Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed? >

Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed?

Evolution of RC car design. Where is it headed?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hiu80HDybk
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcjjpNRygZI
Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Various systems have been tried over the years, active toe being relatively common at one point. Yet every manufacturer has gone back to the common double wishbone design.

There's also the low unsprung weight with a wishbone, and simple pivot pins to reduce play for better geometry precision. Now think how precise a multi link system would have with multiple ball joints in there and you've got a lot more maintenance in there when they wear.

Although the HB D113 wishbones with their fibreglass or carbon plates lok interesting, and there are the sheet carbon fibre wishbones with ball joint pivots on the Schumacher Mi5.
Yes, as I mentioned in a later post there are some issues involved, low friction combined with precision is a challenge in small scale no doubt. As the design challenge is considerable, many of the efforts in full scale years ago also fell short, but they keep getting better, and applied to a wider variety of models. Just a thought from the day gig.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
Batteries, motors, and ESC's have advanced much quicker than chassis tech. Even tires have advanced more than chassis tech (more compounds, patterns, closed cell foams, etc)
Actually, tires are probably the part of the package that has advanced the least. Losi Pink and ProLine M3 are still the rubber of choice at many tracks and the BK bar tire that has been so heavily copied (and is still current) is nearly 20 years old now. Closed cell foam lasts longer but we've been using very firm open cell foam for years too. Sure there's lots of choices but the reality is that performance hasn't changed much.

Originally Posted by OG199 View Post
what the losi engineers and team drivers found way back when was, while brilliant in concept that the link system was only of advantage on rougher tracks. the smoother the track, it was almost counter productive. it resulted in them adopting the same H-arm system that had been used by others in the past and now into the future, and that's not even accounting for the even smoother tracks we're all typically running today.
I raced a 5-link for several years and it worked great. It was awesome for bumpy tracks and lower traction conditions, especially when we were running tires of a firm enough compound that gluing them was optional. More modern super soft rubbers (M2 and softer) did away with the need for it. It would be a neat concept to revisit, especially if I could figure out how to get steering out of it with modern tires, maybe mid-motor?. I think I left mine in a box in an attic when I moved out of a bachelor pad years ago.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
A motor can't cool down when it's running nonstop all day.
I was reading about the Horizon Fuel Cell hydrogen powered electric r/c car the other day. it did a 24 hour race last year, the things that failed were wheels and chassis components (from weight). But no mention of the endurance destroying the motor.

media.wix.com/ugd//047f54_ae0754dc54316c466ea3c82ee3589df5.pdf
(funny read if your a native english speaker, i think it was automatically translated from french)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Firstly you aren't going to get a transponder built in, unless you want to pay out an extra $80-90 when you buy a replacement ESC.

Electronics didn't used to be so modular, each radio manufacturer used their own plug so unless you bought everything from the same company you ended up swapping servo leads and plugs. Both Futaba and Tamiya have made all in one receivers and ESCs in the past, unfortunately they have only had success in small scale cars. In 1/10th I think we are glad everything is now compatible with each other, otherwise if you had a Futaba all-in-one and you wanted to change to an Airtronics ESC you would have to buy a new transmitter to go with it.

As for real time telemetry, there was the Nomadio Sensor radio that came out when 2.4Ghz radios appeared 6-7 years ago. Unfortunately everyone went and bought Spektrum radios instead so it disappeared. It vibrated to let you know of any problems, so you didn't have to look at the screen.

You want real time telemetry, with data logging so you can download it to a laptop to analyse it after wards? Then there's the Eagle Tree data recorder and dashboard.

Adding all this into a single lump of plastic in your car might seem a good idea, but the problem is if you don't want every component from the same manufacturer. How many of us the using the servo, receiver and ESC from the same manufacturer?
Nomadio did R/C stuff as a side gig. Government defense contracts were their number one deal. As those contracts began to come in they dumped the R/C stuff so they could focus on the the government contracts..IIRC and so I've heard.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

soon to be the latest fad class for r/c

R/C Nitro robot horse racing!! You are welcome! lol
http://youtu.be/wE3fmFTtP9g

The gas motor is spinning a generator to power the electrics and hydraulics of the beast!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
Pop out wings that deploy when suspension unloads off a jump?
That gives me fod for thought, (semi)active aerodynamic components and some moving ballast might be worth a try.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beau S View Post

The gas motor is spinning a generator to power the electrics and hydraulics of the beast!

DARPA
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Front brake for 2wd cars? Even go karts nowadays have front brakes available.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu View Post
Front brake for 2wd cars?
sure!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beau S View Post

very cool from an engineering stand point but MY GOD! that motor would drive me nuts! Put a decent muffler on that SOB!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr View Post
seen that awesome stuff,
curious how hard it would be to half the size of those 1/5 hydraulic brake system available for 2wd cars like baja. that will save a servo, and more importantly, much less work on configuration.
still, I'm wondering if the simplest way is actually just use the 4wd buggy front and put a 1/8 like brake system in the front gearbox?