Wiki Posts
Search

13.5 Class - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default 13.5 Class - Thoughts?

Someone in one of my FB r/c groups wanted a rtr stadium truck for their GF who wanted to get into racing. While looking, I noticed the T4.2 RTR, 22T and the Durango DEST210 RTR all come with 13.5 turn motors. (Associated is 3300kv). So my question is that since the manufactures want to include 13.5 turn motors, how come we don't have a 13.5 turn class. If you bought any of these trucks, you would have to race mod or open class at your local track unless you spent the coin on a new motor to run 17.5 turn. I know back in the day we ran 19t class, this would be just like it. Seems like it would help to get more people on the track if they could race a rtr straight out of the box without getting their doors blown off.
Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Well I think that since the rtr buyer is usually not big into racing the companies give them something more suited to them. If 17.5 was included in rtr cars people in the rtr market would complain of it being to slow. So they include a 13.5 instead.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Suspended

other than the fact that the 19.5 class was no better of a entry class than throwing new drivers in with the mod class entries, along with the fact that adding a 13.5 class is just going to contribute to a longer raceday, the reality is that most tracks/clubs already have some kind of rookie or sportsman class that is intended for new drivers. we don't need a second class for those that are new or don't want to race in any of the regular classes.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Well I think that since the rtr buyer is usually not big into racing the companies give them something more suited to them. If 17.5 was included in rtr cars people in the rtr market would complain of it being to slow. So they include a 13.5 instead.
Right on the money.

Sometimes I wish that the mod class were capped @ 13.5 or 10.5 because the percentage of drivers that can manage full-mod horsepower is so small but 17.5 is really fast enough without being overwhelming and open allows racers to eventually settle on what works best for them when they get bored w/17.5 (I never do, dropped mod and not looking back..).
Old 08-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Legend

Only way to get good is to use a fast motor like the pro's ..

Takes time & practice , no way anyone can keep up with the experts with a spec motor .....
if you are aiming higher & become a better driver then a spec sand bagger ?

get a mod motor
Old 08-19-2013, 01:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Exclamation I agree

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Only way to get good is to use a fast motor like the pro's ..

Takes time & practice , no way anyone can keep up with the experts with a spec motor .....
if you are aiming higher & become a better driver then a spec sand bagger ?

get a mod motor
Just have open motor.... we can all run together.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Legend

XXXDAD

Agree It stupid these days ..
1/2 the racers racing stock never changing and stepping up .

This only has divided the community and deluted the racing fun ...

Stock is out of control, 17.5 have become mild mod motors...

New racers have to run mod speeds to join the fun and its killing any new blood from joining & staying ...

Either we slow spec 17.5 down or we reinvent the Novice class so new racers have a class of their own ...
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXDad
Just have open motor.... we can all run together.
Sounds good but never works out. Stock is by no means slow these days and only the very best drivers are good enough to have quality racing in mod. Without a slower option racers who are not interested in attempting to compete at a high level leave for other hobbies and tracks close. See carpet racing the past 6 or so years.