Like Tree25Likes

TLR 22-4 THREAD

Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Tech Champion

Don't worry guys. I'm sure the 2.0 will be out for next December.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

NICE! I wonder if they'll release them before this Jan 2014 date. Pretty sure they bumped up the 22 2.0's by a month or two.

Either way, i'll be on the phone w my LHS when they open.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BOOM Goes the dynamite! WOW, the 22-4 looks awesome! Superior work TLR.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can damn sure bet your ass that I'm subscribing to this thread!! Haha

Looks stellar! Cannot wait to get my hands on mine!

The suspension components, towers, bulkheads, etc. all looks super tough!!! Like very well designed and built.. It'll definitely be a strong contender. And from the looks of it all, it should hold up really well on 1/8 tracks, too!

This could be huge for the 4wd buggy class!

Can't friggin' wait. I'll be pre-ordering mine today!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Finally, I have been trolling the rumor thread since July. Having owned a XX-4 many years ago I am very happy to finally see the 22-4 follow the innovative design of the original. With the durability of the 22 series this thing will be a huge boost to the class. In the 4wd mod class durability is one of the biggest problems I see, front arms breaking off, shocks and towers gone and camber blocks broken. I have been thinking since July if they could combine the XX-4 layout with the durability of the 22, the car would be fricken amazing.

As far as the belt drivetrain goes, with modern materials and composites I bet this system will hold up. In my club races there is a guy running a XX-4 with a 7.5 and it kicks a$$ I have not seen it break, then again the guy driving it is very skilled. Having run belt drive touring cars with 4 & 5 turn motors on high traction surfaces I am pretty sure the newer belt materials will go a long way.

Just wish January would come sooner
Old 09-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

I owned and raced the original xx4. Car was ahead of its time and. I loved it. Maintance was alil hard till they released the new drive gear cover and all. Car was fast and dialed. Does anyone remember the upgrade delrin white bulk head. Looking forword to this car, looks like everything that was a problem back then has been fixed and then some. Want mine now! ONCE AGAIN GREAT JOB TLR!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Looks fantastic. Not sure what the whine is about ball diffs I love them. Set and forget for me. And they've always performed better than any gear diff I've tried in 1/10 scale. Looking forward to this class being reignited in the states!!! Nice job TLR!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 345 (100%+)

Nice addition to the 22 lineup! Im not into 4wd 1/10th buggy, but the car looks solid none the less! Well done.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Don't worry guys. I'm sure the 2.0 will be out for next December.
That makes no sense, since the original 22 was out for 2.5 years before it just got it's first update into a 2.0

I was waiting to order my XB4 until this announcement, and it looks like I will go ahead and order the XB4. Not because I don't think this will be a great wheeler, but because I want a wheeler now, and don't feel like waiting. I personally am a fan of belt drive coming from touring car, and love the design of the buggy.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good things come to those who wait young grasshopper!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Maybe they will re-release the street weapon. I was hoping to see something with a shaft, but its nice to see more people will getting into 4x4 soon.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't wait to get mine and retire my xxx4.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Losi hasn't made a new 4wd in what seems like forever... then when they do, its just a hopped up version of a car they had 12 years ago. I understand that the XX-4 may have been a good car but why rework something that's already existed? Like its time for AE to redesign their B4 and B44 platforms... they've been around forever. TLR states '2 1/2 years of testing' really? The car was first release in 1997.. so that's 16 years testing... they need to buy new calculators. Sorry if I seem to be bashing on the car but I cant see what all the hype is for. It looks like a great updated car but at the end of the day, its still a 16 year old design.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I was gonna post this in the rumor thread but it's now closed so here it goes. A few months ago they opened up a offroad track about half an hour from my house after the first time out there I ordered a 22, a week later it was a 22 2.0 my first new buggies since the XX Kinwald Ed. and have been wanting to run 4wd so I went to ebay and got a XXX4 and have been looking for and finally found a XX4 because it was my first choice after driving a friends years ago, well now it's official the 22-4 is here to add to my list offroad has really re-kindled my passion for RC cars as of now most of my carpet oval stuff is still put up and I've been focused on dirt.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by serpentracer1 View Post
I owned and raced the original xx4. Car was ahead of its time and. I loved it. Maintance was alil hard till they released the new drive gear cover and all. Car was fast and dialed. Does anyone remember the upgrade delrin white bulk head. Looking forword to this car, looks like everything that was a problem back then has been fixed and then some. Want mine now! ONCE AGAIN GREAT JOB TLR!

Didn't you have problems with front/mid belt? those are still the same.
And speeking about materials , comparing to what i had for xx4 that was MADE IN USA and what was MADE IN TAIWAN i woudl say they would as some say make a 2.0 version in about half year.

In 22 there was also an issue with materials quality, ex. schock shaft coating. In mine it was gone after two CARPET races.

In my USA made xx4 TiN coating lasted more that 2 years on dirt.

I also had same feeling with diff outdrives from old XX cr and those used in TLR 22. I do have steel XXcr dift in my XX4 that i do race all the time and they have about 0.5mm play on the dugbones. In TLR i had the same after 5 races. ( TLR 22 5 races- XXcr 70 races??? )

Todays materials should not be a bait that could persuade for buying ( all Tamiya drivers can confirm what happens with their "modern material")

I hope new mid/front belts are wider. If not there would be similar problem of skipping as it was in XX4 as long as the used tooth module is 2mm . Rear one is okay because its 3mm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service