Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread >

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Phend had a great 2wd buggy run thats for sure and if it wasn't for Mayfield and Cav hitting each other in the same corner during A1 and A2 the turn out could have been different cause they were both fast. Both wrecks were on the same jump and like Todd said MM makes the car jump awkward so that could have played a part.

Phend got the lead and just drove flawless. Awesome job for a young kid going against the best in the world or should I say a young kid who is one of the best in the world.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

He did a good job, but yeah, the ryans blew it and phend capitalized. it was good to see rear motor win. I am so tired of the MM fad. Guys keep trying it locally and failing badly. They lose like 2-3 30 second laps. I dont race on sugar and never will. I need a car that can perform in RM config.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Doesn't matter HOW he won, he won. Point Blank End of story. If teammates can't race together without taking each other out, that is their problem.

The RM/MM debate is something I think comes down to driver preference. I drove a MM car this weekend and can honestly say, I don't think I would EVER find a condition where I would want to drive one. It is far to awkward for me.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Captcha
Doesn't matter HOW he won, he won. Point Blank End of story. If teammates can't race together without taking each other out, that is their problem.

The RM/MM debate is something I think comes down to driver preference. I drove a MM car this weekend and can honestly say, I don't think I would EVER find a condition where I would want to drive one. It is far to awkward for me.

Ease up on the testosterone shots will ya...
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Congratulations to TLR for winning the 2wd Nats!

ninja edit: How many of you have actually spent time tuning/testing MM? I'm talking more than one weekend of racing. From my viewpoint, it's not easy for anyone to switch away from something they've been running for years (was hard for me initially!). As Todd pointed out, driving style also has a lot to do with it. My personal experience having run a 22 and a Rb6, is that I like the balance in the MM configuration.

Last edited by JiuHaWong; 08-12-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dakotah and the new 22 2.0 won this past weekend because they were the perfect package, he drove awesome in the first two A-Mains and capitalized on others mistakes. He drove a smart race, people can say whatever they want about but the bottom line is he put on a great performance, didn't get rattled by nerves, and crossed the finish line first. There was a lot of hard work and dedication that was put into that win and it was well deserved by the entire TLR team.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Gray
Dakotah and the new 22 2.0 won this past weekend because they were the perfect package, he drove awesome in the first two A-Mains and capitalized on others mistakes. He drove a smart race, people can say whatever they want about but the bottom line is he put on a great performance, didn't get rattled by nerves, and crossed the finish line first. There was a lot of hard work and dedication that was put into that win and it was well deserved by the entire TLR team.
No one said he did deserve the win. He got out front, drove clean and kept it on all 4 wheels. He ran Rm and beat Dustin who ran the MM. Both ran the 2.0, so it was good to see the RM was able to be tuned to perform better or equal to the MM driven by Dustin.

My comment had nothing to do with whether Phenda earned it or not. It was more directed at the Ryan's for choking. Phend could have got out front and choked but he stayed smooth and won. The ryan's turned faster laps, but like Ty said, its hard to gain time, but easy to give it away. Phend didnt give it away, the ryans did. Phend also made a comment at one point about having dustin between him and the ryans. Something to the effect, It fell good having Dustin as a buffer because Dustin would not take him out. That made me giggle because the ryans were so competitive with each other and driving bumper to bumper, that when the lead ryan messed up, they both ate it. They could have benefited from a little team driving.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
Ease up on the testosterone shots will ya...
Has nothing to do with testosterone shots. Just no need to try and take away phends win with how or why it happened. He beat the best by being the best on sunday.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Captcha
Has nothing to do with testosterone shots. Just no need to try and take away phends win with how or why it happened. He beat the best by being the best on sunday.
Who was trying to take away his win?

Comprehension and Discussion.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Andrew Gray
This is a forum and we are discussing how and what lead to Phend getting to the lead, you people who need to relax and learn how to talk about things instead of getting all defensive.

I think everyone has stated how well Phend drove and how he kept it mistake free once he was in the lead.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
Congratulations to TLR for winning the 2wd Nats!

ninja edit: How many of you have actually spent time tuning/testing MM? I'm talking more than one weekend of racing. From my viewpoint, it's not easy for anyone to switch away from something they've been running for years (was hard for me initially!). As Todd pointed out, driving style also has a lot to do with it. My personal experience having run a 22 and a Rb6, is that I like the balance in the MM configuration.
Do you run on high bite?

I run on medium bite and high bite and have never tried it out but I dont see the need to keep switching back and forth when rear motor works well all the way around.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Carranza76
Do you run on high bite?

I run on medium bite and high bite and have never tried it out but I dont see the need to keep switching back and forth when rear motor works well all the way around.
I have yes (high bite and a little medium bite). Hey, if RM works for you, I'm not going to argue! The point I'm trying to make is that given enough time, MM can work, but the adjustment period is often hard, especially when someone (like myself) has run RM for so long.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
I have yes (high bite and a little medium bite). Hey, if RM works for you, I'm not going to argue! The point I'm trying to make is that given enough time, MM can work, but the adjustment period is often hard, especially when someone (like myself) has run RM for so long.
No doubt but MM on medium bite would be difficult for club racers like myself. I see no need to try it but hey you cant knock what works.

Now back on topic, Frank/Todd please let me know when I can stop by the TLR offices that are about 20 mins from my house to pick up my 22 2.0 or feel free to stop by the house to drop it off I grill some mean steak's and Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese topped with Jumbo shrimp and then wrapped with bacon.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blingy
can you adjust the battery a little more forward with the new battery strap system in rm mode? thnx
The "shorty" location is a bit further forward than it used to be, which allows for a little more adjustability. In the Full Forward "big pack" location, the battery placement is the same as the original 22.

Originally Posted by gee-dub
First, congrats to HH & TLR on the win. That is what, 3 of the last 5 now?

Re:

Was thinking the same thing. Given TT/AE is committing to importing the CML kit, while I would expect the choice ultimately to be up to each driver, I suspect there is some desire to win with the new product (i.e. CML MM).
Originally Posted by Dave H
3 of 4 I think. '10 Mike Truhe, '11 Dustin Evans, '13 Dakotah Phend!

Very interesting for sure for the MM/RM question. Which to be fair I think is a little older than 4 months.
Yes, 3 or 4, and with 3 different cars, XXX-CR, 22 and 22 2.0. We might have somethings figured out. It seems to be lost on a lot of people at the moment, but Dustin also finished 3rd at the Nats yesterday in 2wd running Mid Motor. I just goes to show that the changes in the front end of the 22 2.0 really are that good that we can compete at the highest level in either configuration.

Originally Posted by the big rc
So when can we except the car to hit the shelves?
Early-Mid September
Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Mid Motor vs. Rear Motor

*This is my personal opinion as a racer

I prefer Rear Motor. I think that it has an advantage on about 70% of US circuits, is a draw on 15%, and Mid Motor is better on 15%. I think the Rear Motor car is easier and more natural to drive, jumps and lands more controlled and consistent, and is always good and comfortable to drive even during the 15% of time when MM is actually quicker. I think you'll find that 90% of guys out there will turn their best 5:00 times in RM.

Mid Motor drives a lot different. It really does fit the driving style of some, and does tend to carry more mid corner speed. Managing that speed on exit is the key to success with MM. I have found that for my driving style, unless the grip is very higher, this is difficult for me to manage over 5 minutes. Many times I've race MM, I found the car to be very good, comparable or a slight advantage over RM on the layout or for the track conditions. As those particular days progressed, and the track conditions deteriorated, a RM setup became preferred, and it is very difficult to quickly go back and forth between configurations.

What I plan to do going forward, is to be sure that I have 2 complete 22 2.0's ready to go with full electronics at all times. This way, I can be ready to run Mid or Rear Motor given the current track conditions at any given time. I can practice both, see which I prefer for that event. This is similar to what Dakotah did at Nationals: have both cars ready, practice both, and select the car he thought was the most comfortable for that layout. If I was to only have 1 complete 22 2.0 ready to go, I would choose to build it RM, and I think that RM will be good all of the time, as opposed to MM being good on certain conditions.

Again, this is just my .02 as a racer.
Frank

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.