Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
So I'm returning to racing but.... >

So I'm returning to racing but....

So I'm returning to racing but....

Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default So I'm returning to racing but....

Ok, so I want to get back into racing. I left about 5 or so years ago and now I'm looking at the state of the hobby now and I I don't know which way is up. It seems everything has changed since I left. As far as I can tell SC and 2 wheel drive buggy are the most popular. But it seems like there are a lot more players in the game now. Back then Associated and Losi were the only competitive electric cars around unless you raced 4wd buggy and then you would see a couple schumachers or Kyoshos. Now I'm seeing names like techno, Durango, and even traxxas for gods sake. What's the way to go nowadays? As far as I can tell associated/losi is still the way to go for 2wd buggy. But what about SC?
And on to electronics? Brushless and LiPos? My hot setup used to be a Novak GTX esc, 11 double trinity motor, and a 3300nmih battery. Now it seems I couldn't compete. I've been doing a little research. I keep hearing names like hobbywing, and castle creations. Oh yeah, and Tekin's back from the dead?? Can you put any motor with any esc? I keep seeing KV, and Amp ratings on motors/esc's. How do you gear these brushless motors? We used to use +7 as a starting point for mod motors (11 turn +7=18tooth pinion).

I'd imagine if I was drive one of today's cars, after a couple packs I would be able to keep up as far as skill goes. But what is a mid-high level racing setup in today's electric off-road racing? I've raced enough to know that smooth is fast. I don't want something so fast that its undriveable. Just something fast enough to to keep up with the A-main guys on the straightaways. I'm interested in 2wd buggy, and Sc truck as they are the most popular classes. ANY INFORMATION APPRECIATED!! Seems like i missed alot, and I'm thirsty for knowledge.
Thanks, Bob
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Here is my opinion. Before purchase, go to the track you will be racing at and see what parts are readily available and for what brands first. Most tracks keep good inventory of TLR(Losi) and AE. Both of their buggies and 2wd short course trucks are really good and Losi holds the edge for 4wd short course. As for electronics, I would steer clear of the lower level name brand stuff. I would recommend LRP,Orion, or the better of the best brands being Tekin. Tekin has upped their game and customer service in the latest years and are a really good product. Bear in mind, their is no one "best" product even though some will disagree. Get a descent radio like a Airtronics MT4(but upgrade the reciever for better latency later) and good mid lined and priced servo. Stay away from anything RTR since it is usually crappy for racing and you just end up upgrading anyway. As for batteries, that is a whole new envelope to tear into. I run 3 different brands and have found they perform a bit differently. You dont need a really expensive battery. A good mid lined and priced will do you just fine. I personally find for me, my $35 lipo's from Turnigy work as well as my $75 Trakpower batteries. Again, find out what your local guys run and have good luck with. Most the time when hunting online, you only find info on the bad of certain products instead of good and not all info online is reliable. Have fun! That is what this is all about.

BTW, a good tuned 17.5 buggy will be equivalent to what you ran years ago, and 17.5 is stock class these days.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You still can't go wrong with AE or Losi. That is why they are still around.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

My recommendation is if your local track has a stock SC class, go out and buy a 22 SCT RTC. This is a competitive truck that comes in RTR fashion with a 17.5. Then go out and buy an Eco power or onyx charger and a SMC lipo. With this setup you should be competitive pretty easily.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by novice racer View Post
My recommendation is if your local track has a stock SC class, go out and buy a 22 SCT RTC. This is a competitive truck that comes in RTR fashion with a 17.5. Then go out and buy an Eco power or onyx charger and a SMC lipo. With this setup you should be competitive pretty easily.
I'd still get the 22sct kit and pick my electronics over the rtr, build it from scratch with a setup that'll suit your local track
Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Suspended

as someone suggested, go visit your local track and check out the scene and what classes are the most popular. also, check out what kind of brands are being used by the racers. most of the questions and things you inquired about here is more track talk than forum talk.

otherwise, do more reading.
burying yourself in forums like this is going to give you more of the knowledge you seek than making vague inquiries here. Answering the things you've asked, and what you didn't, somebody could go on for at least a page or more. you're not a total newbie, but at the same time you need to spend your time getting yourself back up to speed.
every manufacturers has a website too, lots of good information can be gathered just by reading up.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

As recommended, I would also say to go to your local track and take a look at the popular classes. Then take a look at what parts support is for those classes. Then look into whatever platform you decide on.
SCT will be easier to refresh on your driving skills.
Buggy you will lear to drive smoother and cleaner as SCT tend to encourang "less than ideal" driving skills. Now brushless and lipos are incredible and have been gamechangers since you got out. NO MORE turning comms and exploding NiMH cells! Absolutely ZERO motor maintenence and VERY little battery maintenence!
I would recommend Tekin ESC's (but if funds are a lil tight brushless hobbies LT4's are great!), any good charger that can balance and has a lipo store function (to discharge them between races, never store lipos at full charge!), and an excellent bang for your buck lipos are the SMC packs! Pick a good radio and servo and your set!
As far as set-up and tires, talk with the fast guys and get some ideas for your track!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im in the same boat, getting back in after about 5 years. I had a Ofna Hyper TT that I bought a few years ago and didnt do anything with so I decided to get it running. Here is what I did....

Invested my money on a great battery charger and good batteries. I researched and got a iCharger 4010Duo. My kids seem to want to get into it too so I know I needed to be able to charge multiple batteries and I used to fly heli's too so I wanted a high amp charger in case I went that route again too.

I went with a cheap chinese with the radio only because my dad had a flysky GT3 and I was real impressed so I got the IT4. For what your getting, its a bargain. Doesnt feel as sturdy as my old Futaba and JR's but not bad. Recievers are dirt cheap too and it has telemetry.

Went with cheap hobbywing on the ESC and motor and Im real impressed with that too!

Now the truggy is durable which is good because Im rusty as heck at the track but Im facing a delima. Although these truggys were real popular when I got them, they died out and now getting parts is starting to become a pain. I need new tires but cant seem to get wheels that fit.

So now Im in the same boat as you, looking at buggies and SCT's. I think I ruled out SCT's, they just look so clumsy and its like constatn bumper cars. Thats almost appealing but I dont know. So Im thinking 4WD buggy but there are so many choices these days. I think I ruled out the AE though because it doesnt sound very durable and Losi doesnt have a 4WD buggy right now. Im leaning towards Xray or Schumacher with the Schumacher having the slight edge. My track doesnt stock parts for either though so that sucks.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Plus 1 for flysky radio, mostly the best bang for your buck! And i agree with the "check the local track" idea
Old 08-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Like has been said go to your local track and hobby shops and see what is supported. You dont have to go that route if you are okay keeping your own stock of spares and dont mind mail order. You also need to consider setup help if you feel you will need it.

If you plan on racing in any type of serious fashion I wouldn't waste your money on any RTR vehicles. Get the kit you want and the electronics that suite your needs. It's more money up front but less money in the long run.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lason View Post
Im in the same boat, getting back in after about 5 years. I had a Ofna Hyper TT that I bought a few years ago and didnt do anything with so I decided to get it running. Here is what I did....

Invested my money on a great battery charger and good batteries. I researched and got a iCharger 4010Duo. My kids seem to want to get into it too so I know I needed to be able to charge multiple batteries and I used to fly heli's too so I wanted a high amp charger in case I went that route again too.

I went with a cheap chinese with the radio only because my dad had a flysky GT3 and I was real impressed so I got the IT4. For what your getting, its a bargain. Doesnt feel as sturdy as my old Futaba and JR's but not bad. Recievers are dirt cheap too and it has telemetry.

Went with cheap hobbywing on the ESC and motor and Im real impressed with that too!

Now the truggy is durable which is good because Im rusty as heck at the track but Im facing a delima. Although these truggys were real popular when I got them, they died out and now getting parts is starting to become a pain. I need new tires but cant seem to get wheels that fit.

So now Im in the same boat as you, looking at buggies and SCT's. I think I ruled out SCT's, they just look so clumsy and its like constatn bumper cars. Thats almost appealing but I dont know. So Im thinking 4WD buggy but there are so many choices these days. I think I ruled out the AE though because it doesnt sound very durable and Losi doesnt have a 4WD buggy right now. Im leaning towards Xray or Schumacher with the Schumacher having the slight edge. My track doesnt stock parts for either though so that sucks.
I think you can turn your Ofna truggy into an SC. Just a few parts and you can turn it into the Hyper 10SC since its a Hyper series (check Ofna's website they have the instructions manual for both Hyper TT and Hyper 10SC so you can compare parts). I drive a Hyper 10SC at our local track and its a very durable truck since it was first designed as a nitro truck.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Forget popular, go to the track and see what class you find interesting. Also as said, look for local parts support.. With the online shopping you can get anything shipped to the door and at a fair price, but nothing like being able to replace / repair on the spot that day when something breaks, and something will break.

After that I would pick my chassis. Safe bet is you will be running brushless and lipo. And you can get get electronics on a budget. But there is a difference in the quality and durability. With most of the top brands you will get what you are paying for, and they tend to have better support in place as well.

It is going to be an experience, no doubt about that.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Where do you live ? What track are you going to run at ? Indoor/Outdoor ? Do you have kids to support or wives to keep happy ? Spend your money wisely. Think of some stuff as investments (electronics) where you may spend a few extra dollars for a proven product (no offense to flysky owners but I'll keep buying Airtronics) and others as consumables (cars and trucks) because they wear out and you may change your mind.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
Where do you live ? What track are you going to run at ? Indoor/Outdoor ? Do you have kids to support or wives to keep happy ? Spend your money wisely. Think of some stuff as investments (electronics) where you may spend a few extra dollars for a proven product (no offense to flysky owners but I'll keep buying Airtronics) and others as consumables (cars and trucks) because they wear out and you may change your mind.
True do not cut corners with electronics or servos. I learned this the hard way. I got some cheap chinese servos cause I thought they would be good but I crashed my truck cause the servo was so slow and broke a few parts and I learned and got a Hitec servo. So do not cut corners where it counts because you will only be hurting yourself to spend more money later.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

the best investment i have made since starting racing is buying a good quality radio. the 4pls is great as well as the mt-4, and right now if you are part of the super saver club at tower you can get the 4pls for 200.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.