Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
LOOKING TO GET BACK INTO 4WD SC >

LOOKING TO GET BACK INTO 4WD SC

LOOKING TO GET BACK INTO 4WD SC

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am going to check, it might be the 1.0 kit, I will have to see when I go there tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem View Post
I think most people know its the racers that make the difference not the truck

WOW ! If you can get it for that price I would buy a couple at least !

BTW I would go with the Tekno , the Losi IS an awesome truck but like RC*PHREAK said it will develop slop in the chassis very quickly and you will be replacing the hollow balls every few racedays to keep it tight . Been there done that and at 25 bucks a set that can get really expensive quickly . Keeping the stock hollow balls isnt really an option either as they wear twice as fast as the hard anodized ones do . IMO its the one area Losi still needs to focus on and just make a steel set that will last longer , the few grams saved buy using aluminum isnt worth the speed that they wear .
listen you don't have to replace those balls ends on the losi every few race days... you are hitting every pipe and other truck on the track for that to be even close to true. That's just a flat out crazy statement. It takes a few race days to even break the truck in to be at it's fastest. Slop=fast w/ the losi.. you don't replace the ends until they want to slide off the balls which is many many many many race weeks.. for most people they will get a full race season, some heavy racers maybe 1/2 a season. If you are replacing these parts at first sign of a little slop then you've never had that truck at it's best

Just to throw another brand out there, I ran the scte for years and I Gotta say love my Durango desc410 that I started racing a few months ago; needs a few quick mods but once done it will keep up with and capable of beating any of these trucks.. large 1/8 format or small indoor format national or club level. Awesome prices on tower, with coupon; snag front rpm arms, a weight kit some exotek parts and you got a durable fast racer for sure. My desc410 currently holds the fastest qualifying time of any brand sc4x4 on our current layout.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just ran my TLR 2.0 for the first time last night. Felt very good right out of the box.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It is the arte scte for 249$ not the 2.0
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

I can't say the same for the losi since I do not have one and I'm not on their thread but on the tekno sct410 thread the guys who designd the truck and own the company frequent the thread and help out with what ever they can and address problems with the truck which is cool.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
There are two trucks out there right now that are both worthwhile...the Tekno and the TLR. I work for TLR so some would consider me a bit biased but in my honest opinion, the TLR is a better value. Both are very durable, both will run for ages with little upkeep. The TLR actually ends up costing less. The Tekno needs the alum hexes and it also needs a body and wheels. For what you can find the SCTE 2.0 at, you are already ahead of the game there.

The SCTE 2.0 has also won most of the large events going on such as the Cactus and the HRH shootout. Races Tekno wont even show up to at this point. I am not trying to talk bad about anything, just pointing out what is true. Both are great trucks, parts support is something to think about and for that you want to check your local track and/or hobby shop.

For either, you will get great support I think. The Tekno guys are great and we try to be great as well.
Do national races really matter? Those guys could be fast with a traxxas. The race results you need to be looking at are local and club. Pointing out national championships seems like a pretty hollow reason. Also, once you factor in cost fo the tekno and the scte 2.0, they end up at pretty much the same price.

Think about it:

$400~Tekno: wheel hexes: $20, aluminum servo horn $10, wheels $15, body $30

Grand total= $475 ($425 if you use tower's discount codes)

Scte 2.0~$470
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

[QUOTE=BashemSmashem;12385023]I think most people know its the racers that make the difference not the truck

It all about the competition for me. The truck has to perform at a would class level just like the racers. I would like to see tessman with a tekno up against everyone and see what happens. That's just me.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
My local hobby shop has the new SCTE 2.0 at 249.99 I feel that is a steal, and am thinking about picking it up.
Nvm haha I knew something wasn't right
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 174 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
listen you don't have to replace those balls ends on the losi every few race days... you are hitting every pipe and other truck on the track for that to be even close to true. That's just a flat out crazy statement. It takes a few race days to even break the truck in to be at it's fastest. Slop=fast w/ the losi.. you don't replace the ends until they want to slide off the balls which is many many many many race weeks.. for most people they will get a full race season, some heavy racers maybe 1/2 a season. If you are replacing these parts at first sign of a little slop then you've never had that truck at it's best

Just to throw another brand out there, I ran the scte for years and I Gotta say love my Durango desc410 that I started racing a few months ago; needs a few quick mods but once done it will keep up with and capable of beating any of these trucks.. large 1/8 format or small indoor format national or club level. Awesome prices on tower, with coupon; snag front rpm arms, a weight kit some exotek parts and you got a durable fast racer for sure. My desc410 currently holds the fastest qualifying time of any brand sc4x4 on our current layout.
Yeah I remember you and Phreak from the original SCTE 1.0 thread. Like you guys I picked up the SCTE when it was launched. Went through the growing pains with the first gen truck. Seems like Losi learned alot from the first truck and translated it into a much better platform.

The Tekno seems like a great truck as well. Not to many issues in the thread. Seems to be made well and like it was stated the materials don't get sloppy as quickly as the Losi. However like 8ight-e says the slop in the Losi really lets the full potential of the Losi shine. Never thought the slop issue was something to worry to much about. I seem to like the feel with some "slop" rather than being "tight" and twitchy.

Now with both these trucks I don't think I could go wrong either way as most have stated. Surely these were the two SC's I figured as top choices. My only other consideration was the DESC410. One of the main reasons being I run the DEX210 buggy's in 2wd and love them. So Im really familiar with the Durango platform. Also there are a lot of interchangeables between the buggy and the SC.

So I'm torn basically between these 3. I would really appreciate some more input on the DESC410 from 8ight-e or anyone else with the Durango. Thanks to everyone that has responded thus far and thanks in advance for your continued input.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Both trucks are great and you can't go wrong with either one. I went with Losi because I have been pretty happy with the brand and parts support is great in my area.

The TLR "slop" issue is just totally overblown by some. I don't know anyone who is changing their hollow balls every other race day. If they are, they might just be suffering from obsessive/compulsive disorder.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I guess you guys dont run in loose dirt or something cause the hollow balls in my kit wore out super quickly , maybe 5-6 (not counting practice days) races before I felt they were too sloppy . Maybe its just me but I dont like my camber , toe etc. changing the whole time the truck is running ........
Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brushless420 View Post
Yeah I remember you and Phreak from the original SCTE 1.0 thread. Like you guys I picked up the SCTE when it was launched. Went through the growing pains with the first gen truck. Seems like Losi learned alot from the first truck and translated it into a much better platform.

The Tekno seems like a great truck as well. Not to many issues in the thread. Seems to be made well and like it was stated the materials don't get sloppy as quickly as the Losi. However like 8ight-e says the slop in the Losi really lets the full potential of the Losi shine. Never thought the slop issue was something to worry to much about. I seem to like the feel with some "slop" rather than being "tight" and twitchy.

Now with both these trucks I don't think I could go wrong either way as most have stated. Surely these were the two SC's I figured as top choices. My only other consideration was the DESC410. One of the main reasons being I run the DEX210 buggy's in 2wd and love them. So Im really familiar with the Durango platform. Also there are a lot of interchangeables between the buggy and the SC.

So I'm torn basically between these 3. I would really appreciate some more input on the DESC410 from 8ight-e or anyone else with the Durango. Thanks to everyone that has responded thus far and thanks in advance for your continued input.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 174 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
LOL! Yeah that was some good stuff.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem View Post
I guess you guys dont run in loose dirt or something cause the hollow balls in my kit wore out super quickly , maybe 5-6 (not counting practice days) races before I felt they were too sloppy . Maybe its just me but I dont like my camber , toe etc. changing the whole time the truck is running ........
+1
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hahah, slop is good, yeah right........ I'm sure when tessman and Mayfield are setting up there cars they wait until their cars are sloppy to put down the serious rubber

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service