WOW!And i'm selling my S3 for a Jammin Probally wrong oh well live and learn
Custom Works Rocket LateModel #37
Team Associated B5M BMod #37
Team Associated SC10.2 SC Modified #37
37 RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Another option is you get a k2 new for like 450.00 which is still extremely compeitive, I still run a k2 with a os vspec and a o.s. 2050 pipe
Old 06-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RACING
WOW!And i'm selling my S3 for a Jammin Probally wrong oh well live and learn
Your making a good choice. Jammin car is very good.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

If you are new to 1/8 go buy a Kyosho K2,K3, 777 SP1, or the Mugen MBX5. Run it for a year and learn about how to finish 1/8 heats and races. After this time you may be qualified to run one of these other buggies that requires you know the little trick we use to make 1/8 cars go fast and last. These are pretty much the only two cars that you can build per the instructions with a pro driver setup and be ready to win races. Everything else requires a lot of experimentation, good 1/8 setup knowledge, and experience that a new 1/8 driver simply does not have.

Engine wise get a P5, the new 3 port Nova engine, or an OS RG. Get an 086 pipe.

Run a good FM computer radio and Futaba s9350 servos on throttle and brake. I use to also recommend Airtronics servos but lately they have been having quality issues. You can run the 358/359 servos but you need to check the motor screws to make sure they have threadlock on them.

Mugen makes the best starter box and the Ofna stainless and blue box are next in line. Ofna, Mugen, and Thunder Tiger make the best air filters. Use Associated or Belray (try a dirt bike shop) filter oil.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc
If you are new to 1/8 go buy a Kyosho K2,K3, 777 SP1, or the Mugen MBX5. Run it for a year and learn about how to finish 1/8 heats and races. After this time you may be qualified to run one of these other buggies that requires you know the little trick we use to make 1/8 cars go fast and last. These are pretty much the only two cars that you can build per the instructions with a pro driver setup and be ready to win races. Everything else requires a lot of experimentation, good 1/8 setup knowledge, and experience that a new 1/8 driver simply does not have.

Engine wise get a P5, the new 3 port Nova engine, or an OS RG. Get an 086 pipe.

Run a good FM computer radio and Futaba s9350 servos on throttle and brake. I use to also recommend Airtronics servos but lately they have been having quality issues. You can run the 358/359 servos but you need to check the motor screws to make sure they have threadlock on them.

Mugen makes the best starter box and the Ofna stainless and blue box are next in line. Ofna, Mugen, and Thunder Tiger make the best air filters. Use Associated or Belray (try a dirt bike shop) filter oil.
I think this is the best 1/8 buggy advice Ive read. I wish I would have heard this when I started buggy. I havent been racing 1/8 long at all. But just picked one up to follow my buddys around with. Im a decent racer and usually qualify 2nd or third with my buggy. I have a HB and so did a good friend of mine. He was fast with it. Then bought a Mugen a week and half later. And gained a lap. I think the Kyosho and Mugen are just that much easier to drive fast. If your gonna do it, do it right.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 AM   #36
Tech Adept

I couldn't agree more. I started with a hyper 7 started to experiment and put a lot of money into it to make it more competitive with the mugens and k cars. Luckily I stopped and spent the money on a new mbx-5. what a difference in the 2 cars. I haven't touched the mugen except a couple of prospec parts. It just works from the box.
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #37
Tech Adept

if you r buying the S3 based on price then, you are not doing the right thing... the s3 DOES requirs hop ups to get it race ready. and yes parts are cheaper but parts also break more often.... i have never seen a mugen break diffs or cva's, the reason why mugen do so well in finals...
BigBadJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

Let me elaborate a little more using the Hyper 7 as an example. My second 1/8 car was a Hyper 7 Pro back in 2002. I ran an EB-4 for a couple of months before that. My Hyper was built according to the instructions and it felt decent on our local (relatively smooth) tracks. I went to the Kyosho race that summer and my Hyper was hurting on that rough track. I could get around but I was way off the pace. My Hyper was not right until a factory Ofna driver grabbed my car and went to work with a dremel on the chassis to get more downtravel. He then handed me new suspension arms and a front suspension block to use in the rear. He spent probably 30 minutes setting up the brakes with that ridiculous brake linkage they used (still do?) give out standard. After all this my Hyper was very good but the diffs still leaked and there were other little issues. If I had sucked it up and spent the $600 on a K1, I could have built it per the instructions and had it on the track running perfectly with no help from anyone.

Knowing what I know now after 3 years of racing 1/8, I could pick up a new Hyper kit and build it right and it would be perfect the first time it hit the track. So what I am saying is that the Hyper 7, Jammin X1, and Xray cars are all very good, but very few people will pull one out of the box and make it work right without a lot of help from an experienced 1/8 racer.

Now if you are not planning to race, go out and buy that Hyper 7 RTR. It is a tank and you will not be able to break it.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #39

You want race? MBX 5 P or MP 777 SP1.
You want to play? Hyper 7 PCR RTR.
xrcbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Go with the Kyosho!
This is probably the best chassis, ever in off-road!
It is fully hop-upped, and parts are easy to find.
Go for this car, and a nice engine, and there is no more excuse not to win!
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #41
sac
Tech Regular

Default Looking for a online shop?

Looking to buy a Thunder tiger S3 or Kyosho 777 try www.evolutionhobbies.com.and hit "MY STORE" for there online store.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:41 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No one recommended Xray XB8 here. I thought it is supposed to be one of the test. I saw on their web that there are many hopups for the xb8.
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ok, heres a good one...

What if you have raced On road electric in the 90's, Nitro stadium trucks in 2003 and sold it all out only to get a 1/8th scale buggy itch again in 2005?

Im one of those anal people that want to race and have one of the most technologically advanced,fastest, smoothest and largest tracks in the country (the farm2) close to my house but also want to run it as soon as it gets here both in the yard and at the track . I have a ton of driving exprerience, just not with an 1/8th scale. With that said, I want one of the good ones like a Pro-spec or SP1-2 but Would it be better or why should I by the Hyper 7 RTR to be able to RIp around the yard only to get smoked at the track.

$350 for a new hyper 7 RTR

$550 for a jammin on mbx5 Chassis only

Dang, this sucks, decisions, decisions
C_Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:32 PM   #44
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to venomousRC

I started racing with a GS storm RTR, old version. I ran it for a year and it was a pro by the time I got done. THis year I got the TTR S3. I really like the car, it handles great and really fits my driving style. There are many good buggies out there and if all you can afford is a $500 rtr then get it and run it. When you are done and ready to upgrade sell it to a guy that does not race 1/8th scale and let him love it just like you did. I sold my storm to a friend and now he loves 1/8th scale. He would have never spent the money for one of the high dollar cars because he did not even know if he was going to like it.

The S3 might need a couple of things, but if you want something that you can get parts for really cheap and a good strong running car, I think they are great. This year I am running the sportwerks pro .21. I couldn't buythe collarri this year. I also use the Jammin JP2 pipe. My car is just as fast as the guys with the 300 dollar engines, except on the straight away. This has made me a better driver on the infield since that is where I have to make my time count. I have been doing very well with my car and if I could qualify better I would not have to bump from the B main every week.
venomousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:48 AM   #45
Tech Elite

sorry guys.forgot to check this thread for a couple of days .what servos would u reccomend for whichever buggy i choose???would the ko propo 2363 and 2364 be a good choice????thanks.keep the suggestions coming
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote