment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.