R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #1

Default ? about Engine break in

I just bought a Novarossi ct.12 and just wondering on break in . I heard people say anything from 5 to 12 tanks need to be run for proper break in.
this is what the manual tells me to do.

1. Make the engine run at 1/4 gas for at least 15 minutes (1st starting).

2. Make the engine run at 1/2 gas for at least 30 minutes without exceeding
15,000-20,000 RPM.

Just wanted a few thoughts on this before i started. THANK YOU

Last edited by streetstock; 06-03-2005 at 10:49 AM.
streetstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers
Default Straight From Aaron Waldron...

The heat cycle method!

"From the very 1st time you start your engine, plop the car on the
ground & begin running it in a parking lot in 2-3 minute intervals,
tuned only *slightly rich* getting the temps up in the 200F range on a
normal day. Every 2-3 minutes, shut the engine down & let it cool
completely with the piston at BDC, and then fire it back up; continue
this cycle until you've run 15 min or so, and then bump up to 3-4
minute intervals. Vary the RPM and don't be afraid to get the temps
in the 200's. What you want is heat cycling of the components without
the incredible stress that comes with breaking an engine in when it's
overly rich & cold. After cycling the engine in this manner for about
20-25 total minutes, it'll be ready for the track and race tuning."

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've done the idling thing and the heat cycling thing. I really cant tell the difference between them. The heat cycling is alot faster and you use less gas. To me, heat cycling is the way to go. This is a topic that is highly debated though. Pretty much it comes down to what you fell is best for your engine. Longevity wise it might, and that's a big might, make the difference of about half a gallon of motor life. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Try tne heat cycling method and you'll be racing by this afternoon.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Heat cycle baby. Anything else is uncivilized....

Far as I'm concerned if you sit and idle thru a couple tanks, your running low temps and just scrubbing the insides of your motor.

That said breakin to the manuals specs is always advisable. That way you can't say the motor is screwed up due to bad internet information. After a couple motors you'll try different things and come to your own conclusion of what you like best.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

another method that hasn't been mentioned is the wide open throttle method,a guy on another forum I frequent used it to break in his new collari .30 and it worked great for him.after break in he posted some pics of how the engine ripped his tires right off the rims and broke a CVD.I personally have always used the old school "drive around method" that you first mentioned,but I always insure that the engine reaches 200F while doing so.I would follow the instuctions that came with your engine in this case,that way there won't be any warranty issues.here's a link to the WOT method for anyone who's interested in finding out what it's all about....

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php
dragonfire xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Best case scenario you get 16 hours on your engine with that method. It seem to me that youd get a stupid strong engine for a short time span. I got 16 hours out of my Hyper 8 Port engine that I abused. To me, I want power but I also want a little bit of longevity out of an engine. If I dont get 8 gallons out of an engine, I'm disappointed. And my engines always seem to run at 270-280. I'm now running a Collari B7 and I already have about a gallon and a half through it and it's still waking up and giving me more power every time it's out.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GReddy

whats this method called?

some number of tanks on idle

some number of tanks on 1/4 speed

and 1/2 and so on?

and whats the best method for longer engine life?
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Best case scenario you get 16 hours on your engine with that method. It seem to me that youd get a stupid strong engine for a short time span. I got 16 hours out of my Hyper 8 Port engine that I abused. To me, I want power but I also want a little bit of longevity out of an engine. If I dont get 8 gallons out of an engine, I'm disappointed. And my engines always seem to run at 270-280. I'm now running a Collari B7 and I already have about a gallon and a half through it and it's still waking up and giving me more power every time it's out.
I didn't say that this is the method that should be used,I simply figured that while we were all on the discussion of engine break in methods I would provide a link with some info to another method of break in.

personally this is how I was taught to break in an engine and this is how I've done it on all my engines to date (with great success I might add).

the first tank I run through at idle on factroy settings,along the way I measure temp and assure that I'm hitting about 200-210F (if needed I'll make some adjustments to both the LSN and HSN to assure I reach that temp),when the first tank is done I turn the piston to BDC and let it cool for about 10 mins.next tank I let it warm up for a min,then I drive around while slowly throttling it to about 1/4 to under 1/2 throttle and back to idle.basicly I'm slowly accelerating and decelerating,I do this for the second tank again checking that I'm running just over 200.again piston at BDC and cool ten mins.3rd tank I drive around again this time as I throttle up to about 1/4 or slightly more I hold it for 2 seconds before decelrating,I usually just count one-one thousand,two-one thousand and release.again I'm just driving around throttling up and down.for the 4th tank it's the same but I count to 3 and get more to about 1/2 throttle.5th tank I start leaning out a little more untill I'm around 220-230 and drive just drive around getting more speed and time on the throttle but still not going full out,usually around 3/4 throttle runs.from then on I just slowly keep tuning and driving a little harder untill I've put about 7-8 tanks through it.

is it the best way,maybe, maybe not,it's one of those subjects where you'll get answers according to each person's preference and how they've learned.I just know that this has always worked well for me,I have a TT 21 from my MGT that has about 6-7 gallons through it and still runs very strong,I'm sure I can easily get another 3 or more gallons through it.in the case of high priced engines or engines bought from a retailer that offers some kind of warranty,I would just go with what they reccomend only to avoid any warranty issues.but hey that's just my opinion .
dragonfire xray is offline   Reply With Quote