R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Thoughts about the Reedy Quasar Charger (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/7443-thoughts-about-reedy-quasar-charger.html)

B3boy 08-20-2002 07:12 PM

Thoughts about the Reedy Quasar Charger

First i just want to say happy birthday to myself and to R/C Tech, my favorite r/c website. Exactly one year ago, on August 20, i found out r/c touring went down so i talkey to TSR6 and he told me about R/C Tech. So i registered one day after the start of r/c tech on my birthday. I just thought that was cool.

Now, to get to the subject, i am going to need to buy a new charger since my old super brain is a piece of crap. I am looking to spend about $130. I was looking at the Reedy Quasar and it looked like a decent charger for the money. I want to make sure it can charge NIMH reciever battery packs. I read in RCCA that it has a fixed voltage threshold of 8v. I don't know if that would be low enough. The paper that came with the trinity rx pack i bought said the negative delta peak needs to be seet to 0.02v I have no idea what that means so please help me out.

Also, if there are any other good charger that are AC/DC and can charge nicd and nimh with adjustable amperage and voltage, i would just like to know what they are. And if anybody has a Reedy Quasar, please tell me how you like it.

Thanks
Jake :tire: ;)

B3boy 08-22-2002 09:56 AM

I have been searching around for more chargers and I found a few more that i want to consider.

Right now, it looks like the Novak Ionic AC/DC charger is on the top of my list cause it is cheap and the RCCA review of it sounded great. The only thing is that it does not have a discharger :flaming:

Two other chargers that sounded like they could be a good choice are the LRP Pulsar and the Pirahna Digital Peak.

Out of the four chargers:
-Novak Ionic
-Reedy Quasar
-LRP Pulsar
-Pirahna Digital Peak

Which one do u think is the best buy?

thanks
jake:nod: :tire:

JohnB 08-24-2002 06:07 AM

My son and I have both Quazar chargers. They work great. For just charging they both work about the same, for NiMh and NiCad. I've never had any problems with either one.
The Quazar Pro is nice for discharging and cycling. It took a few weeks to get use to the menu. Once you enter the menu you must go through the whole thing. But I'm use to it now and it just takes a few seconds.
The Quazar charges just as good as the Pro. If we ever need another one I will just buy the Quazar. I don't see the need for another Pro.
For the price of the AC/DC chargers I haven't seen a better one out there.
John

B3boy 08-26-2002 12:48 PM

Hey, thanks JohnB

It sounds like the quasar will be a good buy for me.

I was wondering one more thing, i want to charge reciever packs and micro rs4 packs and wanted to know what attatchments i would need to buy so i can hook up the connectors.

thanks

JohnB 08-26-2002 03:12 PM

I haven't used either one for charging reciever packs. But I have watched a friend at the track charge his transmisser pack with a Quazar Pro. He just takes the pack out of his radio and hooks it up with the aligator clips that come with the charger. Looks pretty simple.
Not sure about the micro packs. I would think they would be like the transmitter packs, maybe????? The regular quazar will charge my 4 cell lathe pack great, but not a little 3 cell pack I use for breaking in motor. The Pro will do both with no problem.

Hope that helps.

take care
john

TSR6 08-26-2002 04:22 PM

For charging TX and RX packs, i just bought a female battery/servo connector with bare leads, and connect to the leads via aligator clips. You should be able to get them at any good LHS.

-Troy

wyd 08-26-2002 08:12 PM

I just got a new LRP Pulsar and it is a very nice charger. Does alot for the money. It can charge, discharge, run motors, and cycle packs. Adjustable peak detection and charge amps. It is a nice little charger and is not any bigger than a Millenium or Pit Bull.

rc-zombies 08-26-2002 11:05 PM

Get the Integy 16x7. almost identical to the Quasar Pro... same maker. has 20amp discharge and more importantly 5year warrantee... :nod:

myclod 08-27-2002 11:03 AM

also i think the Integy is less money

rc-zombies 08-27-2002 11:08 AM

Originally posted by myclod
also i think the Integy is less money
alot less expensive.. $149.00 on ebay. about $159 from Stormer or SpeedTech, Quasar Pro goes for over $180.00, $199 from Tower.

B3boy 09-02-2002 10:19 AM

so it looks like u guys like the quasar better. I think i will get the regular one though just cause i need to save money. Also, i haven't seen the integy anywhere? where are the cheapest places i can buy each of them?

thianks

rc-zombies 09-03-2002 08:00 AM

Originally posted by B3boy
so it looks like u guys like the quasar better. I think i will get the regular one though just cause i need to save money. Also, i haven't seen the integy anywhere? where are the cheapest places i can buy each of them?

thianks

get the Integy 16x7 which has the same features as the Quasar Pro. only $149.00 on ebay. $159.00 from Speedtech.

tsunami 09-05-2002 01:59 AM

What do you guys think about the Tekin BC112C? Someone is selling me a used one. Does anyone have experience with this charger?

rc-zombies 09-05-2002 08:57 AM

Originally posted by tsunami
What do you guys think about the Tekin BC112C? Someone is selling me a used one. Does anyone have experience with this charger?
Tekin are good chargers...but they are out of business. If you buy used buy a newer model one that is capable of charging today's newer cells...

B3boy 09-25-2002 06:51 PM

I just took a look at the Integy 16x7 and it looks like a really nice charger for the money. I am pretty sure that is what i want to get.

I have a science project coming up and i am doing the effect of gear ratios on speed and acceleration. The only batteries i have are 3 1500s which are old and crappy. I was looking for some new ones to get and i definitely want an upgrade, but not something that cost more than 35$ a pack.

I saw some reedy zip packs wich are 2500mah for only $30 a pack. Seems like a good deal to me.

I also wanted to get a couple of packs for my micro rs4. The team orion ones looked good as well as the trinitys and hot bodies.

I also need a new motor. I have the P2K, it is a good motor so i think i will get the P2K2.

If u think I should get something better, please tell me cause i want some advice

Thanks,
Jake