Are 1/8 electric not reliable?

Are 1/8 electric not reliable?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PFKAOG View Post

Most hacks dont realize they are hacks
Az
Well, considering most races we never make pyhsical contact with eachother, i'd say we're not hacks. Sounds like the 1/8 E guys at your track don't know how to drive. May i ask what classes you run that makes you superior to theses "hacks"?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Suspended

Most hacks dont realize they are hacks
Az
or don't think there's anything wrong with it
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That's what they say publicly as to what happen but in reality they probably shut off from the esc getting too hot
the switch on my SCT PRO gets turned off from when my sct rolls and hits hard
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

e-buggy is the fastest growing and largest class at my track. I have seen some brand new e-buggies this year, but none of the nitro buggies are new. All new cash is being spent on electric. The nitro buggies are asking if they can run with us, not the other way around.

Bypassing the ESC is one of the first things I was shown how to do by the experienced racers on week one. It was kind of like "replace the stock servo, buy the tire of your choice from this list, bypass this switch and your good to go, now the rest is up to you. Don't crash."

I am amazed at the amount of DNF's in pro races period, makes me feel less bad about my occasional DNF.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Switches getting knocked off is nothing new. The proper way to correct it is to mount it in a fashion where impacts wont' affect it. This can take some thought during the install but if that thought saves your race....it's time well spent.

Today's electronics have gotten better. This class is still an infant compared to it's nitro breathing brethren. Electric cars as you all saw with Lutz driving can hit jumps faster, harder and fly much further than their nitro counterparts. This leads to harsher impacts and at times, damage.

Nothing is bomb proof in this sport. I've seen servos blow their guts out, nitro engine cases get cracked, chassis braces snap and bend, you name it.

E buggy is growing world wide. For me it was the ability to run the class without a pit man. I like nitro and the "feel" it has with long mains and rewarding those that are consistently fast, not just sprint fast. The problem is that to do it well requires two people at all times. Electric 1/8 gives us the speed, size, and durability while being able to do it without a pit man.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Electric is definitely more reliable than nitro. The chassis are the same except with electric there are no starting issues, no flame outs, no idle issues, no runaways.

Just like a nitro car, if you run your setup too hard (elec- heat, nitro- lean) you will have problems. The loose nut behind the wheel is usually the source of reliability issues in this hobby.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The loose nut behind the wheel is usually the source of reliability issues in this hobby.
LOL!!

Well said!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Suspended

That's what they say publicly as to what happen but in reality they probably shut off from the esc getting too hot
so was that the first rc car race you've ever seen?
because cars have been switching off since the dawn on time (nitro and elect.), and if a motor overheated merely switching it off and on does nothing.

and comparatively, I don't think I've ever seen a nitro race that had fewer reliability issues (including flameouts) than an electric race.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Lightbulb Look well at the vid. and use ur Brain

Originally Posted by dwgcooks View Post
Yeah that track did look tough but I noticed a lot more failures with the electric cars more than the nitro cars as a whole. Maybe it is because the electrics are faster and the racers were going bigger. I know going big hurts sometimes.

I think Tebo should invest in what ever switch Lutz was using.
Its the On/Off or the stupid Deans... even some Pro still use outdated stuff. If you can cut off the on/off switch and solder the wires together, then do it!
Just like in Nitro the On/Off is a week link, eliminate it.
Also Deans come apart the New New is 5mm Bullets.Direct from the ESC. Try it!!

Last edited by XXXDad; 08-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dwgcooks View Post
I was watching the Neobuggy races on Youtube and noticed a lot of the 1/8 electric cars were stopping dead. These are the top guys at this race and it was a surprise to me to see so many failures.

Tebo was racing in one semi with around 10 drivers and had something go wrong with his car early in the race. The camera followed the car into the pits and his pit guy must have fixed it quickly. Battery change? who knows. It was only around 3 minutes into a 10 minute semi.

So Tebo "breaks" 3 minutes in and gets repaired for at least a minute and goes from dead last to finishing fifth in a 10 minute race. The reason he did so well was because a lot of the other cars were also having reliability issues.

One dead car was picked up by a crew member the side of the body pulled up and she reached in a did something, not sure what. Then she threw the car on the track and off it goes like nothing happened. What did she do in there to fix the car so quickly? Is there a reset button?
E-buggies are no different than any other car. Push them to the limit and they will break. You can't judge reliability on one race with pro drivers.

Depending on the electronics, battery and how well you take care of them, they can be very reliable. Trust me, if my 8th scale cars were not, I would have been done with this class years ago.

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
Its the On/Off or the stupid Deans... even some Pro still use outdated stuff. If you can cut off the on/off switch and solder the wires together, then do it!
Just like in Nitro the On/Off is a week link, eliminate it.
Also Deans come apart the New New is 5mm Bullets.Direct to the ESC. Try it!!
+1. I had problems with Deans as well. Switched to EC5 and problems gone forever.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Team Tekin

I've been running Deans in Ebuggies/Truggies since 2009, never had one fail. Sure, they get loose over time, but I just replace them. It's good to redo the wiring somewhat often anyways, it all gets stressed when racing and degrades. I also mount my switches ON forward and haven't had one turn off on me that I can remember. I've DNF'd races, but it's usually for pinions falling off (doh) battery dumping early (...yeah) blown servo, broken shock shaft, blown bearing...I think they are equally prone to failure.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Electric is definitely more reliable than nitro. The chassis are the same except with electric there are no starting issues, no flame outs, no idle issues, no runaways.

Just like a nitro car, if you run your setup too hard (elec- heat, nitro- lean) you will have problems. The loose nut behind the wheel is usually the source of reliability issues in this hobby.
I have information that can contradict this tied directly to hobby shop sales from two years of roar nationals being run back to back at the same facility. Fuels Nats last year and e-Nats this year. Almost 300 entries last year and 189 this year. Guess which year had higher sales? It was not last year.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
I have information that can contradict this tied directly to hobby shop sales from two years of roar nationals being run back to back at the same facility. Fuels Nats last year and e-Nats this year. Almost 300 entries last year and 189 this year. Guess which year had higher sales? It was not last year.
How do you know sales were driven by reliability issues?
If they were, how do you know that the Nitro guys didn't arrive with more extra equipment? (most nitro drivers I know carry multiple engines, I have not seen many electric drivers do this)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Lol whats the deal with some people with the Deans plug and Solid bullet connecters into the lipos. ive had 0 issues with ethier on my 4x4 SC and E-Truggy. Just stop pulling the Bullets out the lipos you shouldnt have a issue with them going bad or pulling out.

ESC switches the only one i had to cut off for sure was the Castle Mamba esc one . It depends on how good the switches are some are much better than others.

And no Knockoff Deans plugs lol they really gave me issues .
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How do you know sales were driven by reliability issues?
If they were, how do you know that the Nitro guys didn't arrive with more extra equipment? (most nitro drivers I know carry multiple engines, I have not seen many electric drivers do this)
Most guys show up to Nats prepared. Esc's and batteries were the majority. And this does not count how many esc's Jeremy Potter from tekin replaced or repaired for free too. Just putting things into perspective. I run nitro and both of my sons run 1/8th e-scale. I know from my wallet what cost more and I have my own belief which is more reliable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.