TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread >

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 2.0 Race Kit: 1/10 2WD Buggy thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjcoffroad
Many thanks to Ryan and Frank for helping me out this weekend! I picked up a 2.0 buggy and I cannot wait to get it all assembled!
Anytime man! always feel free to hit me up at the track or on here as well...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

So I am having issues securing my caps in the 22. I tried to servo tape them to the chassis, but after 4-5 packs they came loose, so i tried to secure then to the esc and that lasted 2 packs. I am about ready to take them to my shorty, lol. I have the SP 4 cap long bank of caps. I have never really worked with shoe goo, but I am thinking maybe shoe goo them to the chassis, but does the shoe goo peel off the chassis pretty good or is it a mess?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Shoe-Goo peels off fine. When I had my 22 I put the big novak cap through the rear tower so it rested on the trans case.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Prophet

yeah, when I ran a novak I did the same Matt, but this this is like 2 inches long. I just dont like using glues on my car that leave residue. If it comes of nicely, that will work. I think I will pick up some shoe goo tonight and try it out on a test chassis and cap. Thanks for the heads up Matt.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
So I am having issues securing my caps in the 22. I tried to servo tape them to the chassis, but after 4-5 packs they came loose, so i tried to secure then to the esc and that lasted 2 packs. I am about ready to take them to my shorty, lol. I have the SP 4 cap long bank of caps. I have never really worked with shoe goo, but I am thinking maybe shoe goo them to the chassis, but does the shoe goo peel off the chassis pretty good or is it a mess?
What servo tape you using?
I use this one and never have a problem with anything falling off!.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-...5#.UlLu9BCGfSY

I also clean the spot with denatured alcohol and then use a lighter to heat the tape surface for a few seconds
Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Shoe goo will work. It doesn't leave residue, but you do have to work a bit to get it off whatever it's stuck to. So if your caps are heatshrunk, make sure you don't attach it to something you need to remove it from frequently. Mine is attached to the ESC, I imagine it'll be there forever.

Before you go the shoe goo route, you can try to clean both surfaces with alcohol before appling servo tape.

I use both Parma servo tape and the 3M/Scotch outdoor mounting tape, and find the 3M works better for the slick/heat shrunk surfaces.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Carranza76

I also clean the spot with denatured alcohol and then use a lighter to heat the tape surface for a few seconds
Yeah, I used that tape first, then tried the clear version. I think the issue is the irregular shape of the caps and the lack of a good flat surface. I use that grey stuff on my transponder and switches and the clear on the receivers and esc's. Its good stuff. I am hoping the shoe goo comes off like the clear tape (parma/home depo) but fills the gaps for better contact. I normally use isopropyl to clean both surfaces. I have never had an issue keeps my caps secured before. The cap basically looks liek this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/images/m...6vspcap003.jpg
Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carranza76

Apparently you type faster than I do. HAHA.

3M tape is great, very cheap too!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I used that tape first, then tried the clear version. I think the issue is the irregular shape of the caps and the lack of a good flat surface. I use that grey stuff on my transponder and switches and the clear on the receivers and esc's. Its good stuff. I am hoping the shoe goo comes off like the clear tape (parma/home depo) but fills the gaps for better contact. I normally use isopropyl to clean both surfaces. I have never had an issue keeps my caps secured before. The cap basically looks liek this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/images/m...6vspcap003.jpg
The other thing you can do is put a thin layer of goo on the cap pack, let it dry, then apply the tape. Tape sticks to goo way better than the plastic film/heat shrink
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by goehm
Shoe goo will work. It doesn't leave residue, but you do have to work a bit to get it off whatever it's stuck to. So if your caps are heatshrunk, make sure you don't attach it to something you need to remove it from frequently. Mine is attached to the ESC, I imagine it'll be there forever.

Before you go the shoe goo route, you can try to clean both surfaces with alcohol before appling servo tape.

I use both Parma servo tape and the 3M/Scotch outdoor mounting tape, and find the 3M works better for the slick/heat shrunk surfaces.
ok, yeah I cleaned all surfaces up good and used the clear to mount it to the case of the esc. It "looks" secure, but if it comes off again, I will go the shoo goo route. I need to buy goo anyway to repair a body, so I will test it on some spare/broken parts I have laying around to see what I would be in for. Thanks again.

BTW, I picked up a second buggy. Looking forward to spending a lot of time with the 22 2.0. I like the car better than the 1.0.

Originally Posted by goehm
The other thing you can do is put a thin layer of goo on the cap pack, let it dry, then apply the tape. Tape sticks to goo way better than the plastic film/heat shrink
oh, I just saw you post this. I like this idea. it would give me a better surface contact, thank you. That never occured to me. And you are right, its the caps shink tube letting go of the tape, not the chassis or esc.

Last edited by Wildcat1971; 10-07-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Servo tape!? People still use that. A few dabs of tire glue for the switch, cap, receiver and transponder will do the trick. Still to this day haven't had one come loose. Even used it on the ESC on older card when it was mounted to the chassis. Comes right off when you need to remove it
Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Wink

Originally Posted by Graham11
How did u fit a standard size lipo w mid motor?
Using a Low-Profile Servo, and modified TLR4154 to Mount the ESC and RX on, ist really narrow, but it works fine... ;-)

Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason-149
Servo tape!? People still use that. A few dabs of tire glue for the switch, cap, receiver and transponder will do the trick. Still to this day haven't had one come loose. Even used it on the ESC on older card when it was mounted to the chassis. Comes right off when you need to remove it
I'm amazed you haven't had any issues using tire glue to bond plastic items like ESC's, receivers, etc. I've def had issues with CA glue "melting" plastics. Not to mention, when you take them off it must leave a mess on your electronics.

on another note...if you need to remove Shoo Goo from anything, try a product called Goo Gone. Works awesome on stuff like this.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason-149
Also be very careful. CA fumes can damage eletronics. Novak wrote an article about this a while ago. It looks like they include this statement in there ESC manuals as well.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone have pictures of antenna mods or ways of securing it? I would rather avoid having an antenna tub and another hole in the body.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.