Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon
Since no one is answering the questions on how to use other brand shock pistons with this car, let me take a crack at it and have other correct.

The car has washers that go above and below the piston. So even if you use a TLR piston, for example, the larger hole will probably still not be larger than the washer.

So one would mount up the piston but not tighten down the screw completely. Then start building the shock. Once the piston is build, the you could tighten up the screw and the piston would be centered and thus work properly.

P.S. Ok, maybe I understand why no one replied. I really had to word that carefully without it making the whole explanation go in a different direction. Not perfect, but close.
You hit the nail on the head, that's how I built mine up with TLR pistons.

I placed the nut on loosely, ran the shaft up and down to center the piston then tightened down the nut a bit. Rinse and repeat until I had clean movement up and down all around shaft rotation. It hasn't moved yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Finally got my diff
Parts 2 days late thank you USPS. Need gearing for an 8.5.
I'm running a 22t on a Speed Passion 7.5 zero timing all the way around. Feels pretty good so far. 155 degrees on 12 to 15 minute runs.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
Above and beyond is the only way the folks at Tekin roll. THE BEST customer service in the biz. PIRIOD
+1 million AND it's a HB part! NOT a TEKIN part!!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

I'm running a 22t on a Speed Passion 7.5 zero timing all the way around. Feels pretty good so far. 155 degrees on 12 to 15 minute runs.
Thanks Matt.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by boudin4evr
+1 million AND it's a HB part! NOT a TEKIN part!!
I know ! Dude must be hookin you up with some personal stash.

Don't get me wrong. The Speed Passion in my car is performing well. If I wasn't tight on cash when I did this build, I would have had Tekin all the way. Just couldn't scrape enough together. Running Tekin in both my 8th scales and love um !

When I bought my 1st tekin set up for my 8IGHT-E 2.0, I really needed some help with understanding how to properly set it up. Jeremy (an AWESOME tech at Tekin) took a good 45 minutes with me on the phone and tutored me step by step through the entire esc linked with Hot Wire. What a huge help !!! His assistance went much farther than that because there's no telling how many fellow racers iv'e been able to pass the knowledge onto. I just can't speak well enough about what a great asset Tekin is to the R/C industry. And what a great program they have for our Military ! If I keep this up, I may be tempted to apply with them as a sales rep
Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon
Since no one is answering the questions on how to use other brand shock pistons with this car, let me take a crack at it and have other correct.

The car has washers that go above and below the piston. So even if you use a TLR piston, for example, the larger hole will probably still not be larger than the washer.

So one would mount up the piston but not tighten down the screw completely. Then start building the shock. Once the piston is build, the you could tighten up the screw and the piston would be centered and thus work properly.

P.S. Ok, maybe I understand why no one replied. I really had to word that carefully without it making the whole explanation go in a different direction. Not perfect, but close.

That makes sense. Thx!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

First club race on new tires. Got third against some insanely fast locals. Not having a slipper will take some getting used to. How do I adjust the diffs so it does not feel like the front is carrying most of the load of getting the car to move forward. Running tessmans setup from Reedy Race. Poor guy with a 22-4 broke it in two out of the three heats we had.... (Church giggles)
Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

if you feel like too much power is going to the front, you would go thicker in the center diff.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

for those that ran surf city classic dont forget to post your set ups . I know when I talked to JD Mora a few weeks back when he was practicing for it he ran a set up mirroring Tessmans Reedy set up. Curious to see if any others can share.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
if you feel like too much power is going to the front, you would go thicker in the center diff.
Would thickening up the rear help out?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer x 1
for those that ran surf city classic dont forget to post your set ups . I know when I talked to JD Mora a few weeks back when he was practicing for it he ran a set up mirroring Tessmans Reedy set up. Curious to see if any others can share.
Was supposed to run it, but a problem center diff and a usps screw up kept me from running there.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Would thickening up the rear help out?
Think of it like this.

Heavier center diff oil would be similar to tightening a slipper clutch. Putting more equal power front and rear.

Thinner center diff oil would be similar to loosening a slipper clutch. Putting more power to the front while on throttle.

The following does hold basic fact / truth, but ultimately comes down to the condition of the track surface and personal driving style.

Heavier rear diff oil may help give you more straight forward bite (as long as the center diff is supplying enough drive to the rear) , but the rear might want to lose traction while on throttle through a turn.

Lighter rear diff oil will provide better on throttle control in turns, and personally I've never really been in a situation where it hurt my speed on the straights.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've played with a few different combos on a dirt track outside..med to les then med bite.. 10/50/10 seems to work real well.. I also tried that on carpet and I liked it. Jumped nice and and panty of brk control
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Think of it like this.

Heavier center diff oil would be similar to tightening a slipper clutch. Putting more equal power front and rear.

Thinner center diff oil would be similar to loosening a slipper clutch. Putting more power to the front while on throttle.

The following does hold basic fact / truth, but ultimately comes down to the condition of the track surface and personal driving style.

Heavier rear diff oil may help give you more straight forward bite (as long as the center diff is supplying enough drive to the rear) , but the rear might want to lose traction while on throttle through a turn.

Lighter rear diff oil will provide better on throttle control in turns, and personally I've never really been in a situation where it hurt my speed on the straights.

Hope this is helpful.
Makes sense to me. Always wondered why we ran 10K up front and 3K rear with the slipper relatively tight, but not too tight as to strip the diff gears in an XB4. I'm almost positive now that I have slept on it that having new tires is always going to be a hindrance at first. It only was doing it in one section of the track which stays wet pretty much all day long while other parts dry up a little bit and have better grip.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Think of it like this.

Hope this is helpful.
Oh man dude you just stoked the crap out of me with this info I am getting the picture!!!!! one piece left what happens in the front by increasing, decreasing the weight oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.