R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree45Likes

Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #9196
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glv08 View Post
Which tessman setup are people typically using? I tried the reedy 15 but the car was wayyy too twitchy. I was thinking about trying the reedy 14 setup as I've heard it's fairly calm and easy to drive but wanted to get some thoughts before I tore everything apart. Track is tight (12 second lap times), and is a bumpy medium to high bite clay.
Just my experience, just average joe. The older set ups are little ,very little bit calmer.i would think # 5 steering ack plate things and radio adjustments would help smooth out the car more than a different setup sheet.
nitro2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:44 AM   #9197
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just a quick question? I'm currently rebuilding my shocks with the vrp pistons and x-rings, do I use both washers on either side of the piston?

Thanks,
Iain
Schwarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #9198
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarta View Post
Just a quick question? I'm currently rebuilding my shocks with the vrp pistons and x-rings, do I use both washers on either side of the piston?

Thanks,
Iain
Yes use all of the stock hardware.
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #9199
Tech Adept

FYI....kyosho ball studs are same size as HB....in case your having trouble finding some
Cygnus X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #9200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've been running the original Reedy setup since September with couple minor tweaks. It flat out performs and easy to drive. Get the Traxxas Xrings for the shocks too, butter smooth

Last edited by snwchris; 05-20-2015 at 06:29 PM.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #9201
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have this past Reedy setup on my buggy for next week. Gonna take my talents to OCRC ;-)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #9202
Tech Apprentice

Default loose track setup

I searched a lot of setup sheets but have not found one for a very loose track. The track I run on is hard packed but usually dusty making it very difficult to get forward traction and keeping the car straight. It is like I am driving a 2 wheel drive car. I am currently running 15/100/5 diff fluids and pretty much the stock shorty setup. Any suggestions on how I can get the front of the car to work harder?
jjl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #9203
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl1 View Post
I searched a lot of setup sheets but have not found one for a very loose track. The track I run on is hard packed but usually dusty making it very difficult to get forward traction and keeping the car straight. It is like I am driving a 2 wheel drive car. I am currently running 15/100/5 diff fluids and pretty much the stock shorty setup. Any suggestions on how I can get the front of the car to work harder?
what shock oils? what tires?
mvrk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #9204
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here's the track I ran at last week for first time outdoors with the D413. My car has the original Reedy setup still on it, with HB Red springs front 40wt Losi and HB Gold springs rear with 35wt Losi, running 7-100-5 for the diffs. I also run the 2x1.6 pistons. So far for this track the car felt planted and really liked Impacts and Chainlinks for tires.

Watch "Shay's Rc Park practice session" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/fUn6Z9m9jOk

Last edited by snwchris; 05-21-2015 at 12:55 PM.
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #9205
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
the first thing is you have to have the right tire and break in method "ask the local fast people"

Next thing I would change is go to ty's gunsmoke setup

From there change the front upper link to the inside hole "long" and move the battery to the far back spot. other then that the car should be really close. also to thick of front diff can settle the car but also give you more on power steering which can be hard to drive on a loose track so maybe go to 10k. no front sway bar either and copper in the rear.
kevink123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #9206
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Lower your center diff to 60-80k oil.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #9207
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzracer758 View Post
Lower your center diff to 60-80k oil.
Wouldn't it be the opposite? You would want to lock up the center diff more so you'd want to go to a heavier oil? This would help keep the front wheels from unloading to easily and "diffing" out.

When the oil is too lite in the center diff the power gets transferred to the path of least resistance which is typically the front wheels under acceleration causing them to just spin. This sounds like you're making the front work more but what you're really doing is causing power to be transferred to where there is no traction.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #9208
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
Wouldn't it be the opposite? You would want to lock up the center diff more so you'd want to go to a heavier oil? This would help keep the front wheels from unloading to easily and "diffing" out.

When the oil is too lite in the center diff the power gets transferred to the path of least resistance which is typically the front wheels under acceleration causing them to just spin. This sounds like you're making the front work more but what you're really doing is causing power to be transferred to where there is no traction.
No...

The car will be harder to drive on a slippery track with thicker fluid.

Example:

Tessmann Worlds setup (Sugar Track/Super High Bite): 300k Center oil

Tessmann OCRC setup (Indoor clay Medium/High Bite) 100k Center Oil
Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #9209
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I have this past Reedy setup on my buggy for next week. Gonna take my talents to OCRC ;-)
You will have fun! the track layout is fast and flowing. The double in the middle is REALLY easy to overshot. You can whip it pretty good as the lip pops yea.

FYI I changed his 2015 Ready race set up just a tad for this layout.

2 mm of limiters in the rear shocks and 1 degree of anti squat to keep the back end from coming around off power on the sweeper/roller after the straight.

I use Gold Dirt Webs front and rear with AKA foams.

Thanks to:
Tekin - www.teamtekin.com
Thunder Designs - www.thunderdesigns.net
MasiisaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #9210
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
15/100/3.

I usually leave the F/R alone the go between 60-100-300 in the center. I have 100 most of the time but if the conditions are loose I go 60. If there's a huge quad I have trouble clearing then I go 300.
A rule of thumb I tend to follow is "the higher the traction the thicker the oil; the lower the traction the thinner the oil".