Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best ESC on the market and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They're all good. Buy the one that comes in a color you like.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
It's not just hearsay, man. Novak do not make reliable ESCs.

Too much timing fries motors. If it fries a speedo, that's a crap speedo. Also, if you bought a Novak ESC to race a boosted class, well I have this bridge I'd like to sell you.
I run the activ8 in my pro4 truck and in my 1/8 buggy with no problems at all. I use the kinetic in my pro2 with a ballistic 10.5 with no problems. I run extra timing on all but not more then I should after doing research. I just think it sucks the every time novak comes up that everyone says how much they suck but I see more then half the racers at my track ever week with novak and no problems. I see problems with orion and tekin more then any other esc that comes through the track.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Initiate

+1 for Hobbywing. Great support as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LazyJay
I'm back after 7 years and technolgy has far advanced since the GT7 and Green Monster days!

I think I have my choices narrowed down to the Flow, Pulse and R10 but hesitant to pull the trigger as it seems each has their benefits. I'm planning on staying with 17.5 for a little bit and running a Vulcan with a shorty orion if it makes a difference.

So far, im leaning towards the Pulse as I'm a fan of the onboard programming... plus, cant argue the cheaper price is attractive.
Hello fellow tuscon racer. Tekin are the most popular on these forums followed by orion probably. Does popular mean the best? I dunno both are good. The orion gets a bit pricey after you get the program box. I would stay away form novak, they are not like they used to be. If you "think" you might run 4x4 in the future get the orion because it can do it all. If you only ever plan to run 17.5, the gen2 is decent. And it has some limited 2 button blinky light programming. The vipers are very good as well and are able to be programmed with a hand held programmer. About the size of a credit card. If you wan to rake a look at the viper, I will be at Canyon vista tomorrow practicing and again saturday for the "big" race with the guys from texas that are coming out. You can even take a few laps with my 2wd buggy if you like with a reedy 17.5 and a viper esc. I can also demonstrate how to tune the esc with the programmer.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Orion R10 pro. Works great out of the box, easy to program in minutes without a pc. Service ? I have yet to need any.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run numerous ESC, with a different one in each car I own at the moment. Purely to try them out and find what I like. Ill try to make a quick summary below:

Hobbywing 120A v2.1 in stock 4wd buggy:
Never had an issue (apart from a dodgy sensor wire, which isn't the esc). Easy to program everything with the program box, although it sucks to unplug it every time.
It's smooth enough, breaks are lacking a little which is amplified with the stock motor.
Overall a great ESC and you can't beat the price.

Tekin RS Pro in 2wd mod buggy with a 8.5T:
Best feature is the quick programming with the onboard lights. Super quick and simple. Worst feature, you need to plug it into a pc to program any timing or boost.
Great compact ESC and never runs hot, the internal temp readings are a great feature as well.
The only issue I have had is with the quality of the reciever wire. To put it bluntly it sucks.. Its very thin and the wire actually snapped after some time on the receiver plug.
Apart from that, I would highly recommend it.

Novak GTB 2 with X-drive in 2wd SC with 10.5t:
First thing i noticed with this ESC was how smooth it was! I even called my girlfriend into the room to show her (although she didn't care haha).
Worst part is the massive capacitor hanging off the side and the programming. The different coloured flashing lights is not very user friendly. I have also had some issues with it cutting out completely during a race, although I think there is an issue with my motor.
Very smooth ESC and runs nice.

Orion R10 pro in mod 4wd buggy with a 7.5t:
I haven't had much exposure to this ESC as I have only run with it once. The programming is the same as the Hobbywing, which is very easy.
The quality of the ESC seems second to none. Everything about it looks great and well made. It is smooth and felt great straight out of the box.
I need more testing on this ESC before I can pass a final judgement, but my opinion of it so far is very high.

I also have 150A Hobbywing XERUN and an RX8. But it doesn't seems like you after that sort of ESC, so I won't discuss.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another vote for Hobbywing. I even sold my Tekin RS for a Hobbywing Xerun v2.1. Don't bother running mod with a Tekin. Hobbywing is much smoother and no failure.

Now I own a v2.1, a v3.1 and 2 Justocks. All great speedos. Never had a problem. Tech support is great on this forum.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i have different ones in each car at the moment also lol

LRP SXX V2 competition - very smooth! , bec went bad so i had to send it in. only had one race on it. ran 140 after 8 mins in a mod 2wd buggy 7.5

Orion r10 pro - smoother than the lrp ! , runs cool on a 6.5 mod 4wd buggy

Speed passion reventon pro - not as smooth as either of the other two but the price was good and it has the program box with it already. runs cool in the 2wd mod buggy with a 7.5

Novak havoc pro sc - complete crap... ran it in a 2wd buggy STOCK BLINKY MODE. went up in smoke as soon as i put a little bit of endbell timming on the 17.5 motor...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Have had two Tekins crap out on me. (I own 7 Tekin ESCs total). So I'm just downsizing as they begin to crap out and I've been slowly moving over to Hobbywing. I actually like my Justock ESC as much or more than my RS. $50 ESC vs $150...

Just picked up a V3.1, but its for my touring car.

And I don't know why some people rag on Hobbywing support. Angelo is very active on the forum and answers any questions you may have. They have extended their warranty, and Falcon Sekido (official HW distributor) handles servicing. HW failure is rare but they actually fix the ESC for minimal charge. Where as my last Tekin experience, my RS froze during a firmware update. Got RMA, sent it in, got no response at all, but charged my card for a "new replacement" at a pretty high cost.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

+1 Hobbywing

Funny someone said Novak. Can't count how many times I've seen those go up in smoke at my local tracks. Can't believe they are still dishing out ESC's..
I've had Tekin RX8 before, Puff a smoke, sent it in, Got a new one. Sold it here. Don't get me wrong, Tekin has some of the best Customer Service out there.
Had my hobbywings for about 15 months, No problems what so ever.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've seen every brand of ESC "go up in smoke" at the track. Whatever. They all have issues. Orion, Tekin, hobby wing, Novak, LRP. User error has a lot to do with it, but I've certainly seen just about ever brand fail on first power up. Out if the box turd.

You're rolling the dice with all of them.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Grandturk
I've seen every brand of ESC "go up in smoke" at the track. Whatever. They all have issues. Orion, Tekin, hobby wing, Novak, LRP. User error has a lot to do with it, but I've certainly seen just about ever brand fail on first power up. Out if the box turd.

You're rolling the dice with all of them.
Agree with that, but it's how each company deals with the issue that makes the difference to me. Some are fantastic, some ok some just don't even seem to care.

In some ways you guys in the US have it pretty good as far as prices go. A new RS Gen2 is £160 ($243), that price just plain sucks for a speedo with a 8.5 turn motor limit. A HW V3.1 is approx £150 ($230) whilst it looks like we will (eventually) be able to get Viper VTX10R BE for £130 ($200). Team Orion R10 Pros are around £145 ($220) without the program card.
So for us Tekins are just too expensive irrspective of the great service they offer, and we don't really see many at race tracks, except for 1/8th electric. I hate to think what the new RSx will cost.

I just hope that Viper do start to get some stock in the UK and we can still eat the same great service.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Badger5
Agree with that, but it's how each company deals with the issue that makes the difference to me. Some are fantastic, some ok some just don't even seem to care.

In some ways you guys in the US have it pretty good as far as prices go. A new RS Gen2 is £160 ($243), that price just plain sucks for a speedo with a 8.5 turn motor limit. A HW V3.1 is approx £150 ($230) whilst it looks like we will (eventually) be able to get Viper VTX10R BE for £130 ($200). Team Orion R10 Pros are around £145 ($220) without the program card.
So for us Tekins are just too expensive irrspective of the great service they offer, and we don't really see many at race tracks, except for 1/8th electric. I hate to think what the new RSx will cost.

I just hope that Viper do start to get some stock in the UK and we can still eat the same great service.
You need a friend in the states to get you ESC's and send them over yonder.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When I started getting into RC I went with Tekin because a friend ran it and it was the first set I was exposed to, so I played follow the leader.

That being said, I did have a Tekin RX8 go up in smoke and take a battery with it. Not sure if it was the battery or the ESC but it put on a fantastic display of smoke. Sent it into Tekin, it was replaced within 3 weeks I think? Overall I was pleased with the warranty service.

However when I get started again, I'm going with the Orion R10 Pro. I've heard a lot of great things about it, the cost doesn't scare me away. This time I did my own research and decided to not follow the leader.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Can someone post a link to these hobbywing v3. Esc I' d like to read up on them thank you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.