Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid corner marshals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scrubb
It's interesting that you guys keep fixating on the point that corner marshaling is a highly skilled activity.

It is not.

Check for traffic, run out and flip car on to its tires, check for traffic, run back to cone.

I'm sure 10 to 15 year old Boy Scouts could learn the trade rather quickly.

It's hard to tell if you guys are underestimating kids, or if your overestimating r/c racers.
If it takes no skill, why not spend 5 minutes after your race marshaling? I could understand Nitro cars who run for 15+, but to pay more is a waste in electric 1/10, IMHO.

Also, do you realize that if you hire people (marshalls) as a business, your Worker's comp insurance AND your unemployment insurance (the amount the state holds off your payroll) also goes up. That could lead to higher prices in the hobby shop etc. Kids would be subject to labor laws if you tried to hire them (under 18). For perspective, one worker's compensation claim can double your premium depending on the injury.

There's a lot more to running a business than most people think.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Well, I say if you guys don't want to pay for marshaling, then these should be the new rules...

The corner marshalling spots should have cones
The cones should have numbers
The racers should corner marshal the cone with their finishing position or starting position.
If the corner marshal spot is not covered in the next race, that racer should be disqualified from there next run.
Run the race without that spot filled.
The race director should not even call for corner marshals. Just disqualify those who don't marshal and move along with the program.

Upset that position isn't filled, go take it up with your fellow racer.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grandturk
Your remarks are honestly making me question the "ROAR Region 1 Director" in your sig. I can't imagine that a racing organization is going to sanction unskilled non-racers being permitted to corner marshall.
ROAR has their own corner marshaling rules for their sanctioned races. I have read the rule book, and are aware of them.

Not all trophy races are ROAR sanctioned events.

Also, If you wanted to look at it strictly from a ROAR race point of view, ROAR could implement a rule allowing hired corner marshals to be given ROAR memberships.

5.5.1.2 Qualified ROAR members may substitute with the approval of the Race
Director. It is the original driver’s responsibility to find a substitute and he is
responsible for the actions of that substitute.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

I would apply for this job! For those that are saying they would pay $20 extra, that would mean if there are, lets say 60 racers racing at the track that night, there would be about $1200 to split up. At my track, we have about 8-10 marshals, so if there are 10, that would mean each marshal would get $120! I would soooo take that job!! haha
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Wow, this thread has become huge really fast
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The key to removing the griping of overworked corner marshalls is to get them from Home Depot. Those guys don't complain, just do the work, and will do it in the sun without complaining about the heat.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would still marshall, but i would pay to have quality marshalls.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I will say that the original poster has been a staple in the Northeast for years both as a racer and a track owner with one of the best run club programs I have been to in 10 years of racing. Not to mention he has helped develop some of the best electric offroad racers in our area over the years.

That said, my suggestion is to call a driver's meeting at your next race and take a vote. Try it for one race and see how it goes.

So many tracks are run so differently with such varying levels of competitiveness that global internet answers might not be worth much.

Last edited by Jeel; 06-25-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Jeel
I will say that thee original poster has been a staple in the Northeast for years both as a racer and a track owner with one of the best run club programs I have been too in 10 years of racing. Not to mention he has helped develop some of the best electric offroad racers in our area over the years.

That said, my suggestion is to call a driver's meeting at your next race and take a vote. Try it for one race and see how it goes.

So many tracks are run so differently with such varying levels of competitiveness that global internet answers might not be worth much.
That's some pretty sound advice dude
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I think the whole thing about how the corner marshals need to be racers, because they know what to do is comical.

A guy racing for his first time in novice/sportsman class is required to corner marshal his first time ever (depending how the heats are seeded, he may end up corner marshaling the 'A' main). And somehow, because he is now a 'racer', he has corner marshaling skills.

Where as a hired corner marshal couldn't possibly learn how to properly learn to corner marshal until he has bought a r/c and entered into a race.

Thinking about JiuHaWong's post about the legalities, my strategy might change to seeing if the the leaders of the Boy Scouts will provide turn marshaling services in exchange for donations (The Boy Scouts always need funds for trips and activities).
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Good idea about the boy scouts.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm sure 10 to 15 year old Boy Scouts could learn the trade rather quickly.
Funny you would mention this.

Many years ago we put on an indoor race and hired some local scouts to marshal for us. We brought in enough to have two full crews then rotated them every other heat/main. We trained them on practice day, and in addition to the pay we gave them, we also offered an RTR buggy as a prize to the marshal voted as best by his fellow marshals.

They were tireless workers all weekend and were always on the track when they were supposed to be and did a great job.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

As a track owner holding a ROAR race with a big enough turn out, it might even be affordable to buy the corner marshals 'one-time event' memberships for $15, which would qualify them to be a race director approved ROAR member (ROAR insurance then covers them as well). That's only $120 for 8 one-time memberships.

And if a few corner marshals decide to get into the hobby later, that's all good too.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No wonder obesity is such a problem nowadays -.-
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
No wonder obesity is such a problem nowadays -.-
On that note, If I can get the Boy Scouts to run a cookout for donations, and have them corner marshal - that would be even better. And they have there own insurance for Scout activities....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.