Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effects of anti-squat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Effects of anti-squat?

I would like to know the effects of more or less anti squat on an 1/8th scale buggy.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

keep in mind, this is what I felt in my opinion, some peoples opinions will change, so keep that in mind.
Less Anti-squat (less washers on front of pivot)/More Pro-squat (more washers on rear of pivot)-More forward bite, less side bite, a small amount of traction loss turn-in/middle of corner.

More Anti-squat (more washers on front of pivot)-more side bite, slight traction increase on-power, a bit less forward bite. Too much Anti will make the rear very loose and figity.

Anti/Pro squat only affects when accelarating or braking, not while "coasting" so don't expect it to give more steering or traction if you are just coasting through a turn. Once again, this is my opinion, not necessarily right, but what I felt.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

What I got from someone to help clear up a problem:

Less anti squat will in the whoops make the car nose up more.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Most 1/8 run best with 2 degrees of anti-squat. Generally the rougher the track the less anti-squat you run.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

More More anti-squat generally makes the rear of the car more sensitive to throttle input.
The car has more steering while braking, and also a little more powering out of corners.
On high-traction tracks, it may feel as if the car momentarily has more rear traction accellerating out of corners.
A car with more anti-squat can also jump a little higher and further, and it will soak up bumps a little better, off-power.
A lot of anti-squat (4° or more) can make the car spin out in turns, and make the rear end break loose when accellerating.
Less Less anti-squat gives more rear traction while accellerating on a slippery or dusty track.
It also gives more side-bite.
Less anti-squat will make the car accellerate better and faster through bumpy sections.
Very little anti-squat (0° or 1°) makes the rear end feel very stable. It also makes power sliding a lot easier.
Note that anti-squat only works when you're accellerating or braking, it does absolutely nothing when you're coasting through turns.
The harder you brake or accellerate, the bigger the effect of anti-squat is.
(copy and pasted, i'd like to be this good,but....naaa. i just read the web!)
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input. this should help me get my mayhem pro a little more dialed.