Wiki Posts
Search

Good starter for 14 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Good starter for 14 year old?

Greetings,

I can almost bet this topic is beat to death so here goes.

My son is turning 14 and has mentioned he wants an electric RC. Being he is 14 and changes his mind often I don't want to spent a ton of cash on a good starter car to see if he will continue to want to go forward with this hobby.

Any suggestions on what to get? We live near Cincinnati Ohio. Wanting to stay sub $150 if possible.

He likes the drift cars, but my concern is how well do they do on paved streets? What about rally cars, or. Buggies or truggies?

So sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

buy something you can get parts for easily, no better way to hate rc than breaking something and waiting a few days for parts.

Last edited by mjmurphy; 08-25-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I recommend a 1/10 scale 2wd electric buggy RTR from Losi or Associated.

Both of these cars are relatively competitive out of the box, and being established platforms, have tons of room to grow as he gets better.

I know that 1/8 E-buggy and 1/10 SCT 4wds are 'cooler' and faster, and maybe even tougher, but 1/10 buggy upkeep, repairs, and tuning is MUCH cheaper than those other types. I drive all 3 classes on a regular basis, and I've found that 2wd buggy is by FAR the most economical class.

As a side benefit, if your son learns to be smooth in 2wd buggy, he will be able to drive ANY class and be fast.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JK47
I recommend a 1/10 scale 2wd electric buggy RTR from Losi or Associated.

Both of these cars are relatively competitive out of the box, and being established platforms, have tons of room to grow as he gets better.

I know that 1/8 E-buggy and 1/10 SCT 4wds are 'cooler' and faster, and maybe even tougher, but 1/10 buggy upkeep, repairs, and tuning is MUCH cheaper than those other types. I drive all 3 classes on a regular basis, and I've found that 2wd buggy is by FAR the most economical class.

As a side benefit, if your son learns to be smooth in 2wd buggy, he will be able to drive ANY class and be fast.
Did you read his post? $150 budget.

Originally Posted by Tuned200
Greetings,

I can almost bet this topic is beat to death so here goes.

My son is turning 14 and has mentioned he wants an electric RC. Being he is 14 and changes his mind often I don't want to spent a ton of cash on a good starter car to see if he will continue to want to go forward with this hobby.

Any suggestions on what to get? We live near Cincinnati Ohio. Wanting to stay sub $150 if possible.

He likes the drift cars, but my concern is how well do they do on paved streets? What about rally cars, or. Buggies or truggies?

So sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks in advanced.
Sorry...$150 isn't going to get you much...even used.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

my standard reply to someone getting into RC is to get a Slash. Tough as nails, parts are readily available and you can race it in stock slash class, upgrade it if you want or bash the hell out it. Or all of the above. They will sell pretty easy too to friends or online if he decides hes not into RC or when he wants to move on. Its kind of a win-win buggy.You can them cheap used if you want or not too bad brand new. Everything you need to get going is in the box, although the charger sucks. go lipo when you want or brushless too. It will handle both.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can get a used Slash with everything for 150.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Stampede 4x4 is best value for the money but won't be 150

But it will go fast with 2s lipo and has a ton of hop up parts to make it anything you want, just check out project shapeshifter from ultimate RC on YouTube

Stampede is basically a slash only shorter and less raceable so also agree slash 4x4 is great starter
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

For 150 you aren't going to get anything that'll be good u less you find a used deal, I'd get him a offroad sct 2wd slash, parts everywhere and a perfect starter rc, will need upgrades but what doesn't, drifting is cool and fun but it'll get boring, offroad bashing never gets boring
Old 08-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This link has a few ideas to consider:
http://www.nitrorcx.com/rcbuggy1.html
Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Initiate

When I was 14 I bought my first RC car, the Tamiya Hornet. This car came as a kit and I enjoyed building it. I would suggest the kit route. It teaches the basics of how a car works and when it breaks he will know how to fix it. Parts are easy to get also.

The kits are still sold and around 120 bucks. With a cheap beginner radio and batteries and charger you will be close to your budget.

Since it sounds like he in not into off road, Tamiya has plenty of other kits to choose from.

I prefer the kit route but I didn't have much of a choice back in the day. There were no RTR's.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2wd traxxas slash or 2wd team associated sc10
Parts available everywhere and every track has a sct class.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Hpi blitz or traxxas slash!!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

My 7 year old bashes a lcg slash... started as a brushed rustler and eventually grew to a brushless 12.5t lcg slash
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I suggest before buying anything, to take him to ur local indoor track and see what catches his eye. If he decides he wants a buggy, then he can do his homework and figure out which buggy he wants, same for stadium truck or shortcourse. $150 isnt going to get hou much, so be prepared to work out a deal with him to do chores etc to boost the budget. Often the track will have some used stuff on consignment in the counter displays. If he decides he wants to be ome a racer, he's going to want a capable racer. If he doesnt care about raci and just wants something to run up and down the street (will get old fast and will either lose interest or want to make his way to a track) then like others have said, a Slash would be a good starting point but he will outgrow it's capabilities pretty quickly in stock form if he gets into racing.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by XRated SCT
For 150 you aren't going to get anything that'll be good u less you find a used deal, I'd get him a offroad sct [U]2wd slash,[/I] parts everywhere and a perfect starter rc, will need upgrades but what doesn't, drifting is cool and fun but it'll get boring, offroad bashing never gets boring

I agree, and just to get started you're going to need to think more in the 250-300 range.
stay away from the cheap knockoffs and clones (you can't get parts), and stay away from the race-based cars and trucks more common to this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.