R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/18th scale trucks

I'm considering an 1/18th scale truck. What do you guys like. I'm leaning more towards the mini quake, but I hear it has issues, such as the ESC, and pinion gears getting stripped. How's the minizilla?
rcburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

NO MINIZILLA bad truck in my opinion, i run 2 rc18t's both have a brushless mamba 6800 and 2 cell lipo's and fully modded with cages and aluminum and titanium, great trucks... the mini-t is a hastle because it breaks continually and the mini xilla looks like junk. the mini quake is a good truck but it is heavy and slower than the rc18t and mini t, the itsy bitsy spider is not a good truck either. the rc18t or rc18tm is the way to go in my opinion. also, if you are considering to modify to a brushless, the rc18t is 4wd and is controllable at high speeds, the mini t with brushless flips cause it is 2wd and not controllable at high speeds, the mini quake is heavy and will over heat a brushless unless it has a great heat sink and the itsy bitsy spider looks like it will fall apart going that fast. the kyosho half 8 is also a very heavy truck and is extremely slow stock but looks like it will move with a mamba in it. do not get the minizilla, it is too top heavy and is two rigid and not good. i would get the rc18t, it is fast and capable while stock and can be modded very easily and is very durable.
go t www.one18th.com for more information about 1/18th offroad and onroad cars and trucks. it is a very good site.
spitfireo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

thanks. good info!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

no problem man, i am a 1/18th scale nut, i love them. any other questions you have about 1/18th scale trucks and cars i would be happy to tell you
Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

U know the only thing I don't like about one18th.com is that there is no general forum. Every forum is for a specific car or truck. So let's say I ask someone what the best truck is in the mini quake forum, they are going to be biased towards the mini quake.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Is the only difference between the rc18t and the rc18mt the wheels?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Smile Advise needed... plssss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfireo33
NO MINIZILLA bad truck in my opinion, i run 2 rc18t's both have a brushless mamba 6800 and 2 cell lipo's and fully modded with cages and aluminum and titanium, great trucks... the mini-t is a hastle because it breaks continually and the mini xilla looks like junk. the mini quake is a good truck but it is heavy and slower than the rc18t and mini t, the itsy bitsy spider is not a good truck either. the rc18t or rc18tm is the way to go in my opinion. also, if you are considering to modify to a brushless, the rc18t is 4wd and is controllable at high speeds, the mini t with brushless flips cause it is 2wd and not controllable at high speeds, the mini quake is heavy and will over heat a brushless unless it has a great heat sink and the itsy bitsy spider looks like it will fall apart going that fast. the kyosho half 8 is also a very heavy truck and is extremely slow stock but looks like it will move with a mamba in it. do not get the minizilla, it is too top heavy and is two rigid and not good. i would get the rc18t, it is fast and capable while stock and can be modded very easily and is very durable.
go t www.one18th.com for more information about 1/18th offroad and onroad cars and trucks. it is a very good site.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Spitfire033,

Good day... I'm buying my RC18T factory team tomorrow, and my thoughts are: Will I be making a very good decision in buying it?? what are the Pros and Cons between RC18T factory team, RC18T RTR, and a RC10 T4??? I use to own a Tamiya Pick-up 1/10th scale years back, and i'm palnning to own one again... please shed some ligth on my decision.. I believe your experienced in this things.. thanks...
mlv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

the rc18t has issues of it's own as well,like dog bones popping out,pinion/spur gears wearing,and rear diffs going bad to name a few.any truck is gonna have issues,your choice should be based on things such as what you plan to do with it.if you're just gonna play around with it then you don't need to worry about getting into brushless motors and bigger batteries,so it comes down to which one suits your needs the best.I like the quake because it has great ground clearance for an 18th scale truck,it's 4 wheel drive,has 8 oil shocks,comes completely RTR right down to having AA batteries for the remote and a wall charger for the battery,and has a 1-year stress-tech warranty.all I do with it is play around indoors,climbing piles of books,jumping ramps,even rock crawling over my neices as they lay on the floor in this case I found the mini-quake fit my needs better than the other trucks that were available at the time (it may or may not meet your needs,that's where you have to decide).now if I were looking to compete in 18th scale racing,then I would have probably chosen the rc18t instead.I'm not bashing the info that spitfire provided,but it sounds like he's coming at it from more of a race/hopped up perspective.from what I've gathered from your previous posts is that you're looking for something just to drive around indoors and when you travel,that's what I'm basing my opinion on.it's just that,an opinion, not an attempt to bash anyone or contradict anyone else's info.
BTW-have you considered the X-ray truck?it looks like a really sweet set up,and if it's anything like they're other products,it'll be top of the line
dragonfire xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:53 AM   #9
sac
Tech Regular

Default Thunder Tiger 1/18th

rcburner
Take a look at the Thunder Tiger zk2 and zt2 1/18th scale trucks.To find a place to buy one go to www.evolutionhobbies.com and go to there "MY STORE" section to buy online.They also have a good selection of replacement parts in stock.The TT trucks are over looked by many ,and they easily compete with the other 1/18th trucks on the market!!some say they are made in the same factory as the Team Asociated truck,i would have to say that it could be true ,considering Thunder Tiger is buying Associated!!
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:55 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire xray
the rc18t has issues of it's own as well,like dog bones popping out,pinion/spur gears wearing,and rear diffs going bad to name a few.any truck is gonna have issues,your choice should be based on things such as what you plan to do with it.if you're just gonna play around with it then you don't need to worry about getting into brushless motors and bigger batteries,so it comes down to which one suits your needs the best.I like the quake because it has great ground clearance for an 18th scale truck,it's 4 wheel drive,has 8 oil shocks,comes completely RTR right down to having AA batteries for the remote and a wall charger for the battery,and has a 1-year stress-tech warranty.all I do with it is play around indoors,climbing piles of books,jumping ramps,even rock crawling over my neices as they lay on the floor in this case I found the mini-quake fit my needs better than the other trucks that were available at the time (it may or may not meet your needs,that's where you have to decide).now if I were looking to compete in 18th scale racing,then I would have probably chosen the rc18t instead.I'm not bashing the info that spitfire provided,but it sounds like he's coming at it from more of a race/hopped up perspective.from what I've gathered from your previous posts is that you're looking for something just to drive around indoors and when you travel,that's what I'm basing my opinion on.it's just that,an opinion, not an attempt to bash anyone or contradict anyone else's info.
BTW-have you considered the X-ray truck?it looks like a really sweet set up,and if it's anything like they're other products,it'll be top of the line
__________________________________________________ ______________

thanks a lot dragonfire,

you're right!!!! I'm juz planning to use it more indoors and maybe some outdoor fun... Backyard, parks, or maybe the beach... But i'm also considering racing it soon.. (that's if our local club for RC enthusiasts pushes through with our plan of setting up a race track... but thanks alot on your info...
mlv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I will say this about the RC18T. You get alot of truck for the money. out of the box its pretty fast compared to what losi sells.

Doesn't the RC18MT have a bigger motor as well as the tires?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

for duability the Team Losi Mini-T my 6 year old son has one and it takes a beating and keeps on going, We have stripped one servo so far, but only because of a very hard crash. Even though it is 2wd it makes up in toughness.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

dragonfire xray, you are rite about the dog bones and i completely understand where you are coming from. the rc18t has easily falling out dogbones, an easy fix is the outdrive reinforcers off of ebay. for 4 dollers.

rc burner, the rc18t m also comes with a 370 speed motor as opposed to the rc18t with a 280 speed. i would go with the rc18tm but in the long fun it wont matter.

mlv 888. the rc18t factory team is a very good truck for bashing and racing alike. but you are going to need to buy a motor, esc, and receiver and maby a servo, im not sure if it comes with a servo.

david albercio, you must have a very skilled 6 year old son because my friends minit breaks every 30 minutes.

cain, your rite about the rc18t and it does have a bigger motor also, and the rc18t is a very very fast out of the box car.

mlv 888, you can raise the rc18t up very high and give it higher grund clearence so you can roal over stuff especially with the brb shocks

any more questions id be happy to answer, keep em comming
Old 06-06-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfireo33
dragonfire xray, you are rite about the dog bones and i completely understand where you are coming from. the rc18t has easily falling out dogbones, an easy fix is the outdrive reinforcers off of ebay. for 4 dollers.

rc burner, the rc18t m also comes with a 370 speed motor as opposed to the rc18t with a 280 speed. i would go with the rc18tm but in the long fun it wont matter.

mlv 888. the rc18t factory team is a very good truck for bashing and racing alike. but you are going to need to buy a motor, esc, and receiver and maby a servo, im not sure if it comes with a servo.

david albercio, you must have a very skilled 6 year old son because my friends minit breaks every 30 minutes.

cain, your rite about the rc18t and it does have a bigger motor also, and the rc18t is a very very fast out of the box car.

mlv 888, you can raise the rc18t up very high and give it higher grund clearence so you can roal over stuff especially with the brb shocks

any more questions id be happy to answer, keep em comming
So you can raise the ground clearance of the rc18t, huh. That's cool. That's one of my main issues. I like the quake because it looks like a monster truck. It has a higher stance, so I could roll over rocks and branches and stuff. The quake has a 1.25" ground clearance. How high can I raise the rc18t?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Default leaking shocks

Mine is a factory team RC18T. Can anyone share your thoughts on fixing the leaking shocks?. I had one front and one rear leaking.

What I is to open the black plastic clip-on cap at the bottom of the shock housing, cut a small thin piece double side tape, make a hole in it for the piston rod to move freely, and paste it inside the cap. So when the cap clips back onto the shocking housing, it provides a tighter seal by pressing harder on the o-rings. You will see that there is a raised section in the cap that pushes against the o-rings for a seal.

I'm not sure how well it works yet. So far so good. I will check it again a week later.

Appreciate if you can share your fixes.

It's a fantastic mini truck. I'm using the mamba comp x package(8000Kv) and it flies. All parts are holding up very well so far. I've had it for more than month, ran it about 3 times per week, each time about 8-10 mins till battery dump. Oh the tires are almost bald.
TitaniumR is offline   Reply With Quote