R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nutfluff

That's some great racing software they got over there.
nutfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #32
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutfluff
That's some great racing software they got over there.
It's pretty good but there are better (IMHO)
Have a look here , go to the results link and 2005 championship andd have a look through the results. These show results, lap times, position per lap etc...
These pages are generated by the Race Software and we upload them after every meeting.
This software will be used at the Reedy European Race this weekend - look out for something special

A free version of the software is available at bbkRC
big_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I stand corrected. X Factory (X5), Kyosho (unnamed prototype). Losi (XX4), Yokomo (unnamed prototype), JConcepts (BJ4), and Durango. thanks for catching that. I still wish the 2wd had that kind of parity on the world level.
There may only be two competitive 2wd cars - but at least you can actually BUY them!

All the 4wd A-finalists are not available to the man on the street - they are all prototypes (Yokomo/Kyosho), limited production (Durango/X-5/BJ4) or discontinued (XX-4)!

For me, the 4wd class has become something of a joke. I know it is not popular numbers-wise, but if the manufacturers can't be bothered to use mass-production kits, maybe they shouldn't even bother competing?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
There may only be two competitive 2wd cars - but at least you can actually BUY them!

All the 4wd A-finalists are not available to the man on the street - they are all prototypes (Yokomo/Kyosho), limited production (Durango/X-5/BJ4) or discontinued (XX-4)!

For me, the 4wd class has become something of a joke. I know it is not popular numbers-wise, but if the manufacturers can't be bothered to use mass-production kits, maybe they shouldn't even bother competing?
Hi,

I totally agree with what you say!
You can't get the cars as raced in the 4wd final.
But, isn't this the same in all race classes?
Maybe the 2wd off-road competition is the only one where "normal production" cars are used!

You see in all major races, on and offroad that the top drivers all use prototype parts and kits, that mostly won't hit the streets

99% of the people that race, will race at club-level, so we don't need these parts. I don't need a new chassis every 2 months!
Go and buy yourself a good chassis, and race it. When you want to have all the parts used by the PRO-drivers, then you will get very frustrated!
These parts will never be available for us, so see the worlds and other big events as a race between manufacturers!
They want to show eachother their capabillity!
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:32 AM   #35
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Got to agree with some of the comments - but without Prototypes/specials being tested where would we get the new cars!
I can remember the B4 being a prototype at a Worlds competition.

Even limited production cars are available if you really want one. At a NE Regional event in the UK last week-end I saw 4 BJ4's

It's a bit like some forms of motor racing - you can not go out and buy MS Ferrari but if you look at otehr forms of motor sport - there have to be a certain volume of cars produced before they are allowed to race.
big_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ALL competition rc cars, be they 2wd or 4wd, start out as prototypes and are "race tested" until the manufacturer is ready to release them to the public.

If it wasn't done this way, then we'd end up with some fairly crappy cars on the hobby shop shelves because many prototypes aren't too good initially - it is only through race testing that they get to fix all the problems and find out in what area the car is lacking.

And if I remember rightly, Associated used special prototypes to win 2 2wd world champs (89 & 91) - and these cars never made it to production in any form
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
ALL competition rc cars, be they 2wd or 4wd, start out as prototypes and are "race tested" until the manufacturer is ready to release them to the public.

If it wasn't done this way, then we'd end up with some fairly crappy cars on the hobby shop shelves because many prototypes aren't too good initially - it is only through race testing that they get to fix all the problems and find out in what area the car is lacking.
I agree here.
Also consider the publicity generated as well. If a new car arrives on the market that hasn't appeared at any major race meetings , and one arrives from another manufacturer that has been attending meetings at a prototype level, which will sell better. Look at the XXX-4, not everyone likes it (I do ) but the interest level generated by Matt Francis TQ'ing the worlds a few years ago would be hard to match. How many kits were sold off that alone when it was released?
$0.05 (we don't have 2c peices )
Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #38
Tech Elite

I've got to disagree. The X - 5 is the Fastest Car That You Can Buy. Greg Hodapp's X - 5 was absolutely production, and we've got them on the shelf now waiting for your order. He did make some modifications to the car not shown in the instructions, and all of them are shown in the Tech section of our web site, www.4wdrc.com . His set-up sheet, and also Paul's, will be on the site soon.

Our car is very cost-effective. If you don't already have a xx-4 to convert, you can usually find them on eBay for $100 or less, making the total price around $320 -- much less than a xxx-4 or a BJ.

And we expect to announce an X - 5 Conversion Kit for the xxx-4 shortly.

Yes, the World's Warm-Up was won by the Durango, a car you can not buy. And second place was a xx-4, a car you can't buy new any more. But the X - 5 is available to anyone, as is the BJ 4X4, which finished 8th and 9th. They are both very fast.
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote