Wiki Posts
Search

Viper VST sensor wire keeper

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Viper VST sensor wire keeper

Hey guys,
I just wanted to share this with you. I know some people a worried about running a sensor only ESC because they fear their cable may fall out during a race. This unit is designed to hold the plug in your motor using the existing threaded holes in the sensor unit.
http://heliflightcenter.blogspot.com/
Attached Thumbnails Viper VST sensor wire keeper-img_20130629_150548_398.jpg   Viper VST sensor wire keeper-img_20130629_150402_473.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

nice unit. I guess I am curious when running a sensored only ESC, if the plug gets separated from the motor at all via damage, wire falling out, etc. what exactly happens to the ESC and motor?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
nice unit. I guess I am curious when running a sensored only ESC, if the plug gets separated from the motor at all via damage, wire falling out, etc. what exactly happens to the ESC and motor?
usually shuts down and won't move in a full sensored system.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Cain,
The Viper system is a sensor only system, if the sensor wire fails, the motor will not be able to detect the rotor position and the system will stop. It's the same if any other wire fails on any system. The Viper sensor wire socket is very good, I can't see the plug just falling out. But if you tangle with another car it could get snagged. It's just more secure with the lockdown plate installed. I wouldn't want people to pass up the Viper units just because they fear a sensor wire may fall out
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Legend

no worries, I have considered the system myself especially with the warranty period they offer (1 year on the ESC). Just wanted to know if there was any form of damage done to the units if that gets disconnected.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This is a really cool little product they developed. We generally don't see very many times that the sensor cable is pulled out from the motor or speed control - but what is that old saying ''an ounce of prevention...."

BTW, we test fit one the new development VF8 1/8 motors and it fit as well, so it should fit the VF4 motors as well -- when they are released.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Does this only fit Viper motors?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks nikos2002,
I agree, I don't think the sensor wire is likely to fall out under normal use.

durangoman,
These are setup for the Viper motors only. It would only be by chance that it will fit another companies motor. Not too likely though. I will be designing these for other motors as they become available to me. What motor do you have?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cain
Thanks Cain, I must have missed that

Here is a link to the site for anyone interested http://www.heliflightcenter.com/XSS1..._p/xss1001.htm
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
Let me get this straight, if the sensor wire falls out while running with a viper esc the motor stops? The ESC doesnt fall back on a sensorless mode & continue to run, just with none of the boost set for sensored mode?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Correct, our sensored only speed controls are designed around using the sensor to help control proper operation of the motor. It allows us to have very detailed settings and make throttle response smooth and accurate to your inputs.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

All u would have to do is get a thin piece of plastic and screw it to the back of your particular motor brand to get the holes in line, then just cut it to fit over your sensor plug.....I have a hacker sensored and the wire is built into it so I don't have a risk of unplugging, but for those that do it's worth looking int, altho I will say I have never seen it happen to anyone in any of all the races I have been to!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Tech Legend

it was the one thing that stopped me initially from getting a VTX8 as I wanted to run a sensorless motor with it in a MT.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

This is a cool little item -- but I will say again.

We don't see sensor wires come out of our units -- unless something happen to cause a problem - a crash, a turn marshal grabbing the wire. Same things that can happen with other popular brands like LRP, Orion, HW/SP.

As a point of reference, I used to run for another electronics mfg, I would go over a jump and have a sensor wire fall out -- so when I started with Viper, we made sure it was addressed.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks again nikos
I just want to make it perfectly clear, I did not design this product because I think the sensor wire will fall out of the Viper system, nor do I think it is a weak part of the system. Viper makes a very good product, and I will be using them because they are well built. I designed this unit because I've read posts on this forum complaining about the worries of a sensored only system failing because a sensor wire will just fall out.BS.And also, I run 2WD buggies (rear motor) and I can see that it would be easy for the guy behind you to poke his wheel between the motor and wheel and snag the sensor wire. That is all. My hopes were that if someone was on the fence about running a Viper system that this little unit would give them some confidence to pull the trigger. I for one would never run a sensorless system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.