Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Short Course Buggy class growing or dead? >

Short Course Buggy class growing or dead?

Short Course Buggy class growing or dead?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Short Course Buggy class growing or dead?

I'm somewhat interested in the SC10B (or possibly converting my SC10 to one) but I haven't seen anyone running a short course buggy at my local track yet. 2WD SCT class seems to remain strong and popular here, though there are some advantages for both classes (no parachuting with SCB; more protection with SCT).

Are these short course buggies simply a passing fad (will the SC10B be discontinued like the Losi SCB?), or are they growing in popularity at your tracks?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

At my track most people race 1/8 buggy. I like any RC so I got a Kyosho Ultima DB that I can convert into an SCT if needed but I have a Blitz and Slash so no need for a third SCT. Anyway it looks like people just don't embrace the DB/SCB class as they do the SCT. I run mine with the SCT's now and then but its just boring running with trucks since the SCB's are much faster and more agile. I would prefer if there was an SCB class I peaked interest of a few guys at the track but they just wanna run 1/8 not the 2wd SCB's. I think that this class will only pick up favor in pockets what I mean is that it might be popular here and there but will never be as popular as the SCT's.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

GROWING!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The class is growing, more people just need to purchase them.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
I'd love for spec scb to pick up @ my track, but it hasn't
3 replies in 10 hours should tell you something
Hopefully a bunch of people in my area will now jump on here & prove me wrong
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It almost took off at my local with a few people buying them and a few more saying they were going to, then all of a sudden nothing. Those that had them sold them, save for one and the rest never picked them up. Happened over the course of maybe 4-5 weeks all up.

One bloke still has an AE and a returned member has a Losi... Me, I'd love to get one, but my current financial situation doesn't allow me to be the egg that comes before the chicken, unfortunately.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

When the axial exo first came out we ran a full class of those for a few weeks. Never had a 2wd scb class.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Initiate

DEAD AROUND HERE .... best looking most realistic no question. If it was bigger I would race one! They don't even have enough to have their own class around here.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Never caught on around here. Its cool but I honestly hope it doesn't catch on here. We have enough classes as it is to fill up race day. 2WD 17.5 buggy, 2WD mod buggy, 4WD mod buggy, 4x4 SCT, 17.5 2WD SCT, 2WD SCT mod, 2WD stadium truck, etc.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It was growing, but only AE offers one now. Both Losi and Kyosho have discontinued theirs.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Interesting....

The first conclusion that you can draw from all of this is that the popularity of the class depends a LOT on where you are....

It never went anywhere in the Kansas City metro area for several reasons; one of which is that there are a LOT of people like me that have them but never made it to the track with them....

In the Omaha, NE area they are very popular and raced on a weekly basis (Tuesday night short course and other off road racing nights).... Those guys evolved into a spec motor/speed control/gear ratio (in addition to allowing the stock motors/speed controls/tires) which really leveled out the playing field. In addition to being a fun class to race it's one that is supported by the hobby shop/track and several of the 'fast guys' who enjoy the realism of the class in addition to the close competition. It's a class that you can depend on there being enough participation to be fun in this area.

Losi buggies are not hard to find; they are still very available (both at the distributor level I am told) and I'm sure that the shops in the areas where they are popular stock them. Parts (for the most part) are XXX so that is not a problem for the present and probably never will be due to the popularity of that platform.

If YOU think they are cool and fun to race; share the word with others! Let them drive yours and remember that they are probably the least expensive class to get started in and will only be as expensive as you allow them to be! They are a standard class in Scotty Ernst's Short Course Showdown series and always well populated at those events.

What's not to love about them???
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

it's growing around here. like someone stated before, it just sucks that kyosho and losi discontinued theirs. if everyone would have released them around the same time, i think it would be a more popular class.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Dead around my track. Thank goodness, too. We were able to bring Stadium Truck back this year despite all the talk in the off season about starting a SCB class.

I hope AE pulls the car and the class dies. Stadium Trucks are a much better middle ground between short course and mod buggy. ST has also been growing this past year as well, and I think you'll see that come back in full force soon enough.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Our track let anyone that had one race for free one week and one guy showed so we just had him race with the buggies. If you can't even give it away, they may be a problem. I also agree that there are enough classes as it is. Some things are just meant to die. They are neat bashers with their ability to keep dirt out.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Tech Initiate

every track i have been to there are just a couple of die hard guys really pushing them but so far i have never seen them have their own class on race day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.