Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Packing bearing with your own grease how to? >

Packing bearing with your own grease how to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing bearing with your own grease how to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Packing bearing with your own grease how to?

I was wondering if n e one on here packs the own bearings if so what grease have u guys tested?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you want to grease your bearings, this works awesome:http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html

That said, grease is great for longevity but not performance. Generally if you're trying to maximize performance you clean the grease out and use a light oil. There are many that will work, I use a product made by Royal Purple, but only cause it was given to me by a friend who works for them. Otherwise $25 for a small bottle of oil would have been ridiculous... lol
Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I keep spare bearings in a small tupperware submerged in MOBIL 1 0/30. When I clean the truck after a track day , I put the oiled bearings in the truck , and clean the old ones and drop them in the tupperware for next time.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

A local racer told me he cleans his bearings then soaks them in Marvel Mystery Oil, they are nice and smooth! I am gonna give it a try someday.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

just a reminder, thick grease keeps the dirt out, light oil will not, find your happy place
Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
I keep spare bearings in a small tupperware submerged in MOBIL 1 0/30. When I clean the truck after a track day , I put the oiled bearings in the truck , and clean the old ones and drop them in the tupperware for next time.
+1 but i dont use mobil 1. pick your favorite oil and do this and your bearings will probably outlast the "trend" of whatever class you are racing in.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
I do the same but use transmission fluid.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been cleaning and regreasing my bearings lately, but honestly I'm not overly convinced the effort and results are less than the cost of new bearings - unless you're using ceramic bearings.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been in this 20 years... Honestly for offroad, just take new bearings out of the package, slap em in the car with the grease that comes in em and let em ride! When you take your car apart for maintenance... Just wipe them down! Do not go immediately to spraying them out. I've found that just wiping them them off and putting back in the car is perfect. As soon as you spray out the grease... You've now commited yourself to constant cleaning/spraying/Re-oiling.

Ill only spray out a bearing if its feeling gritty. My kit bearings out of all my AE kits last me over a full season... Maybe 2-4 bad bearings between 4 cars in a whole year!!! Just wiping them off.

Now that we have an awesome company like avid that sells all those bearings for $1... $1!!! Just replace those bad boys and be done with it!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

For me the best way to deal with bearings is throw them in the trash and put brand new $1 Avid bearings in. $22 entire car is done, no wasted time and not much more expensive than buying the cleaner and oils.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

I like to clean my bearings after a race or practice. Other than it being therapeutic for me, my car rolls freely. I use an orange based cleaner that has actual citrus juice in it to condition the balls. Take the shields off. Let them soak in a container. Shake em up or get a vibrating tray to do it for you so you can release the dirt. Rinse them off in water. Dry them with a hair dryer. Then I use Tri-Flow lube. Pop the shields back on and your done.
To each his own!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

I have always cleaned and greased mine, but I like the ceramic bearings..and, I don't trust the grease that comes in bearings. I use a small sewing needle to get out the seals or shield keeper. I'll soak them in gasoline, because it will break up diff oil. Then I use a couple drops of dish soap and spin the bearings under fast running water to wash out grit, when they roll smooth again, I will pack them with lucas bearing grease spin them a couple times to distribute the grease, then I use a couple drops of royal purple synthetic in the spray can, spin it a couple times, the light oil will break loose the thick bearing grease off the bb's, and it will spin more freely, but the grease will stay in there. If the bearing gets hot the grease will melt and distribute its self. Instead of having just light oil that leaks out rather quickly. Works for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

are bearings in kit good or when building a new car should we just upgrade while building?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben1692
are bearings in kit good or when building a new car should we just upgrade while building?
Usually, the bearing that come in the kit are pretty good. Only down fall is that you dont get new shiny stuff put in right away
Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamOrangeRacer
I like to clean my bearings after a race or practice. Other than it being therapeutic for me, my car rolls freely.
Same here. I like to rebuild my car and relube my bearings after every race or practice. I use a very light oil, distributed using a fine needle dropper, and then spin the bearing.

If I had to use grease, I would just use less grease per bearing than packing a whole bunch in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.