Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy >

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

1 this does not replace the original spur, as it is the lid on the diff...but if it fails, then i drop the diff in the lathe, and cut the teeth away...but leaving the "wall"...using an AE spur with holes in it, gives me near perfect way of spacing out the holes needed to put screws into that "wall" ...i clean the casing and "wall" with motor spray, then smear the diff housing with shock/diff/cooking oil so the expoxy i put on the new spur doesnt glue it self to the housing but the diff lid (if it does you will need a new center diff, as it will be next to impossible to take apart again)...i use aluminum screws to put it together....the screws and epoxy have held up well on my own diff that stripped...and it was actually less loud than the stock

i dont mind making a few more gears...BUT two things has to happen...
1 i need to hang on to Dstreem,'s diff (his diff in the picture, i really dont want to pull my own diff out of the car)
2 Norcal hobbies has to have the 72T gears in stock

i will ask dstreelm, and im heading to the track anyway and will see what they got in stock....i might be able to use another 72T, but without the holes, it will make it a lot harder to line up 3-4 screws perfectly across from each other...it just happens that the AE gear with the holes are perfect for AE 4-40 aluminum screws

let me know if a gear without holes would be ok ?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What ever needs to be done...better then having a broken car
Old 07-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

They need to also make buying gaskets by themselves available.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

for the gasket....grap some construction paper of simelar size...cut it out like the original...wet with diff oil and close the diff, ....gasket paper can also be bought at autostores, but its just paper with wax on it...just like whats in the kit

spur gears....dstreelm..was ok with me hanging on to the diff, and norcal hobbies had two spurs...so i will cut them tonight....the gears where 6$ + tax...shipping is 2-3 stamps i guess...paypal me what you think is appropriate (remember to make it a family or friend transaction)

one gear pr person, 2 first pm gets a gear....you will still have to remove the teeth from the old spur, and keep the wall, so theres something to attach the new spur to...also you will need 4 screws as light as possible, and i used epoxy...but i will leave the mounting up to you.....when you mount the new spur it should slide on easily, with little friction...if theres friction it tends to tilt the teeth...so before mounting check that everything is squared off...some sandpaper can take a bit off if its too tight

to remove teeth of old spur , i suggest you put the spur gear in a drill, and then spin it on some coarse sandpaper until teeth is gone and your left with a "flat disk" sitting on the lid that you can mount the spur to.

assemble the diff, with oil and all....put some diff oil on the diff case....but not on the wall/disk, put a thin layer of mixed epoxy on the lip/wall and push the gear on ...when dry...drill 4 holes...they have to be small enough that the screws will cut their own threads.... i would use some ca glue on the screws as well...once in place, take a dremel and trim off protruding screws...if you dont they can catch on motor mount....

i make it sound complicated but it is really easy

heres a chart for drill sizes so you can pick the right drill for the screw of your choice (i used 4-40)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

here the solution to stripped spurs...we just need a gear thats 3 times the width LOL joke aside...i machined 2 gears....they might look a little crooked, but thats due to the tention of the friction fit...end user will have to sand so the VERY little friction, than it will be perfectly squared

here they are...waiting for a new home

for those who dont want to dig through a ton of posts heres how i did it on my diff

Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Can't they just make some freaking spur gears?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm stoked...starting to get parts!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I got my new kit built up over the weekend...The build went really smoothly with the exception of stripping out one of the screws that hold the wing mounts on, my fault I used an older driver tip...

Can't wait to try it out on wednesday for the club race at NorCal!

Full Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/CTtUK#Qznds03

Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The past weekend I ran my buggy for the first time. It is one awesome buggy which handles quite well out of the box. But I want to ask about the droop this buggy has. Has anyone put restrictors in the shocks or what are you doing to reduce the amount of droop as it seems a little too much?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sent a pm..hope it was in time...being my idea and all.. :-)

If not, catch me on the next one
Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dstreelm
I got my new kit built up over the weekend...The build went really smoothly with the exception of stripping out one of the screws that hold the wing mounts on, my fault I used an older driver tip...

Can't wait to try it out on wednesday for the club race at NorCal!

Full Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/CTtUK#Qznds03

DANG IT !!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY GUY ON THE PLANET TO DO THE 1966 FORD GT 40 THEAMED PAINT JOB ON OFF ROAD BUGGY !!! CRAP !!!

Buy the way, yours looks better. Where did you find the gulf decals ? I had to use an 8 sticker on my car where the "gulf" sponsor is suppose to be.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
I'm stoked...starting to get parts!

Where did u get parts from?
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

My carbon arm inserts have been on back order for 4 months...
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
DANG IT !!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY GUY ON THE PLANET TO DO THE 1966 FORD GT 40 THEAMED PAINT JOB ON OFF ROAD BUGGY !!! CRAP !!!

Buy the way, yours looks better. Where did you find the gulf decals ? I had to use an 8 sticker on my car where the "gulf" sponsor is suppose to be.

Thanks!

I've been making all my cars and trucks with classic liveries...heres my T4.2 done up in Martini: http://imgur.com/a/ofBFX

I Designed the decals myself in illustrator using a Gulf logo I found and printed them on my vinyl printer/plotter at work
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
Where did u get parts from?
Stormer had some stuff in stock...looks like tower has some stuff too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.