Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread >

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
The spindle ball stud location changes, the rest is the same geometry. We have modified the product process for the parts, which should help durability.

To "beef up" the part just isn't possibly due to interference issues. The only way to due this would limit steering throw/performance.
Thanks Frank that is good to know.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu View Post
Any explanation about how and why the spindle ball stud changes?
less aggressive ackermann? or longer sweep distance to reduce steering speed?
Two-fold. 1) Ackermann adjustment on the spindle to work in conjunction with the bell cranks. 2) Shorter steering arm to quicker the steering spindle speed which is needed to match the shorter bell crank and its speed, otherwise, full lock would not be obtainable.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
Two-fold. 1) Ackermann adjustment on the spindle to work in conjunction with the bell cranks. 2) Shorter steering arm to quicker the steering spindle speed which is needed to match the shorter bell crank and its speed, otherwise, full lock would not be obtainable.
cool, thanks~
Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Bonhomme View Post
Innovate or die! TLR has always been at the forefront of innovation in R/C for years. AE puts out great products. But they sit on their designs for a while, hence leading to all the aftermarket products. It's almost as they react to the market changes once their cars start losing their advantage to other companies. !
There is no doubt that TLR is innovative. It just seems that in the 2wd category, the most competitive version of the car is never what comes out of the box anymore. This has been true since the XXX days. This car is changing faster than racers can learn it.

I don't agree that the B4/5 needs aftermarket stuff. They have changed that car exactly as much as they needed to to keep it up front and nothing more.

I still run 22's because I like this car the best but mine aren't "up to spec" (1.0's w/ 2.0 spindles/blocks).
Old 05-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

other than the bellcranks, what is not run on a rm 22 out of the box...

the mid motor adds some wts, but again other than the bell cranks, that is all...
Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I run my 2.0 box stock. I dont get why people are complaining soo much. Should be happy that TLR is releasing the rack. Exotek can release it faster, but maching is faster than molding to get started. TLR had their drivers testing and giving feedback for the TLR rack. So who exactly tested the exotek rack? The exotek may be good or it may not be. But I HIGHLY doubt that the TLR and exotek racks are the "same". IF tlr had made the plastic one first, then exotek make and alum version with the same geometry, then they would be very similar aside from stiffness and weight. But IMO these wont be the same. Which is better? time will tell. For people complaining about spending money...your in the wrong hobby. There are some things I dislike about the 22 and there are many things I like. It is a good car and TLR is taking the time to make it better. Maybe the new rack will "fix" some of the issues I have with the car.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
other than the bellcranks, what is not run on a rm 22 out of the box...

the mid motor adds some wts, but again other than the bell cranks, that is all...
I think he's talking about 1.0->2.0 update. Like quarter of the difference was available before 2.0 was announced. You will loose a bunch of money selling well upgraded 1.0. Or you will still need to spend a lot of money just to update your old upgraded 1.0 to 2.0.
Well, almost every brand does that. like AE's B4, B4.1, B4.1 FT, B4.1 world, B4.2, etc...
The good thing about this is, if everything is new, you'll have trouble finding parts in the first several months.

The thing I don't like TLR nowadays is, they are doing the non-optional package deal like expensive kyosho is doing, selling a part with 3 extra redundant parts at 3 times the price.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I'm not complaining, just speculating as to the difference in practices between TLR and AE. I'm interested in how they arrived at the sliding rack (& the 1.0's geometry, for that matter) now that they're moving away from it.

AE rode out the same platform with only minor updates for ~10 years. While that could seem like complacency by some, customers clearly liked it. It was still selling well before the B5 was announced from what I could see. It is clear that AE has been rewarded for their consistency.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

I don't understand why people complain about having to spend money to upgrade. Be happy that you can just slap a few parts and have them be compatible without having to buy a whole new platform to get an updated version. Besides if companies never make changes to their platform and offer them as parts or upgrades then they would likely go out of business very quick!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I run my 2.0 box stock. I dont get why people are complaining soo much. Should be happy that TLR is releasing the rack. Exotek can release it faster, but maching is faster than molding to get started. TLR had their drivers testing and giving feedback for the TLR rack. So who exactly tested the exotek rack? The exotek may be good or it may not be. But I HIGHLY doubt that the TLR and exotek racks are the "same". IF tlr had made the plastic one first, then exotek make and alum version with the same geometry, then they would be very similar aside from stiffness and weight. But IMO these wont be the same. Which is better? time will tell. For people complaining about spending money...your in the wrong hobby. There are some things I dislike about the 22 and there are many things I like. It is a good car and TLR is taking the time to make it better. Maybe the new rack will "fix" some of the issues I have with the car.
You ever get that thing to run right in the later heats/main??
Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default ALUMINUM SPINDLES

I race on a outside dirt track and was hoping somebody has tried the
aluminum +2 spindles and can let me know what they thought? I have a
set through a trade and am hesitant on installing them.
Thanks.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
I race on a outside dirt track and was hoping somebody has tried the
aluminum +2 spindles and can let me know what they thought? I have a
set through a trade and am hesitant on installing them.
Thanks.
I have been running them on my 22 2.0 for awhile now. They make the car more edgier imo. Having less offset will theoretically make the turning a quicker response. So if you want an edgier car then get them if not then the stock +4mm trail will be better. It took me some time to get use to it but I couldn't say they are hands down better or worse. But definite notice in steering input and the response.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
You ever get that thing to run right in the later heats/main??
Still working on the setup. I took some weight out of the car. I am hoping that makes it more nimble. I had added the brass 25 kick and 60oz under the esc for outdoor racing. I am thinking I dont need that much weight on this new track. I hope to make RM work, because I would rather not go MM. But if this does not work, I will configure the car in MM and try that.

JConcepts put a video up of Maifield running on my local track this past weekend for the dirt invert.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152423882938216
Old 05-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Another read:

http://2wdmod.com/2014/05/12/bell-cr...tem-222-0tsct/
Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Tech Rookie

tried out my exotek bellcranks on my stock and mod cars, stock was great as is. plenty of traction front and rear. mod was a little tricky though, i think the geometry is a bit different so i turned down the steering speed on my remote and helped a bunch. interested to try out the tlr bellcrank when its released to see how the geometry is on it. (both cars set up mid)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.