Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bivens
Every time I finish on the top of the box or just behind FAST guys that travel in for our money races.......I think how much faster I've gotten using the recommended add-on TLR parts. And....I smile....because usually there are several other 22's that have not taken advantage of those parts...
That's my sinister point.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jake S
never tried them, i run mod, but hearing how quick people are wearing out the pucks with just a 17.5... i wouldnt want to.
Thanks for the help! It was very much appreciated.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

MAybe we need a subscription based model? Car cost nothing up front. you pay a monthly for as long as you want to stay current 20$ a month Every upgrade or change that comes out you get it in the mail for your 20$ a month 22 2.0 to 22 2.9.... LOL

But your locked in for 10 years

jokes
Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
MAybe we need a subscription based model? Car cost nothing up front. you pay a monthly for as long as you want to stay current 20$ a month Every upgrade or change that comes out you get it in the mail for your 20$ a month 22 2.0 to 22 2.9.... LOL

jokes
That's $240/yr to have an up to date car at all times. Best deal going by far.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace

jokes
LOL That's awesome!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up Research and development

Originally Posted by gticlay
The kit comes with a quite robust number of high end parts that are typically aftermarket on other kits and their OEM steel camber links are actually useable unlike most others. I completely agree there are some *no brainer* parts that should be included as an update - the cab forward body and bell crank steering are probably the most important. Take a new photo for the box for goodness sake and please don't give me a body that is just going into the trash for most of us. I've done that kind of thing for the companies I've worked for and while a minor hassle, it's not really that big a deal. Other than those 2 parts, I don't really see anything that should be in there that isn't. Weights are pretty much always an optional part although to be fair, the B4.2 and T4.2 both come with a weight that is basically in the same place as the brass weights on the 22. To be even more fair, the B5M doesn't come with the brass weights in those spots either.

Anyway, the whole point is that the kit definitely should be updated with at the very least those two parts and other than that I think most top club racers could easily win with the car box stock.

What people have to realize is the effort that goes into research and development and then how to bring that to market. Both of these items take a great deal of time and effort by organizations. It takes a great deal of organization of various teams and parts of the company to develop, test, market and distribute any new product. I like the fact the TLR releases these upgrades as they have found them to work and improve the performance of the car once they are ready for distribution.

I am sure a new version or updated version is probably a year to a year and a half away. Look at the 22 SCT 2.0. Various drivers made some very deliberate and interesting changes to that truck. After the team drivers essentially developed a new truck, these items and setups were released in forums like this so club drivers could make the changes if they wanted to. We're some of the changes cheap? No. Where they necessary to be competitive? No. TLR shares this information with everyone and let's the individual decide if the would like to upgrade their vehicle or not. Once there were enough upgrades or changes to "package" a new version they launched the SCT 2.0.

After running an RB6 (which I spent easily $100 in upgrades to a kit that already costs $439.00) last year and observing Associated's launch of the B5 and B5M as separate kits, and have items such as plastic shock caps and a weak rear bulkhead (which for most upgraded to aluminum immediately) I think the 2.0 is a very competitively priced durable platform that requires little to no upgrades to be competitive out of the box.

I could be wrong on this but I think TLR has upgraded the slipper plates/ slipper pads/ spur gears in the 22 2.0 kits, and I seem to recall one other minor upgrade that slips my mind.

It makes zero since for an organization to constantly deliver upgraded kits after every change. Would it be nice if companies could do this? Yes, but not realistic.

I think we have become spoiled as consumers at to the frequency that kits are released. Back in the day it was easily 3-4 years in-between kits.

I personally enjoy the fact we can upgrade as we go until the next greatest thing hits the shelves of your local hobby shop.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm new to the losi car and have owned the b5m and a lot of kyosho cars as well. I gotta say for the money this is the best kit going. The quality of the parts is top notch and you get lots of nice aluminum pieces to boot. With te k cars u get good plastic but no nice aluminum goodies like the losi but u pay a lot for their kits. As for AE. The car is good but u get no goodies at all. The losi has a nice mix of goodies and a fair price. I'm completely happy with what I got for the money I spent. I think I'm going to be running losi cars for a while. I actually was one of the first people to get a jrx2 when it was first released and never should have left losi or the hobby.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by eper
I'm new to the losi car and have owned the b5m and a lot of kyosho cars as well. I gotta say for the money this is the best kit going. The quality of the parts is top notch and you get lots of nice aluminum pieces to boot. With te k cars u get good plastic but no nice aluminum goodies like the losi but u pay a lot for their kits. As for AE. The car is good but u get no goodies at all. The losi has a nice mix of goodies and a fair price. I'm completely happy with what I got for the money I spent. I think I'm going to be running losi cars for a while. I actually was one of the first people to get a jrx2 when it was first released and never should have left losi or the hobby.
The car is built tough..I had a few run ins with some 1/8 buggies and haven't broken anything yet.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It is tuff. And I like how things where thought out. Just the fact that they put nuts in the front bulkhead shows they actually thought about it. How many times I had to replace bulkheads cause the plastic stripped out on other buggies. Simple things like that mean a lot
Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BuddyLee303
It makes zero since for an organization to constantly deliver upgraded kits after every change. Would it be nice if companies could do this? Yes, but not realistic.

I think we have become spoiled as consumers at to the frequency that kits are released. Back in the day it was easily 3-4 years in-between kits.

I personally enjoy the fact we can upgrade as we go until the next greatest thing hits the shelves of your local hobby shop.
Agreed, it does make zero sense to release a new kit every year, but now that the TLR kit "requires" ~$100 in updates, on top of it's $350 cost to run the correct mid-motor setup, the separate B5 kits are starting to much make more sense to me.

While the 22 created a great surge for TLR, it already seems to be in decline because of the barriers that exists in buying/building a new kit. There are diehard fans that will do this because the custom aspect is fun for some, but there are several other choices in this smaller segment (Kyosho, Durango, Serpent, etc.).

There is something to be said for platform discipline. The TLR 8ight has changed less in it's time and seems to hold market share in an even more competitive landscape (in terms of viable kit options).
Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Agreed, it does make zero sense to release a new kit every year, but now that the TLR kit "requires" ~$100 in updates, on top of it's $350 cost to run the correct mid-motor setup, the separate B5 kits are starting to much make more sense to me.

While the 22 created a great surge for TLR, it already seems to be in decline because of the barriers that exists in buying/building a new kit. There are diehard fans that will do this because the custom aspect is fun for some, but there are several other choices in this smaller segment (Kyosho, Durango, Serpent, etc.).

There is something to be said for platform discipline. The TLR 8ight has changed less in it's time and seems to hold market share in an even more competitive landscape (in terms of viable kit options).
Sorry to disappoint you David... but we are DEFINITELY not in a decline. Since the bulk of these option parts have shipped, we moving solidly in the opposite direction...

BTW - the kit does NOT require $100 in up grades. The standard length chassis and slider rack, as well as the stock body have ALL won National Championships. 95% of our team ran standard length chassis until 2 months ago... and we've had great results this year.. just sayin'.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Sorry to disappoint you David... but we are DEFINITELY not in a decline. Since the bulk of these option parts have shipped, we moving solidly in the opposite direction...
That doesn't disappoint me in the least, quite the opposite, it's just not what I'm seeing in my market.

Are your kit unit sales climbing, or just revenue due to aftermarket sales?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

I have a stupid question...on the setup sheets for the front camber link position, I'll see something like 1-B. I know what 1 is but what is B? the 1st or second hole on the on caster block?

edit: another one...for this: Bump Steer Ball Stud: Standard Low Mount and Ackermann Ball Stud: Standard Low Mount are they referring to the washers?

Thanks!

Last edited by skeasor; 01-08-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default RM vs. MM, shorter chassis?

Frank Root

As I read this forum I am getting the consensus that the MM is not for everyone or for every class. Even stated earlier the factory drivers were not all on board with the shorter chassis. Aside from personal preferences, correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

1) The MM and shorter chassis are ideal for mod classes and maybe trucks/sct.

2) The RM and longer chassis are better suited for stock 17.5 buggy classes.

My personal driving style I like the RM setup, have not tried the shorter chassis though. I do know that I can get the inside of a tight corner on a MM almost every time, but they do seem to carry more speed coming out of a corner. This is why maybe in mod classes the MM rules, but when motors are equal gaining control of the inside of a turn can be huge.

Just my observations from the track and this forum.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
That's $240/yr to have an up to date car at all times. Best deal going by far.

Not bad..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.