Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

There are a couple things I am disappointed about on the 22-4 why not aluminum hexes like my 22 2.0 and better diff nuts. Just my opinion. I have yet to run mine so I am hoping I don't have the diff issues others have had.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Not to far off topic but does anyone know where I can find some information on springs. I have a 22b and 22t a 22sct and a 22-4. I have a ton of springs but My spring container get rolled over and springs went everywhere. Now I need to resort them and find out what they go to
Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by fredmotokx
Some one can confirm if the diff nut is made of metal or plastic?
It is plastic but it has a metal insert molded into the plastic. The diff screw starts into the metal insert and then locks into the plastic portion of the insert similar to the nylon in a lock nut.

Originally Posted by V Needs Speed
Hello all,

I've had my 22-4 for just a couple race days now and I love it! I do have a question that I haven't really been able to find an answer to on the thread. It may have been answered and I maybe didn't search deep enough, but any 22 2.0 front spring will work with 22-4 front shocks, and vice versa with rear? It just seems that the 22-4 springs are a bit longer. Could that be an illusion because the shock bodies are a little longer? I'm asking cause I want to buy the LF spring kits and all the standard springs so I have them just in case.

Thanks!
Vince
The springs that come with the 22-4 are the standard 22 springs. All 22 springs will work on the 22-4.

Originally Posted by rc-racer75
There are a couple things I am disappointed about on the 22-4 why not aluminum hexes like my 22 2.0 and better diff nuts. Just my opinion. I have yet to run mine so I am hoping I don't have the diff issues others have had.
The diff nuts that are included are very good. See my above post.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by stunter38
Not to far off topic but does anyone know where I can find some information on springs. I have a 22b and 22t a 22sct and a 22-4. I have a ton of springs but My spring container get rolled over and springs went everywhere. Now I need to resort them and find out what they go to
I posted this from my phone. I hope it works, if not I will repost tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails TLR 22-4 THREAD-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vito
putting in 8.5 tekin rs pro esc and iam done
When we gonna see this car at CGRC
Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The diff nuts at first glance appear to be all plastic because the metal insert is also black. You can tell its metal then plastic by how it threads freely at first and then gets tight as the screw reaches the plastic.

Is there perhaps an incorrect side of the pulley for the diff balls and that is why one person was hitting the nubs with the diff race causing it to melt under use?

Last edited by AlderBoy; 02-03-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Todd Hodge
It is plastic but it has a metal insert molded into the plastic. The diff screw starts into the metal insert and then locks into the plastic portion of the insert similar to the nylon in a lock nut.

The springs that come with the 22-4 are the standard 22 springs. All 22 springs will work on the 22-4.

The diff nuts that are included are very good. See my above post.
Thanks Todd for clarifying the diff nut. Mine looked like plastic because they were all black. Feel much better about my diffs. Big Thanks to you TLR guys for giving us info.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
This has nothing to do with the diff nut. Your rings are still breaking in, the grooves in them have to form fully and then it will no longer need tightening.
Is there any break in process w these diffs like there is we the 22? I spend 30 minutes or so breaking in a fresh 22 diff. Should I just tighten these to what you recommended in an earlier post (full revolution on front and 1/2 rev on rear) and start driving?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

A ball diff is a ball diff in that respect. They all need break in to fully seat and "get in the groove"
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Going through the build, fit and finish is nicely done. My question is did anyone find the belt system kind of tight? Is this normal and will "break itself in" or am I missing something? If I grab the rear out drives and spin, it is kind of tough.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1
A ball diff is a ball diff in that respect. They all need break in to fully seat and "get in the groove"
I assumed the same, but haven't heard of anyone talking about breaking them in before running. Starting loose, holding one wheel, switch wheels, tighten a little, repeat, etc. Has anyone done this with the wheeler? I assume it might fix some of the problems people have been having with diff's loosening.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by darkstar1974
I assumed the same, but haven't heard of anyone talking about breaking them in before running. Starting loose, holding one wheel, switch wheels, tighten a little, repeat, etc. Has anyone done this with the wheeler? I assume it might fix some of the problems people have been having with diff's loosening.
I use a drill with an old dogbone that I cut in half to break a diff in before I install it. That way if there is a problem I don't have to tear the tranny down.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stunter38
Lol I've been there! Here's a little tip that will help you quickly sort them all.

Original "high frequency" buggy springs have the coloured marking on the very end of the coils on ONE end only.

Low frequency springs have the markings 3-4 coils down from the end on ONE end only.

Sct (and I believe truck) springs have the markings on BOTH ends of the spring on the first/last coils.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just made my first lap around the living room. Appears to have a slight ticking sound in a full lock turn. I used the silver clicker spring. Are the diffs to tight or does the clicker make noise?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iphatbob
McDuffie, Blackwell and even myself (not a TLR driver) are always around to answer any questions you may have at IERC. Just stop by and say hi.
Appriciate it.

Originally Posted by mxwrench
Carranza, I was there Saturday as well, ended up 5th in the 4wd buggy class after being collected in that giant pileup in front of the drivers stand on the 1st lap! Overall my 22-4 was working excellent, but can always use some fine tuning. I haven't began playing with shock oils yet, still using kit settings.

Anyway, please feel free to approach me any time and I will be happy to explain any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

BK
I saw the pile up it was brutal. I will be racing mine next week for sure.

Just to clarify, I have the over all understanding of the car just want to know what some things do if and when I try them. Reading it is different then having someone explain it.

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
Just made my first lap around the living room. Appears to have a slight ticking sound in a full lock turn. I used the silver clicker spring. Are the diffs to tight or does the clicker make noise?
Clicker makes a clicking sound when active.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.