Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread >

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Raising the inner rear camber link lowers the roll center, which would give you more traction and less steering.

Lowering the front inner camber link would raise the roll center, give you less front traction.
you are right about the roll center, but roll center is not the only thing changed when moving camber links, the most noticeable one is swing axle length (camber rise aka tire contact patch) . Also having a low roll center on rear end does not mean beginning/middle/exit rear traction will increase. lowering rear roll center will give more bite on rear end going into turn but will want to hook coming out (more rotation).
Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phillypete
so lower inner camber link = more steering?
If you lower the rear inner ballstud it will raise your roll center. The rear end will drive flatter through the corner and have less roll. In most offroad cases this will let the car rotate a little better and the rear end will be less locked in.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kellen Guthrie
If you lower the rear inner ballstud it will raise your roll center. The rear end will drive flatter through the corner and have less roll. In most offroad cases this will let the car rotate a little better and the rear end will be less locked in.
My experience with the end result have been different. More camber gain will softer the feel of the suspension, and cause the car to roll more. But you also keep a better tire contact patch in the turn and it generally increases rear side bite and locks in the rear of the car. I have actually been running more camber gain lately on my 22 2.0 and 22SCT and been liking it in both cases.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971

this is front JQ the Guide:
More Steering Into the Corner:
Less caster
Stand up front shocks on tower
Front upper link down on tower
Short ackermann plate
Steering link back on Ackermann plate
Thinner rear swaybar
Lean rear shocks down on tower

Ok, paint me massively confused:

the Hudy Guide says to to raise the front tower camber mount for more steering into corners.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

the Hudy Guide says to to raise the front tower camber mount for more steering into corners.
4wd and 2wd setup changes don't always act the same and all this roll center stuff is based off optimal onroad traction. Test and make your own notes. Track conditions tires and things like that will all play into an over all setup.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Talking I Luv my 22's

The Best buggy I ever had....
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Like Casper mentioned, the difference in on-road and off-road traction changes the equation completely. Many things are backwards from each other. They have the same effect in terms of how the car rolls, but that doesn't always equal the same end result of more steering, or less traction, etc.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Internet tuning in general is pretty hard. You really just need to make changes and test them out. if your track has ever changing traction, then even that will be very difficult. I just used franks setup as a starting point, because the kit setup was terrible for me. Then, I just tune with tires and many make a small change here or there when I am bored. Because my traction can great change even in the same heat, I have to pretty much adjust my driving as I go. But, I think this is the case for anyone running on an inconsistent surface. When, I ran my sc10, I raised the inner ball stud to calm it down and take away steering. I also tried to lower it to feel the change and that just made it seem worse. But then again, racing outdoors on watered tracks makes it difficult to really fine toon. Just get it close and make sure you have the right tires on the car. The right tires for the first heat might not be the right tires for the next heat. At least, not where I am. Pretty much everyone I gave franks setup too loved it, but one guy. And he said it had too much steering. he said my car was very twitchy and I just laughed. Obviously he never owned a b4, lol. The 22 is wicked easy to drive.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wildcat. 3 more posts and BOOM 10k!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Dlite
The Best buggy I ever had....
I couldn't agree more.....I'm just another losi PHREEK in the making hahaha
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Very excited. I just bought my first Losi. Should have my 22 2.0 mid next week.

Held out as long as I could, time to retire my beloved RB5. It's been good to me.

Will be racing mainly on an indoor carpet track with the odd trip to a new indoor clay track.

Can't wait to start the build.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Opps, double post.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

it was a tricky day for testing at the track. there is a carpet race on the other side of town tomorrow so everyone has been turning their laps up there this week. The track was the slickest i've ever seen it, so i had to take that into account with my tuning.

i started out with frank's setup expect for a stock yellow spring in the rear (im waiting on my LF spring kit to show up.

after a couple of laps to get a baseline, i started making adjustments to get a little more turn in off throttle.

i started by moving both spindle spacers to the top of the caster block. this helped a good bit, but i still wanted more, so i took the 1mm spacer out from under the front camber mount.

this got me right where i wanted my turn in, but now i had trouble with the buggy hooking through the turn as i started to roll on the throttle.

i first tried raising the rear inner ballstuds, but this seem to make it worse, so took the outer camber ballstud spacer up to 2mm and kept the inner at zero. it was still a little too sensitive for my taste, but i didnt want to get too crazy due to the unusual track conditions.

At my job I play an engineer, so I like the how and why to go along with the results.

i can understand where tuning would be completely different for a 2wd than for a 4wd. Someone should probably write a tuning guide specifically 2wd offroad... clears throat... TLR... hehehe

I'm lovin this machine so far. The quality of the build and the durability that i have found this far have made me feel like i got my moneys worth and then some!

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie James
Very excited. I just bought my first Losi. Should have my 22 2.0 mid next week.

Held out as long as I could, time to retire my beloved RB5. It's been good to me.

Will be racing mainly on an indoor carpet track with the odd trip to a new indoor clay track.

Can't wait to start the build.
You will absolutly love it....
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Car set-up.

Stop reading about it and test,test,test, then take notes. If you dont change something on your car during practice and run, you are missing out. Knowledge comes from experience, not from just reading it and copy catting. Every car reacts a bit differently to changes so one needs to learn the car and what does what, especially if you are going to race at different tracks. Nothing sucks more then to finally find the grip you were looking for in the "D MAIN". You dont really need to know the engineering principles to be able to set up a car.It helps, but is not the answer. When discussing roll center, why doesnt anyone ever explain"when you change this it does this to side bite and this to forward grip". That is what people look for mostly, the answer not the equation. I think I wear parts out more from unscrewing and screwing in ball studs than the actual wear itself.LOL! I do however understand the engineering, but sometimes adjustments do stuff that just seem like it should be backwards in off road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.