Punching holes in tires...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Punching holes in tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Tech Initiate

holes in rims may be sufficient if you only run in dry conditions. In wet condition they'll allow the water in, but not out and your tire will end up over a pound (with high risk of tearing it off the rim). Hole in the tire allow water to escape, although you'd think it's easy for water to enter there, speed will centrifuge it out faster that it enters.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phred2069
holes in rims may be sufficient if you only run in dry conditions. In wet condition they'll allow the water in, but not out and your tire will end up over a pound (with high risk of tearing it off the rim). Hole in the tire allow water to escape, although you'd think it's easy for water to enter there, speed will centrifuge it out faster that it enters.
Point taken. So 2wd front tires: one, or two holes opposite sides? Cheers,
Old 11-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quick 1.
What hole size is recommended???
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Size doesn't matter. (she says)

I'd typically do two 1 or 2mm holes, opposite of each other. But I think this is of little importance. I use whatever tool i have on hand, or the nearest friend can hand me over.
& I'll let you do the conversion to imperial.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
wasn't directed at you because you didn't do it.

don't really care because it's a relatively current topic, just wondering why the guy dug it up..
I was looking for opinions. so i gave one too

besides its only a few months old. within the year I don't consider it old yet
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phred2069
Size doesn't matter. (she says)

I'd typically do two 1 or 2mm holes, opposite of each other. But I think this is of little importance. I use whatever tool i have on hand, or the nearest friend can hand me over.
& I'll let you do the conversion to imperial.
It may not matter.... but it does make a difference and if not done consistently it can kill any attempt at fine tuning a setup, making a couple random size holes with some random tool will give different results, setup problems being chased in the dark. There are specific reasons for different size holes as well. The vehicle, the tire, the insert, the track, the driver.. all are factors. At the very least someone should try to use the same hole all the time to eliminate one tuning variable.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Relative to holes in tires

Originally Posted by racer1812
Other than saucing affecting the foams I don't see any reason not to vent the tire. Even then those 2 1/8" holes aren't gonna be that much of an issue. Maybe I replace my stuff often enough not to have to worry about it I guess..? I've seen tires 'suck air' and balloon from not being vented with a CC foam,.. but not always. Why take the chance? With an open cell foam it's much less of an issue.
Can u clarify the issue as to ,if tire sauce affects tire foam then is the reward for preventing tire ballooning beneficial ? I run indoors on clay only with this particular SC and I really get great traction when I use tire sauce and would prefer to maintain the results I'm getting. The track has more technical than speed section so I just trying to decide if tires swell enough to gain advantage if they aren't getting high speeds to cause them to change diameter. ?
Old 01-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Saw this thread, and I thought I’d share my Rookie mistake - mostly because I thought it was funny, but hopefully to also spread the word as a lesson - “Check twice, punch once”.

So I bought a set of Pro-Line Primes - mostly to put on my brand new buggy while it’s on the shelf, but also to practice gluing and preparing tires (The last time I glued offf-road tires, punching holes wasn’t even a thing, and foams were primitive compared to today’s standards). Being directional tires, I carefully lined up my tires to make the hole punches. Well, after grabbing my LF, I realized that I punched the holes on the LEFT side of the tire! No problem, right? I’ll just swap sides and punch the holes on the right side of the other tire. Well, after punching the holes on the other tire and grabbing the foams, I realized that I punched the left side again.

Alright, alright, lesson learned - I’ll be super careful and get it right when I punch the rears. The LR went as planned; I punched the right side of the carcass. Now I’m feeling like a honcho, and punch the RR. As I get ready to stick the inserts in... I punched the freakin’ right side of the carcass again.

So yeah - the moral of the story with directional tires is,forget lining them up on the bench - use a silver Sharpie and put a dot where you intend to punch your holes, and double check that you’ve marked them correctly. Obviously, just looking at the tread pattern is not enough... I hope someone got a good laugh out of this. I can easily laugh at myself after getting past the shame, lol. FWIW, at least I got through the gluing without any fingers getting permanently fused together, lol... Although I may just use Medium glue after this bottle is done - holy crap that stuff dries faster than I remember! I had one small section that dried before the bead got completely seated back into the groove. It’s only a teeny bit, but it would be Nice to have an extra few seconds, that’s for sure.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Saw this thread, and I thought I’d share my Rookie mistake - mostly because I thought it was funny, but hopefully to also spread the word as a lesson - “Check twice, punch once”.

So I bought a set of Pro-Line Primes - mostly to put on my brand new buggy while it’s on the shelf, but also to practice gluing and preparing tires (The last time I glued offf-road tires, punching holes wasn’t even a thing, and foams were primitive compared to today’s standards). Being directional tires, I carefully lined up my tires to make the hole punches. Well, after grabbing my LF, I realized that I punched the holes on the LEFT side of the tire! No problem, right? I’ll just swap sides and punch the holes on the right side of the other tire. Well, after punching the holes on the other tire and grabbing the foams, I realized that I punched the left side again.

Alright, alright, lesson learned - I’ll be super careful and get it right when I punch the rears. The LR went as planned; I punched the right side of the carcass. Now I’m feeling like a honcho, and punch the RR. As I get ready to stick the inserts in... I punched the freakin’ right side of the carcass again.

So yeah - the moral of the story with directional tires is,forget lining them up on the bench - use a silver Sharpie and put a dot where you intend to punch your holes, and double check that you’ve marked them correctly. Obviously, just looking at the tread pattern is not enough... I hope someone got a good laugh out of this. I can easily laugh at myself after getting past the shame, lol. FWIW, at least I got through the gluing without any fingers getting permanently fused together, lol... Although I may just use Medium glue after this bottle is done - holy crap that stuff dries faster than I remember! I had one small section that dried before the bead got completely seated back into the groove. It’s only a teeny bit, but it would be Nice to have an extra few seconds, that’s for sure.
So, I am just hopping back into this. Directional tires were not a thing a few years ago. I bought a set of directional tires and am going to be gluing them tomorrow. You don't punch them in center? You punch the inside portion?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TahoeDust
So, I am just hopping back into this. Directional tires were not a thing a few years ago. I bought a set of directional tires and am going to be gluing them tomorrow. You don't punch them in center? You punch the inside portion?
There are different opinions on this - some people punch on the face of the tire, some on the sidewall. With regard to the sidewall, putting them on the inner side seems to be preferred... Just like some folks punch 4 holes, others only 2. It as mentioned above, whatever you do, you should probably be consistent about it, so that the buggy doesn’t feel “different” with every set of tires.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TahoeDust
It's all preference
Old 03-03-2020, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are guys punching carpet tires? Front tires are proline wedge with no inserts. Rear are prisms.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asadrian
Are guys punching carpet tires? Front tires are proline wedge with no inserts. Rear are prisms.

A few at my track are, but by and far they're the exception. Most just go with the 2 holes in the rim.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
A few at my track are, but by and far they're the exception. Most just go with the 2 holes in the rim.
Thanks! I was thinking in front without inserts might make them even softer and wasnt sure that would be good. Thought about maybe back would be helpful with ballooning of the tire
Old 03-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asadrian
Thanks! I was thinking in front without inserts might make them even softer and wasnt sure that would be good. Thought about maybe back would be helpful with ballooning of the tire
You only need to punch holes in tires running closed cell foam. If you are running open cell foam (or no foam at all) holes in the tires will not change the way the tires work, unless there are no holes in your wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.