Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Are 1/8 electric not reliable? >

Are 1/8 electric not reliable?

Are 1/8 electric not reliable?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
Most guys show up to Nats prepared. Esc's and batteries were the majority. And this does not count how many esc's Jeremy Potter from tekin replaced or repaired for free too.

who sells broke in nitro motors?
nobody?
that might have something to do with it.

and like somebody else said, electric 1/8 is all but in it's infancy.
give it 5 years (or less) they'll be just as run-all-day reliable as the 1/10ths are now.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoonigantoo View Post

nobody?
OS speed engines are not far from it.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

nobody?

and like somebody else said, electric 1/8 is all but in it's infancy.
give it 5 years (or less) they'll be just as run-all-day reliable as the 1/10ths are now.

Is that a Legit questions ?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
OS speed engines are not far from it.
that's one.

the point is that running nitro required you to have motors ready, motors you know will take a tune, motors you don't have to fight with to make them run.
electric, there's no break in period, there's no tuning. you snatch out one motor.and pop in another, back on the track in less than 2 minutes.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
It's weight. The electric cars are .4-.6 pounds heavier. They blow through their suspension travel and bottom harder.

Then all that shock gets sent into things. The only thing getting shocked an vibrated on a nitrobuggy is the servo. The Rx is in foam, and the battery doesn't care. Nitrobuggies just don't bottom as hard.

ESC's are still mostly fragile crap made by ignorant buffoons who can't race. But some are getting better slowly.

Truth is, my nitrobuggy (Xray Xb9, OS21xz) is more reliable than my ebuggy by a fairly huge margin. If you do the higher level of maintenance properly, at least.

I think the nitrobuggys weak spot is the cast pot metal crank cases. Crash upsidedown or case a jump hard with older chassis braces and the case cracks like an egg.

It's weird seeing a brick pack and a switch AND a Deans plug on Tebos car. I can't run any of that without DNFing.

Internal post batteries, bypassed switches, and no connectors FTW.
I am guessing that you come from a nitro background and don't really have a good understanding of electricity.

In terms of design complexity, the companies that design brushless ESC's have to do a ton more work than designing a simple engine. An engine is a simple and crude mechanical device that only works halfway good when aided by electronic devices. Brushless motors are very simple which leads to their high reliability, but controllers are far more complex. In terms of power density, brushless ESC's are pretty much state of the art. Industrial drives would be at least twice the size if not larger to handle the same amount of power. Most ESC problems stem from misuse and poor understanding of how they work. Most nitro folks know you shouldn't bold a servo or a receiver hard to the chassis yet they don't think it is a problem to do the same with an ESC. Why? Electronics are electronics. No piece of electronic gear liked to be smacked around.

If you can't make a Deans plug work, you have some serious issues. I have never had one fail in the 10+ years that I have been using them. This includes using them in boats where the current draw makes 1/8th buggy look weak.

If ESC designers are buffoons, nitro engine designers are just plain brain dead.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My experience with e-buggy..

I have got 2 nitro buggies and converted them with cheap arsed esc, motor and cheap 4S lipo

I am getting a lot more track time.. albeit i don't race, just run around a home track with bmx style jumps.. I have used about 50 charges through each car and not a single electrical issue.

My only problem has been destroying tyres and bent a shock shaft in the 18 months of playing.. as i said.. not racing tho
Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Most nitro folks know you shouldn't bold a servo or a receiver hard to the chassis yet they don't think it is a problem to do the same with an ESC.

Anyone told Losi?

I have no idea why they think it's a good idea to hardmount it to the chassis...
Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

From my experience, brushless motors last and last just like the Energizer bunny. I've never had to replace a brushless motor unless I just wanted a faster motor. Now esc's are a different story. However, when I really think about it, the good ones tend to last about as long as a decent nitro engine. The biggest difference is... keep your receipt for the esc, send it back, and most reputable manufacturers will replace it for FREE or for half the cost of a new one. Send back a nitro engine after you've seized it and see what comes back in the mail.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's very much region dependent on what classes are popular. Near me the dominating classes are 1/8 nitro buggy and nitro truggy, with EP cars slowly growing this year since I and a few others joined up.

My local track just recently ran the first historic EP class on a race day, though it was anything 1/8 and EP powered, so we had truggies and even a truck for a short time.

I switched to EC5 connectors and couldn't be happier after trying regular bullets and Deans plugs.

My cars have been very reliable as far as electronics go. I did recently damage the ribbon cable to my power switch so I need to re-think my cable runs, as it obviously got damaged over time with the landings and crashes.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Shoot man it would be cool to actually see a constant class of E-Truggy at club races but its been dead at the tracks ive been at for two years its not growing where i live at . Likely going to sell it and get a E-Buggy and join the popular class.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I am guessing that you come from a nitro background and don't really have a good understanding of electricity.

In terms of design complexity, the companies that design brushless ESC's have to do a ton more work than designing a simple engine. An engine is a simple and crude mechanical device that only works halfway good when aided by electronic devices. Brushless motors are very simple which leads to their high reliability, but controllers are far more complex. In terms of power density, brushless ESC's are pretty much state of the art. Industrial drives would be at least twice the size if not larger to handle the same amount of power. Most ESC problems stem from misuse and poor understanding of how they work. Most nitro folks know you shouldn't bold a servo or a receiver hard to the chassis yet they don't think it is a problem to do the same with an ESC. Why? Electronics are electronics. No piece of electronic gear liked to be smacked around.

If you can't make a Deans plug work, you have some serious issues. I have never had one fail in the 10+ years that I have been using them. This includes using them in boats where the current draw makes 1/8th buggy look weak.

If ESC designers are buffoons, nitro engine designers are just plain brain dead.
You guessed wrong. And your electric bias is obvious. Actually 45min ago I was holding 480vac in my hands so.... I keep the 2 megawatts worth of lights on at hospitals when the power is out so.....

No. Most of our ESC's are nowhere near state of the art. More like state of 10 years ago. And they're built extremely crappy. Poor insulation. Poor fans. Poor vibration resistance. Poor mounting methods. Poor impact protection.

I agree that ESC's are extremely complex and have their work cut out for them. but they're all doing excellent at the complex tasks, it's the simple tasks, noted above, that they completely fail at.

Viper seems to be the only one addressing any of this right now, and their 1st batch didn't work so well. Everyone else has their heads buried in the sand.

Is this your 1st year racing? Deans get weak and may lose contact in the middle of a race. Happens all the time. I change my 4x4's Deans every 4 months if a big race is coming up. Eveything else is hardwired or 4mm internal.

IMO, a servo has a tougher job than an ESC. And they're ain't an ESC on the market anywhere near a Hitec 79XX in reliability. That's all I'm asking for.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
You guessed wrong. And your electric bias is obvious. Actually 45min ago I was holding 480vac in my hands so.... I keep the 2 megawatts worth of lights on at hospitals when the power is out so.....

No. Most of our ESC's are nowhere near state of the art. More like state of 10 years ago. And they're built extremely crappy. Poor insulation. Poor fans. Poor vibration resistance. Poor mounting methods. Poor impact protection.

I agree that ESC's are extremely complex and have their work cut out for them. but they're all doing excellent at the complex tasks, it's the simple tasks, noted above, that they completely fail at.

Viper seems to be the only one addressing any of this right now, and their 1st batch didn't work so well. Everyone else has their heads buried in the sand.

Is this your 1st year racing? Deans get weak and may lose contact in the middle of a race. Happens all the time. I change my 4x4's Deans every 4 months if a big race is coming up. Eveything else is hardwired or 4mm internal.

IMO, a servo has a tougher job than an ESC. And they're ain't an ESC on the market anywhere near a Hitec 79XX in reliability. That's all I'm asking for.
Even though they take other esc brands and send them to china to copy?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

that's one.

the point is that running nitro required you to have motors ready, motors you know will take a tune, motors you don't have to fight with to make them run.
electric, there's no break in period, there's no tuning. you snatch out one motor.and pop in another, back on the track in less than 2 minutes.
Which brings up a good point.....

Nitro gets a bad rap from all the pathetic poor quality engines out there. Everyone and his grandma is making a nitro engine out there. And advice here makes it even worse.

Then you got bad fuel.
Then you got bad plugs.
Then you got bad clutch advice.

Etc. etc. A newb is almost completely screwed going towards nitro these days.

Plenty of good stuff out there. But we never recommend that someone starts with an easy to tune engine like a OS 21xz with a 2090 and a P3 plug on Byrons 30/10.

It's allways some engine flavor of the month thing that people get stuck with. And that has really lead to the downfall of nitro. You have to have the right stuff for it to be easy. But once you get it, nitro is cake. It's easier to dial my engine than it is my Rx8. But that's just me.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post
Even though they take other esc brands and send them to china to copy?
I'm cool w/that. Just get me something durable. Some of todays ESC's are a complete joke when you take them apart.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

omg. the 13th warrior. EPIC MOVIE. zero your my hero

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.