TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread >

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
I run 17.5 blinky on a medium to high traction clay track. Is it worth going to mm for 17.5 blin? Any set ups for mm 17.5 blinky?
This is the best setup I have found for track conditions like you described.

This seems to work flawlessly. every time I try to stray away from it, it seems like I just make it worse. lol.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Selling my MM 22 2.0 if anyone is interested.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mupchu
you do realize you are coming into a losi 22 thread to champion the b5m right?
AE has released a pair of game changers in cars that are sub-$260 and competitive at any level of racing. I'm just pointing out the reality of the marketplace at the moment. I just bought 2 x 22's last week for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robert Bakoczy
This is the best setup I have found for track conditions like you described.

This seems to work flawlessly. every time I try to stray away from it, it seems like I just make it worse. lol.
Thanks.
I don't know if this has been asked and answered. The original 22 and the 2.0 have the same chassis correct? As things wear on the original, will the 2.0 parts bolt on? What are the differences in the front and rear arms etc.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

different chassis
Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Do you know that it benefits you to have the motor that far forward? The Centro was designed primarily for those surfaces and it has a more rearward weight bias.

Now that mid-motor is becoming popular for dirt I think they're going to want to address it. Not many are willing to spend $100 for a weight set, nor do they want a car that heavy. AE's car is nearly $100 less and it doesn't sound like it'll need any of that.
I didn't mean to sound as if I was doubting you. I'm sure you would benefit from a more rearward motor position if you say so.

Yes I do. I have done a lot of testing with weights. Both on my b4 and now on the 22. Not only slapping some weight on but taking my time to re-tune roll centers and suspension as well. I feel quite confident in that area of tuning.

The centro is a great and very successfull car. But the motor position and layout of the centro and now the b5 was one of the reasons I switched from Ae to losi. Like you, but the opposite. I did not want to add front weight.

On the tracks I run, forward motor cars like the cougar kf, tm2, xray xb4 and rudebits db, are very competitive. It's just about what suits your tracks.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

AE has released a pair of game changers in cars that are sub-$260 and competitive at any level of racing. I'm just pointing out the reality of the marketplace at the moment. I just bought 2 x 22's last week for whatever that's worth.
game changer? Mid motor has been around a while (xfactory anyone?) and while I think it will be a significant platform I think you may have prematurely jumped the shark. Also keep in mind that the sub 260 price tag is due to the plastic parts, and non factory team parts in the release. you are not comparing apples to apples here. You would need to buy 2 kits the RM and MM car to really compare since the 22 2.0 comes with both. That may sound like a fanboi comment but you really can't compare the two platforms as is. When AE comes out with the factory team edition . . . then you may be onto something. Even that said I don't think you are going to see everyone drop the 22 to run to the AE . . . well the car of the month club might but . . . pretty happy with mine and truth is if you are getting whooped with a 22 2.0 moving to the B5 is not going to instantly put you in the amain. Better to spend all the money on practice time . . .
Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14
Thanks.
I don't know if this has been asked and answered. The original 22 and the 2.0 have the same chassis correct? As things wear on the original, will the 2.0 parts bolt on? What are the differences in the front and rear arms etc.
Thanks in advance
Yes...the new parts all bolt right on....

The 2.0 chassis IS new...but the only technical changes are a few extra holes for battery placement options...and it has been milled under the servo.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Prophet

game changer? Mid motor has been around a while (xfactory anyone?) and while I think it will be a significant platform I think you may have prematurely jumped the shark. Also keep in mind that the sub 260 price tag is due to the plastic parts, and non factory team parts in the release. you are not comparing apples to apples here. You would need to buy 2 kits the RM and MM car to really compare since the 22 2.0 comes with both. That may sound like a fanboi comment but you really can't compare the two platforms as is. When AE comes out with the factory team edition . . . then you may be onto something. Even that said I don't think you are going to see everyone drop the 22 to run to the AE . . . well the car of the month club might but . . . pretty happy with mine and truth is if you are getting whooped with a 22 2.0 moving to the B5 is not going to instantly put you in the amain. Better to spend all the money on practice time . . .
you were correct. kinda fanboyish. I like the rm 22 2.0 very much. but the MM was a complete let down. IMO, conversions cars cant do both well. if i decide to go MM it might be the b5m and keep my 22 for rm.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Well I took my 22 2.0 on its maiden voyage yesterday. It was okay, but my B4.2 drove much much better on hard packed clay. I think I've got some setup work to do. I was using the out of box setup. Traction was good, but steering was mediocre.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by blade329
Well I took my 22 2.0 on its maiden voyage yesterday. It was okay, but my B4.2 drove much much better on hard packed clay. I think I've got some setup work to do. I was using the out of box setup. Traction was good, but steering was mediocre.
It wont steer exactly like a b4, because.... its a 22 The b5 does not even steer like a b4, lol
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

game changer? Mid motor has been around a while (xfactory anyone?) and while I think it will be a significant platform I think you may have prematurely jumped the shark.
The "Factory Team" parts will not improve lap-times as the plastic in this new kit are stiff, strong and on par with their competitor's quality (finally) and the car is a big improvement over the B4.2. The game change is the price that this is on offer for.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bivens
Yes...the new parts all bolt right on....

The 2.0 chassis IS new...but the only technical changes are a few extra holes for battery placement options...and it has been milled under the servo.
Thank you. That helps, being on a tight budget I will upgrade as I go.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The "Factory Team" parts will not improve lap-times as the plastic in this new kit are stiff, strong and on par with their competitor's quality (finally) and the car is a big improvement over the B4.2. The game change is the price that this is on offer for.

we'll see, last time I had a b4.1 the plastics wore out in a couple months; until the vehicle is out for some time I hardly think I can evaluate it. It's a toy car, and honestly pretty happy with the 22 even given what I paid for it, it was not drastically more, and I wanted to try mid motor . . . You get to 'try' the mid motor ae car for $260 . . . hardly a game changer. I believe the hybrid car is probably not as advanced on paper, but then again who would have predicted everyone would go mid motor this year. Your discussion still belongs more in a thread discussing the merits of mid-motor rather than a thread dedicated to the 22.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

quick question and observation from posts above
First my question- I have been having a really hard time getting my sons 22 1.0 to hook up in the mid motor configuration. We have added the TLR brass weight kit that hangs off the back, removed the motor/ chassis brace for more flex and too scoot the battery as far back as possible. I have looked at a few set up sheets that im going to try Dunford and Phends OCRC set ups, but that's my question, Dunfords set up seems to add a ton of weight with all the Rocket RC items, but Phend seems to have only added 7g to the back of the car? Where did Phend find the traction if Dunford needed all that weight? Ive heard Dunfords set up is really comfortable/ easy to drive but is that because the car is so heavy?

Now my observation- I have been lucky enough to drive a B4.1 FT, then WC, B4.2, B5, my sons 22 in RM and MM and now my RB6 in MM. To be honest I love the look of the 22 but it lacks. I don't want to give up on it because he loves his TLR vehicles, the 22SCT drives like a dream but again it lacks. and what I mean by lacks is the steering, both of them have ridiculously slow steering. Even with two different servos(Futaba and Savox) I have upgraded the front end with the arms, trailing arms and knuckles and when compared 1.0 to 2,o yea, it was a great improvement but still way behind the AE and Kyosho cars. Even when comparing his SCT to the SC10, huge difference in steering, and Im not coming on here to start s*&t, it comes from him as well as me, Im on here to try and find a solution with dumping a ton of money into his 22. To me it has to do with the steering components, the slide set up cant be as efficient as the bellcrank set up. I ran across a pretty cool looking upgrade that we might try using a few different parts to make a RB6 style bellcrank. Also reading the guys that are disappointed in the MM feel of the 22, after comparing his 22 to my RB6, the 22s motor is about 3/4 of an inch farther forward than my RB6, that's a lot of weight bias youre trying to fight. My car stays way more hooked than his on our track, even when it starts drying out. Our home track usually takes well to the OCRC set ups so im really hoping one of them works for my sons car.

Any input would be great, I have read quite a few posts and tried different little changes but it seems about time to completely tear the car apart and start over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.