R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   survey: kit VS race roller. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/752757-survey-kit-vs-race-roller.html)

ebay007 08-20-2013 07:33 AM

survey: kit VS race roller.

Hello.
so i was wandering, what do you like the most- kit or a race roller?
do you like to assemble and get to know the car inside out or would you rather to get an assembled car and only put your electric stuff in?

would you not buy a car because it comes as one of the two?

i didnt see an option for a 'real' survey so just write your opinion. :nod:

Grasschopper 08-20-2013 07:40 AM

Kit - I was bummed when I got my XXX-SCT and it was a roller...that said I got to tear it down to put the TLR kit on it and then the SCB chassis so it wound up being a kit.

I'd much rather have no one but myself to blame if the car falls apart on the track. You buy a race roller and you should really take it apart and rebuild or at least check every screw just to be sure.

heretic 08-20-2013 07:53 AM

Kit.

bdyche 08-20-2013 07:59 AM

Kit. A lot of cars require some extra attention to go together smooth, and that extra attention isn't going to be given by someone in a factory. I also don't want to get a roller and immediately tear it down and change differential setup and shocks when I can build my own setup and upgrades in the initial build.

MarkA 08-20-2013 08:07 AM

Having spent almost twice as long dissembling my SCTE to get the grease and other OEM stuff out of it as I would have just building it once, I want a kit.

The only exception would be the Schumacher pre-assembled cars. The pre-built ones they offer that I've seen have been built at least as well as 90% of racers would do anyway. For everything else, kit.

Zerodefect 08-20-2013 08:56 AM

Losi, AE, HB, HPI, I'd prefer a roller. They make so many cars that they screw up counting parts way too often. So from them I'd rather have rollers because they allways short me on parts.

Kits for all the higher end cars. I prefer kits because I can tap the screw holes properly before putting a button or flathead in. I also substitute certain parts and modify my kits to suit my needs.

mjmurphy 08-20-2013 09:01 AM

roller, all the parts are there and normally fit. Not too hard to adjust things or check screws on most cars.

mkiiina 08-20-2013 09:25 AM

I think it comes down to who the audience is.

When I was younger and just getting into R/C's I ONLY looked at RTR's (this was back in the early 90's when everything came as a kit and very few came as RTR).
Pros: No need to worry about what else was needed, correct sizing of motor/esc/servos. Got to start running right away. No need to worry about setup as it's usually a good base from the factory.
Cons: When something broke I wasn't sure always how to fix it/what needed to be upgraded/what service schedule to follow. Not sure how to make adjustments for the desired result.

Now that I am older and racing more than bashing: KIT! I enjoy putting them together and value the car more.
Pros: Can verify everything goes together well. I can put the exact setup I want on it. Can have upgrades from day 1 (and thus spares when something breaks!)
Cons: More time consuming (not having kids I have time to work on a car for a few days without it being disturbed), generally more costly (upgraded electronics compared to a RTR, a wash with a race roller). If you don't take your time in assembly you can have a really screwed up car (improper setup applied).

hoonigantoo 08-20-2013 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MarkA (Post 12466092)
Having spent almost twice as long dissembling my SCTE to get the grease and other OEM stuff out of it as I would have just building it once, I want a kit.

:nod::nod::nod:

regretfully i must admit to having bought a very few race-rollers ot rtr's, and i was disappointed with the assembly of each one. as a result i found it a necessity to go tgrough each one of them screw by screw, to make sure the were all tight or hadn't been stripped out, and between parts that had to be fixed or replaced and greased or oils that required changing, i'd find i had more time invested in rebuilding a ready to run car than had i built it from the ground up on my own.

spu83 08-20-2013 09:55 AM

Kit ! This is why it call hobby.

Lason 08-20-2013 10:47 AM

Kit, building them is half the fun for me. Not to mention, when it comes time to rip out a diff to service or something else, you have a pretty good understanding on the quickest way to do it.

XRated SCT 08-20-2013 11:10 AM

Track wise for me it's always going to be a kit, I'd like to know my truck/car inside and out so I'm not completely confused when I have to wrench, also you build it caring that's it's built right since you paid for it and you're going to be running it, I've only built 2 kits, scte 2.0 and FT T4.2 keep in mind both builds were with allen wrench/keys haha never really focused on spend 50$ on a hex driver set, I have my 3rd kit(tekno sct) sitting on my bench waiting to be built, which I ordered MIP drivers this time, either way it made the hobby a lot more interesting, if I ever buy an rtr it'll be a basher

dtr 08-20-2013 01:37 PM

Kit. Building from the ground up takes a lot less time than taking apart a roller to make sure it is built alright and set up for your needs.

Hoese37 08-20-2013 01:44 PM

Building it is half the fun.

H0LESH0T 08-20-2013 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hoese37 (Post 12467195)
Building it is half the fun.

:nod: