Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Rustler vxl or Savage XS????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Rustler vxl or Savage XS????

Hey guys im trying to get some information for a friend. I am looking for a good all around car to do bash around with mainly in a yard dirt or on the road. im trying to get people opinions to see what one is better. I have read up about them and know what their capable of just trying to get peoples opinions.not looking to beat the living hell out of it. REMEMBER. this is mainly a basher and a FIRST rc car. I think with a good set of tires the rustler is a good all around. I think the ex is a bit too small making the 4wd sensless for obsticals. also traxxas has better parts support and hobby shops carry more of their parts. I also was looking at the axial exo terra but hevent heard much about t
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

anyone
Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would take the savage xs any day over the rustler.... the rustler will break... a lot.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The xs ss kit looks nice. As far as the exo... a lot of people have them, they seem to be fairly durable, but getting the roll cage on and off seems to be the number one complaint.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

AGREED I saw the review lol. the xs just seems small defeating the purpose of the 4wd lol aside from faster launch but the rustler with a god set of tires and some upgrades like caster blocks and a arms I think it would be good as well being capable of on and offreoad
Originally Posted by ThePanda
The xs ss kit looks nice. As far as the exo... a lot of people have them, they seem to be fairly durable, but getting the roll cage on and off seems to be the number one complaint.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thake618
Hey guys im trying to get some information for a friend. I am looking for a good all around car to do bash around with mainly in a yard dirt or on the road. im trying to get people opinions to see what one is better. I have read up about them and know what their capable of just trying to get peoples opinions.not looking to beat the living hell out of it. REMEMBER. this is mainly a basher and a FIRST rc car. I think with a good set of tires the rustler is a good all around. I think the ex is a bit too small making the 4wd sensless for obsticals. also traxxas has better parts support and hobby shops carry more of their parts. I also was looking at the axial exo terra but hevent heard much about t
Hang on.... a FIRST rc car? the savage xs is cool and all, but it's so powerful it does standing backflips. If the rustler is anywhere near that powerful, you're looking at pretty insane first choices!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The rustler will break a lot if your really bashing, the savage xs is solid and can take almost anything. But if you can fork over the dough I'd get a savage flux hp, way powerful but it is a beast. I've had mine over 50ft in the air and landed on jagged broken up cement in construction sites.

I'd stay away from traxxas as a basher at all costs. That was my first and I regret the decision very much!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Savage is definitely better overall but as a first car the Rustler is hard to beat. Tons of parts and online support plus just a simple chassis and layout makes it an easy choice.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChickenRC
Hang on.... a FIRST rc car? the savage xs is cool and all, but it's so powerful it does standing backflips. If the rustler is anywhere near that powerful, you're looking at pretty insane first choices!
you can turn down punch control on the Esc if you want a more mild driving experience. Since its a rebadged castle product you can use castle link.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

I've owned both. A few actually. Honestly totally different cars but I can tell you that a Rustler is not a basher. At least not what I consider bashing. The XS is super tough and will impress you, it's larger than you think, more 1/10 scale-ish. I will be honest though, if you get one I would limit it to 2S, it's still plenty of fun. 3S is a lot if fun but EVERYTHING starts to break. Outdrives, axles, diffs, and on and on. The thing is such a PITA to work on that you'll get discouraged. Get the XS, keep it on 2S and you'll love it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThePanda
you can turn down punch control on the Esc if you want a more mild driving experience. Since its a rebadged castle product you can use castle link.
oh right...
my esc's punch control doesn't work properly, so i forgot all about that.
yeah anyway if it was mt choice i'd chooses the savage xs just because of the backflips. besides, a smaller rc doesn't mean less fun, especially one like that. I think for the savage xs, it means more fun. :-)
Old 10-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

thanks I think hes leaning toward the slash lol