R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   New Racer; Nitro or Electric (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/74107-new-racer%3B-nitro-electric.html)

WaDsY 06-02-2005 07:12 PM

New Racer; Nitro or Electric

I use to Race Electric Off-Road about 8 years ago in Perth. I use to race a Schumacher Cougar 2000. I now want to get right back into it now that I live in Melbourne.

I have been doing a lot of reading of late and are becoming more an more confused.

Can I please have some advice around the following questions.

Off Road Nitro or Electric?
If Electric what are the pros and cons of brushed and brushless?
Is brushless legal as when I raced there wasn’t such a thing.
Are Nitro’s reliable these days for off road?

Any other information you may think I need.

Thanks in advanced as I find information from users far greater then info from product manufacturers.

BritRacer 06-02-2005 08:09 PM

if i were you I would do some research about what is the most popular in your area. Look at what tracks are around, and what they race. Try and pick something that has several tracks to race on.

Look at race turnout, its no fun if only 5 turn up in a class.....when you know whats popular...go with that. Ask guys at your track what they run, see what spares are easy to pick up.

Nitro or electric, they are both fun, both have their ups and downs and both end up costing a fortune, so chose well!!!

netmaster 06-03-2005 12:26 AM

In Florida, the largest turnout is usually 1/8 nitro buggy.

mafiaracers 06-03-2005 11:21 AM

If you want to learn how to drive...then a electric would be your best bet...but if you want consistnat competition down the road, run whatever the biggest class is...

Team Duratrax 06-03-2005 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by WaDsY
I use to Race Electric Off-Road about 8 years ago in Perth. I use to race a Schumacher Cougar 2000. I now want to get right back into it now that I live in Melbourne.

I have been doing a lot of reading of late and are becoming more an more confused.

Can I please have some advice around the following questions.

Off Road Nitro or Electric?
If Electric what are the pros and cons of brushed and brushless?
Is brushless legal as when I raced there wasn’t such a thing.
Are Nitro’s reliable these days for off road?

Any other information you may think I need.

Thanks in advanced as I find information from users far greater then info from product manufacturers.

1. Offroad electric has different classes, ie stock mod etc so you can start at the bottom and work your way up which is the best way to go unlike nitro.

Offroad is MUCH cleaner.Anywhere that an electric would go a nitro would be absolutely filthy so cleaning is a pain.

Offroad electric is much easier to fiddle with and tuning is a breeze.

Nitro engines are something every newbie has a headache over.Sometimes they won't start, not tuned well etc.

I may sound like im against nitros but im not because i own one and i am just telling you from my experiences of both electric and nitro.

2. If you went down the electric route you would have to find out what your track rules are because some tracks don't allow brushless motors.

Brushless motors require no maintenance at all unlike brushes motors and they usually have more torque then a brushed motor and they can be run on more cells without harm.

Sean

BritRacer 06-03-2005 08:58 PM

Again, If you want to RACE, see whats about, then all these points are really valid. But not if you by a 10th scale on road and there is nowhere to race it.

Eldaddio Fozzy 06-04-2005 06:24 AM

deffiantely electric to start with much more reliable for the newbies.Some good deals on electric cars like the B4 to start off with. Good Luck and welcome back to the hobbie

GregH 06-04-2005 06:49 AM

I would check with any local tracks in your area before you do anything. If nitro racing is big, you should consider getting into nitro racing. Same goes for electric. Personally nitro is the way to go. You'll pick it up quick if you've raced electric. ALL offroad classes are dirty, don't let them fool ya. Nitro cars can be cleaned up just as easy if not easier then electric.

The big thrill with nitro is, you can pull up to ya, give it a shot of fuel and keep going. Can't do that with electric! This = more track time and more run time.

If you decide to go electric, I have a T4 and B4 with spares I'l sell cheap. Also has speedos in them and some battery packs.