Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
So I'm returning to racing but.... >

So I'm returning to racing but....

So I'm returning to racing but....

Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quality electronics is the number one thing. Sure, the cheap stuff is getting better, but, wouldn't you rather know you're getting something good from the start. Also, if you do have an issue with a higher quality part, the warranty procedure is going to be much easier.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm thinking about a SC10rs brushless and a SMC Lipo to get back on the track. My 11yr old boy is bugging me to start racing too. So, I'll pass it down to him when I figure out what I want. I know the radio it comes with is a piece of crap, but is the brushless setup in it usable?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Motor and ESC are fine, like any rtr the servo is junk. The motor is not a true 17.5 though so if your in the novice class for a couple months it won't matter (run what ya brung) but you may need to get another motor once you advance to stock class. Then you will want sensored... you need a new ESC along with the motor.

The shocks are a world apart from the rs and the kit sc10.2. $100 in shocks alone.
Spend a little money now and more money later or spend more money now and leave the $300 you spent on the rtr in your pocket

You already plan on tossing the radio (correct) and will eventually toss the rest of the electronics and be left with a outdated roller that you paid $300 for.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
Spend a little money now and more money later or spend more money now and leave the $300 you spent on the rtr in your pocket.

I agree with everyone that suggested buying quality electronics the first time. It's money saved in the long run. There are a lot of fans of those cheap radios, but it just shows they don't know to use the features only a good radio has.

The rtr is only a good value for someone that never intends on racing, they're only good for kids running in the street and bashers where it doesn't matter.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dezertranger96 View Post
the best investment i have made since starting racing is buying a good quality radio. the 4pls is great as well as the mt-4, and right now if you are part of the super saver club at tower you can get the 4pls for 200.
I own both and in my honest opinion I find the MT-4 superior in nearly every department. In fact the only thing where the 4PL seems to do better is range...

Originally Posted by Capo View Post
I'm thinking about a SC10rs brushless and a SMC Lipo to get back on the track. My 11yr old boy is bugging me to start racing too. So, I'll pass it down to him when I figure out what I want. I know the radio it comes with is a piece of crap, but is the brushless setup in it usable?
Switch that out for an SC10.2 factory team kit. Chuck your choice of ESC/motor in it and you're on the right track.

Matt.