Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Worded more simply, why is 2mm on inside and 3mm on outside different from just 1mm on outside?
Not really. On Maifields set up on the front link it has 3mm inside and and out. On JP's set up it has 2mm inside and out. Since your raising or lowering the same on both ends is it changing the roll center? What effect does it have changing both ends the same amount? I know I like the feel of 2.5mm on both ends better than 3mm on both, but I can't tell what it is really changing.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Without getting into a full technical lesson. Changing the angle of the rod changes the roll center. Same with raising and lowering the rod it changes the roll center.

If you raise both equal you are extending the roll center which slows the roll. If you lower both you increase the roll center. If you lower the inner you increase roll center, lower the outer you reduce roll center.

I hope I got the directions correct but the idea is the same. There is a thread on camber tuning that is helpful.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ber-links.html
Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank Root
People aren't hot on that setup because it is Maifield's, they really like it because it drives awesome. People tend to try new setups when they come out, then either like it and continue to run it OR go back to the setup they have been running. Lots of people have just really liked his setup, the way it drives and performs fits the driving style of many. For me, the real difference, is that his setup is easier to drive than some of the others, but still has a lot of natural speed.

I run his setup with the only change being 2 hole pistons (1.5 front, 1.6 rear).

Thanks!
Frank
I agree with your description of the Maifield setup being a good setup that many people would like that drives very well. I just added a second MM buggy and went straight to this setup for mod and kept my RM for stock (although I am racing my stock car in mod at a small local track in my area). I hesitated to do MM at first and think this is a good time to do both over any time since the 22 came out.

It seems the pendulum has swung back a little and a place for both motor configurations has been found. I wouldn't have said this a year ago when it seemed to me that MM was going to eventually take over as people started to figure out how to get it to work on more than just extremely high grip surfaces.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yes, the weight further out has a greater mechanical advantage to cause or inhibit roll, and the weights next to the battery are placed to the rear of the pack increasing the rear weight bias, although only minimally.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. In your experience what have you noticed by running the side pod weights and shorty vs the saddle? Before I spend the money on side pod weights and battery weights I would like to hear about others experiences.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Ashalak
I actually tried Maifields JC Fall Indoor Nat's on a typical slippy indoor UK track, which was 70% super slippy polished floor and 30% carpet (Mainly on the straight) and I was super surprised at how good it was.. Considering at least how wildly different the tracks where, so it just goes to show how good the balance of the setup is.

I didn't follow it word for word, for example I used saddle packs rather than shorty but I didn't also use the 20g WTS Orion weights, so I was probably only about 20g heavier because of that. I also had to run 2.5wt thinner front/rear, so I was 32.5wt front and 30wt rear. The 35/32.5wt as per the setup was much too hard but I suspect that was more the temperature variation as much as anything. I also used Associated Springs as that's what I have, Green's rear and Grey's front but again very similar to the TLR Yellow/KYO Gold (In theory).

I'd definitely recommend giving it a go though, it wasn't unpredictable at all and had good drive out of the corners, good steering and jumped good too. The only thing I was lacking was a touch more side bite and a touch more corner entry, but really they only required minor changes which I'll try next time
What about ride height? Did you manage to keep the same 24 or did you lower it? I wonder if for carpet tracks 24 is a good starting point or should be lower anyhow...

Thanks
Duke
Old 01-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by flyduke
What about ride height? Did you manage to keep the same 24 or did you lower it? I wonder if for carpet tracks 24 is a good starting point or should be lower anyhow...

Thanks
Duke
Flyduke,

I run carpet and carpet/mixed surface, tracks only.

Right now at 18mm rear, 17mm front.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbracn
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. In your experience what have you noticed by running the side pod weights and shorty vs the saddle? Before I spend the money on side pod weights and battery weights I would like to hear about others experiences.
I haven't run saddle in my 2wd, just the shorty with some weight. Good thing about running a shorty, it that you can take the weight easily (or add it) if you want, and then you don't have to change anything else to fit a different size pack.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radek
Flyduke,

I run carpet and carpet/mixed surface, tracks only.

Right now at 18mm rear, 17mm front.
For carpet I start at 20mm front and rear.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

I haven't run saddle in my 2wd, just the shorty with some weight. Good thing about running a shorty, it that you can take the weight easily (or add it) if you want, and then you don't have to change anything else to fit a different size pack.
+1 shorty just gives you more weight distribution options.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is the 1.5x2 shock pistons TLR233008 not what came with the kit? If not what is the difference?

Also what is the advantage of the bell crank steering system?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by flyduke

Thanks
Duke
Forgot about RH! I didn't run it so high, it wouldn't of handled so well with the ride height at 24mm so I ran 21mm front and rear, this for me I thought would be a good compromise on both the low and high-grip surfaces - plus there was some jumps and some rumble sections

I also agree on running the Shorty pack to give you more weight placement options over the saddle - But from my point of view most seemed to be adding it right along the side of the shorty (WTS Orion Weights) which kinda defeated the point of not running saddles. Fair enough if your going to run it somewhere else, but if your not then that's the point?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I would like to install the bell crank in my 22 2.0 But I have it in RM is it still a good idea
Also bought the front spindles. Thanks for help
Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pyroMIKE
Is the 1.5x2 shock pistons TLR233008 not what came with the kit? If not what is the difference?

Also what is the advantage of the bell crank steering system?
The kit does not come with the 1.5x2 it comes with 1.6x2 TLR233009. The difference is that the 1.5x2 will have more pack than the standard kit piston 1.6x2.

The bell crank steering provides a much smoother steering input to the car as well as improving the amount of steering you get. The bell cranks is possibly the number 1 best upgrade for the car IMO.

JP
Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dolfns1
I would like to install the bell crank in my 22 2.0 But I have it in RM is it still a good idea
Also bought the front spindles. Thanks for help
As JP just said, the belcrank is a great up for any version. I run RM only and my steering is sooo much tighter and precise since going to the belcrank. I think it has to do with the ackerman angles between the slider and the belcrank. But what ever...do it!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JP.R
The kit does not come with the 1.5x2 it comes with 1.6x2 TLR233009. The difference is that the 1.5x2 will have more pack than the standard kit piston 1.6x2.

The bell crank steering provides a much smoother steering input to the car as well as improving the amount of steering you get. The bell cranks is possibly the number 1 best upgrade for the car IMO.

JP
Ordered! you talked me into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.