Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
XRAY XB9E Official Thread - they did it :) >

XRAY XB9E Official Thread - they did it :)

Like Tree1Likes

XRAY XB9E Official Thread - they did it :)

Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
i can see what your seeing.. however.. the parts are really the same.. there is no left, or right.. they are just showing you that the knuckle part is towards the outside.. and nearest to the outer hub

back in the day.. i would always setup my turnbuckles, so.. i would have to go the same direction, for more camber, or less.. meaning.. when looking from the front of the buggy.. i would turn my wrench back for more camber.. or forward for less camber.. on both sides of the car.. and it would be the same for the rear.. as looking from the rear..

these turnbuckles, the knuckle is closer to the natural side.. opposite side threads are farther away from knuckle..

edit:
no wait a minute.. ur right.. the upper box showing them threading into the knuckles.. is incorrect.. right threads are on the side near the knuckle..

another thing.. look at the arrows.. they are going the same direction in the exploded views.. one side should be opposite the other.. per camber link
Yep that's it, that first box on page 16, the wording and arrows are wrong except the small detail box and the one showing the 39mm lengths. I can put the da&n cars together without the manual now, but I pulled it out when I snapped my aluminum camber link to get the correct length when installing a new steel one and saw it. I remembered when I first built the car I noticed it. The short end is normal right hand threading.

And now I have my first legitimate complaint about the XB9!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 AM
Tech Master

Default XB9E on astro

A bit of astro action for those interested

This was a mixed class of nitro and electric running together (4 electric out of 22 total) in the opening race of the new outdoor astro track at Mustit Raceway in Norway.

They ran 3 x 5 min qualifiers, 30 min B-Final and 40 min A-final.

They also had free practice in the morning to get to know the new track.

The video is of Malin running her Xray XB9E in qualification round #3.

She was fighting for the 2nd spot until she got caught under a pipe on the last lap and the marshal didn't see her buggy.
I had to run across track to get the buggy out.
She lost 20 seconds in the process and any chance of catching #2.
But she still finished 3rd for this last qualifier ;-)

And with the 2nd place from round #2 she ended up qualifying #3 for the 40 min. A-final

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bent
Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 AM
Tech Champion

nice, what tires/ setup where you using?

you have some of the best looking tracks I have seen in Europe, is RC very developped in Norway?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

ive been away at a race and busy with work. i just read that review. that guy is a moron. it sounds like he should design his own buggy and fix all the flaws he sees in other cars as well. for those of you that need help shimming a the car the best way to do it is put both shims on the gear side of the diff. after one battery pack they will be broken in and i guarantee you that you will never have to reshim. I got my first xb9 in december when i signed with xray. i shimmed it this way and 11 months and A LOT of racing later they dont need reshimming and they are still butter smooth. the only thing that moron said that makes some sense is the actual conversion part. Xray couldve done a better job with the tray covering some holes and the way the wires are ran into the receiver box and the way the receiver box itself if put together. they couldve done a better job but the current way is not terrible. anyone with some common sense can figure it out.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
A bit of astro action for those interested

This was a mixed class of nitro and electric running together (4 electric out of 22 total) in the opening race of the new outdoor astro track at Mustit Raceway in Norway.

They ran 3 x 5 min qualifiers, 30 min B-Final and 40 min A-final.

They also had free practice in the morning to get to know the new track.

The video is of Malin running her Xray XB9E in qualification round #3.

She was fighting for the 2nd spot until she got caught under a pipe on the last lap and the marshal didn't see her buggy.
I had to run across track to get the buggy out.
She lost 20 seconds in the process and any chance of catching #2.
But she still finished 3rd for this last qualifier ;-)

And with the 2nd place from round #2 she ended up qualifying #3 for the 40 min. A-final

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bent
good job to her. and the pitman of course. lol
Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Weight

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
How much does your buggy weight? I plan to run the same configuration this winter (rx8 gen2, t8i)

Can you share a picture of your track?
Pulse, sorry I am a little late, been very busy. But here is my weights, 5 lbs 6.8 ounces , or with battery in 6 lbs 11.6 oz, or 3050 grams ( 3.5 KG) with battery ,2460 grams (2.46 KG) without. That is stock out the box with Tekin T8i 1900kv and RX8 Gen2, plus wing and front shock tower protector added. No body and no tires and wheels. The battery I use is Revtech 6700mah 14.8 4s 100C. Hope this helps. Track pics coming soon with video.

Dave

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-11-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Pulse, sorry I am a little late, been very busy. But here is my weights, 5 lbs 6.8 ounces , or with battery in 6 lbs 11.6 oz, or 3050 grams ( 3.5 KG) with battery ,2460 grams (2.46 KG) without. That is stock out the box with Tekin T8i 1900kv and RX8 Gen2, plus wing and front shock tower protector added. No body and no tires and wheels. The battery I use is Revtech 6700mah 14.8 4s 100C. Hope this helps. Track pics coming soon with video.

Dave
no problem! thanks for taking your time to weight the buggy 3,05kg is soooo light it's very good news

I managed to have a 3kg 808 but needed a short course motor with 2s lipos (the t8i wasn't available back then) and that was the extreme limit on a 1/8 scale (heat and amperage)

It must be great to drive at this weight, how do you like it?

can't wait for the vid!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
no problem! thanks for taking your time to weight the buggy 3,05kg is soooo light it's very good news

I managed to have a 3kg 808 but needed a short course motor with 2s lipos (the t8i wasn't available back then) and that was the extreme limit on a 1/8 scale (heat and amperage)

It must be great to drive at this weight, how do you like it?

can't wait for the vid!
I really like the XB9E, I have always been what some would say a service nut. I always like to make sure every thing is clean and in good working order. So I tear down a lot. All components are very easy to get to and service. I have been pushing very hard and wear and tear in the drive is very minimal . Tracks around me are usually very dusty and the shock boots are doing a great job keeping dust out. I was amazed when I took them apart and the fluid came out very clean .The boots are lasting a very long time. My first build went smooth and just no problems at all , all parts fit perfect. I push my battery all the way to the back and for me seems the balance is very good. On jumps it just seems It takes of and lands very well. I changed the setup just a little over factory setup and I feel it is good now for me. Most local tracks here are small , bumpy and very dusty and a lot of tight turns, and the buggy is handling the slick surfaces well. I was asked about zip tie on the ESC , its there just because, not actually holding down the ESC , I use a marine type Velcro so that in emergency I could remove and replace quickly if needed,and I feel the very thick Velcro has more shock absorbency than foam tape to re-leave some of the stress on the ESC. I have no complaints at all. I am running 14t pinion since tracks are small . I am using stock metal spur and its not noisy as I thought it might be, actually very quiet. All I need is just on track time .
Old 10-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey folks,

Hoping I can get some input here. Doesn't the XB9E use the '12 nitro chassis? I've got a '12 chassis that was converted with the K2RC kit. I'm retrofitting it with the XB9E parts. Well, I went to install the new side guards and the holes aren't lining up on the motor side of the chassis. The front and rear holes line up perfectly, but the middle holes don't.

In this pic it's hard to see the front holes, but they're lined up perfectly, as is the very rear hole. But you can see the two middle holes aren't.

Obviously, I can drill a new hole into the plastic to attach the side guard, but has anyone else noticed this? Could I have received the wrong side guard? FYI, the other side looks like the holes are aligned properly.

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Hey folks,

Hoping I can get some input here. Doesn't the XB9E use the '12 nitro chassis? I've got a '12 chassis that was converted with the K2RC kit. I'm retrofitting it with the XB9E parts. Well, I went to install the new side guards and the holes aren't lining up on the motor side of the chassis. The front and rear holes line up perfectly, but the middle holes don't.

In this pic it's hard to see the front holes, but they're lined up perfectly, as is the very rear hole. But you can see the two middle holes aren't.

Obviously, I can drill a new hole into the plastic to attach the side guard, but has anyone else noticed this? Could I have received the wrong side guard? FYI, the other side looks like the holes are aligned properly.

Thanks,
Tommy
The right side guard is attached with just 3 screws, the 2 in the very front and rear as well as the middle one where you actually are missing the extra hole for it in the chassis plate

So if you want it to match the XB9E you will have to drill a hole in the chassis for the last screw in the middle

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 10-11-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added image
Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, Bent. Yeah, I was planning on adding the required hole, but wasn't sure if there may be other issues here. Looks like the XB9E uses the '12 nitro chassis.....but with the addition of that hole shown on your chassis?

If so, I think I'd rather just use the existing chassis hole and add a hole in the guard. Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Thanks, Bent. Yeah, I was planning on adding the required hole, but wasn't sure if there may be other issues here. Looks like the XB9E uses the '12 nitro chassis.....but with the addition of that hole shown on your chassis?

If so, I think I'd rather just use the existing chassis hole and add a hole in the guard. Thoughts?
They have clearly added 1 hole to the chassis for the side guard.

But yeah.....just drill a hole in the side guard........that's what I would've done as well

Bent
Old 10-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I really like the XB9E, I have always been what some would say a service nut. I always like to make sure every thing is clean and in good working order. So I tear down a lot. All components are very easy to get to and service. I have been pushing very hard and wear and tear in the drive is very minimal . Tracks around me are usually very dusty and the shock boots are doing a great job keeping dust out. I was amazed when I took them apart and the fluid came out very clean .The boots are lasting a very long time. My first build went smooth and just no problems at all , all parts fit perfect. I push my battery all the way to the back and for me seems the balance is very good. On jumps it just seems It takes of and lands very well. I changed the setup just a little over factory setup and I feel it is good now for me. Most local tracks here are small , bumpy and very dusty and a lot of tight turns, and the buggy is handling the slick surfaces well. I was asked about zip tie on the ESC , its there just because, not actually holding down the ESC , I use a marine type Velcro so that in emergency I could remove and replace quickly if needed,and I feel the very thick Velcro has more shock absorbency than foam tape to re-leave some of the stress on the ESC. I have no complaints at all. I am running 14t pinion since tracks are small . I am using stock metal spur and its not noisy as I thought it might be, actually very quiet. All I need is just on track time .
Good news! My local tracks are exactly the same as yours I use velcro too on buggy I race endurances with so that I can remove the esc fast if needed. It's perfect to absorb shocks as you just mentioned, but it need to be a strong velcro. Zero zeal vibration from Kyosho is another good option.

Right now I'm running 1/10 and 1/12 scale more. We have a 1/8 indoor challenge too on astro but drivers and track are so agressive I prefer using my old JQ I want to keep my XB9E as fresh as possible for the next outdoor season so I won't be racing with it for now, just training.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've always used zeal tape with velcro on top for my RX8 with a single cable tie for security. cut cable tie and ESC just tears off velcro.. I can swap my 2 RX8's in under 2 minutes.And most of that is rerouting the RX lead.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Has anyone noticed the inside of the front wheels hitting the fronts of the control arms at full lock? This is primarily at droop. At ride height (under its own weight) it has slightly better clearance...but not much.

I'm running 1mm wider hexes and AKA wheels. I reduced my steering throw to prevent this interference (it was cutting my arms), but our new track layout has some very tight areas and I'd like to reduce my turning radius as much as possible.

Thanks!
Tommy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.