R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Thinking about 1/8 scale buggy, few questions

Hello,

I am thinking of trying 1/8 scale buggy in the future. Right now I would want something that will be used mostly for racing, but with some bashing on the side.

I don't want anything in a "Pro" form, not trying to spend alot here. Just something reliable, takes a beating, and doesnt' embarrass itself on the track.

Right now I am looking at the following buggies or buggy types:

1. Ofna Hyper Series, in particular the PCR
2. Ofna Jammin X
3. Sportworks Mayhem

I am leaning more towards the Ofna series, in particular the PCR that comes with a .21 Hyper engine in it already and a starter box to be legal for racing.

How is the performance between the buggies I listed and against higher $$$ buggies?

How much better is the C-Hub suspension I saw on the Jammin versus the pivot ball on the PCR?

The Sportworks looked alittle clunky, does it perform and is it durable?

If I go with a vehicle with no engine, what engine currently offers good bang for the buck, is realtively inexpensive compared to really high end engines, and holds a tune well and is reliable?

Of these buggies, which has kit tires that are actually usable?

I think that about wraps it up. I probably will have more questions to jot down the answers for after this. Thanks for any help beforehand.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im rather new to 1/8th scale but I read a lot. From what Ive read, C-hub suspension is supposed to give more steering compared to pivot ball. I think that the hyper 7 and the Jammin would give any buggy on the market a run for their money (kyosho, and mugen included). And as far as engines, without spending a fortune, you can get some of the cheaper O.S.'s and the Collari B3's for a little under 200 dollars. And tires, I think that the Jammins are decent. But most likely for all three you would need a new set of tires. Which are a little pricy, but they last a very long time...or at least from what Ive seen at my local track. I bought a Hot Bodies Lightning 2, and love it. But good luck with your decision and have fun!
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Look into the hyper 7 pro kit or the PCR edition. PCR comes with both chub and PBS.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the PCR came with both pivot ball and C-hub option.

So between the Jammin and the PCR Hyper, which handles the best and which is more durable?

for some reason I like the looks of the Jammin, but for me I would probably get the RTR to keep costs down ( have the electronics already ) , but the engine on the RTR is a .26 and wouldn't be race legal.

Is the Hyper 21 engine any good?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Cain,

If your looking for a racer go with the Jammin RTR. I have a Pro w/ a modded RB S5, JP-1 pipe and mugen carbon clutch w/ 1.1mm springs and it is a monster on the track. It handles awsome and is very durable. PM me if you have any questions. The Hyper is a great buggy also but I prefer the X1 over it.
tazz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've heard the hyper motors are hard to tune. But don't know for a fact. My buddy has one in his hyper but hasn't run it enough to know. The os.21rg is a good motor and $109 at tower. Can't beat that for sure. I'm running a duratrax torq .21 and am really impressed with it. But it needs a new head as the stock one lets it get to hot.

The hyper motors you can buy and get parts for super cheap off ebay. You can get tons of parts for the hyper 7 off the bay also. Just to let ya know.
jbrow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know of a place online to order these from that has great prices and great customer service?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Cain,

www.Nitrohouse.com

They are great to deal with and have all the ofna parts you can ever want in stock.
tazz888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

www.nitroreview.com is a good place to get reviews for every single nitro car, buggy, truck etc and even engines.

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Jamm'n

Cain, I am also a fellow 4wheeler, gone 1/8th scale. I loved 4 wheel electric, but the durability issues was what kept the class from growing. I bought the jammin x1cr rtr about 2 months ago and I have to say it is the best buy for someone new to 1/8th scale especially since you have the electronics.

I agree that the only issue is that the motor does suck. a good .21 is better than the force .26 that comes with it. It's actually a disadvantage to have the .26, and most club racers don't care if I run with them. but I already have a motor on order.

Trust me, the time lost from lack of speed is made up by it's superior handling.
I even bought all the hop ups that make it the pro version with exception of the front steering hubs. Din Ball is cheap, but takes about7-9 days to get shipped from japan. good for parts, but I wouldn't order a car kit from them

My friend bought the PCR, and it comes with a hyper.21 which is pretty strong for a rtr kit. But my jammin was able to out perform his car, especially on rough sections of the track. It was great at the tight winding sections, but as soon as I got to the straight away, that's where I lost most of my lead.

And as for tires being expensive. go to A-Main hobbies and order some TREADZ Grip 16.99 for premounted tires with molded inserts, medium or soft compunds. After shipping I paid abot 40.00 dollars for 4 premounted tires when usually i'd spend 60.00. Plus these tires hold true to their name, they dig in to wet dirt just as well as dry.