Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is stadium truck dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Is stadium truck dead?

I used to race stadium truck and 2wd buggy back when BL lipo was kicking off and would like to start racing RC again, been out of it for a while. I really like short course but I'm wondering if it has killed ST off? I heard that Losi discontinued the 22T which is not a good sign for ST.

I could make the switch to 100% short course and have fun but part of me would feel like I'm betraying my roots.

So what is the current state of stadium truck? Is it just localized depending on where you are or is it dead everywhere?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

It is one of the main classes out here in CA, especially stock truck. Don't know where you heard that TLR discontinued the 22T...It just might not be a big class locally to you.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

SC really hurt the other 2WD classes. 2WD Buggy is def more popular while still being hit or miss depending on local scene and style of track. Stadium Truck is even worse off than Buggy which is a shame because it was my favorite class as a kid a few years ago. A small indoor track opened up near me and everyone is talking 2WD Buggy nobody even considered getting a ST to run.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

nope. its making a come back in a lots of area. IMO short course almost killed clean racing. and im for one glad its coming back.

only thing i wish is someone made a medium square pin outdoor tire for the 2.2 truck.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Nope not at my indoor carpet track in PA open ST is growing every weekend theres at least 6 of them sometimes 4. 2WD buggy has enough for a class every weekend also. At the outdoor tracks here theres one track that has 2wd ST on a big track.

I ran ST a long time ago outdoors with a upgraded Losi XXX-T in a mod class and loved driving them.

I just bought a T4.1 Factory.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

So Losi didn't discontinue the 22t? That's great if true. I heard a friend say that they did.

A couple thing I've noticed. There used to be a ton of ST tires to choose from in my day and there aren't anymore.

The worst thing I've noticed is, while practicing at my track the other day with my old T4 I was the only ST I saw the whole day. A couple of newb racers asked me "is that a Rustler?". They had never seen a real ST before.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by scoob
So Losi didn't discontinue the 22t? That's great if true. I heard a friend say that they did.

A couple thing I've noticed. There used to be a ton of ST tires to choose from in my day and there aren't anymore.

The worst thing I've noticed is, while practicing at my track the other day with my old T4 I was the only ST I saw the whole day. A couple of newb racers asked me "is that a Rustler?". They had never seen a real ST before.

I dont think they discontinue making the 22t doesnt make sense if they did inless they are coming out with a new model.
As for tires tire selection seems good still to me.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trick25
IMO short course almost killed clean racing.
Nothing more fun than some bumper to bumper mayhem. If I wanted 'clean racing' I'd just race against the clock on my own. Remotes have lap counters in them now.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chamelion
Nothing more fun than some bumper to bumper mayhem. If I wanted 'clean racing' I'd just race against the clock on my own. Remotes have lap counters in them now.
i agree and disagree. i love close racing. nothing more fun. but doing ti cleanly without running and bumping everyone is more challenging. i always get a big grin on my face when you have 3 or four open wheel cars going through turn after turn and not touching each other passing each other back and forth.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Legend

Quit Stadiums many years ago , SC is way more fun & exciting ...

Long Live the Short Course ....
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trick25
i agree and disagree. i love close racing. nothing more fun. but doing ti cleanly without running and bumping everyone is more challenging. i always get a big grin on my face when you have 3 or four open wheel cars going through turn after turn and not touching each other passing each other back and forth.
I guess I've never been in that sort of a race.. I've only been in the hobby 6 months. I do, in all honesty, enjoy when I get out in front and put out clean fast lap after clean last lap. I also enjoy the challenge of keeping it together when everyone else seems intent on knocking you onto your roof.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Different strokes for different folks. I have run them all and had fun with each class. Traxxas Slash brought a lot of life back to off road. The racing is the same style as the big trucks in TORQ. The size of SC almost guarantees that some contact will be made.

Around here buggy is popular, SC is big (both stock and open), with smaller numbers of 4 wh drives and stadium trucks and some 1/8 electric buggies. There are five tracks within a hour and half of me and each has its own type of classes based on the drivers and what they want to run. Some can't run nitro due to locations or noise ordinances.

Proline and J Concepts have a huge variety of stadium truck tires in differnt patterns and rubber types as well as different inserts. You should be able to find anything from large pin to mini pin in super soft to hard compound.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Quit Stadiums many years ago , SC is way more fun & exciting ...

Long Live the Short Course ....
At my track ST is dead people only run SC 2wd and 4wd, 1/8 truggy and buggy. Its true SC its more fun and more realistic looking then ST.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Legend

MO3

The manufactures are confused right now ..
They first got all gun ho bout Sc . They gave SC mass attention , news feed , ect .

Then they started being not sure what they want of late .

Think many in charge are old school and stuck in their old ways . So they don't get the Sc craze nor do they partake ...

Same are kinda hoping Sc would run its course , hoping the Stadium will bring back some of that old school .

Not !!!!

Myself ?

Hoping they get their acts together.....

We will know soon if they figured it out .

We should start seeing the manufactures factory drivers promoting Sc at big event's a lot more then now .

Then these old school executives will put the ST to rest and start advertizing more race results, ect. a lot more for the Short Course class's...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In some areas I say yes its dead but in my area it's def not I raced yesterday at IERC
and we had 19 17.5 ST which was awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.